Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I watched a little of Biden’s speech.  Why is he so doom and gloom?

Because we’re still not out of the woods yet? I mean not taking it seriously in the first place is why the US is where it is now.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I haven't, but I wiki'd it. The short version is that it's worth investigating, but it won't help us.

It's in the clinic, but for cancer, so we may not even have safety data in healthy adults. We've got some in vitro efficacy data, so that's good, but small molecule antivirals have a really low success rate. The ones that work in a test tube often have other issues (they can't be absorbed into the bloodstream, or they don't get to the tissues they need to go to, or our enzymes chew them up right away), and the ones that don't have those issues to such a level tend to only work at doses that are too high. Behind Alzheimer's and cancer, it's among the toughest other areas.

As a therapy, this is a ways away and may never amount to much. But if it was safe, effective, and we could produce it, this might be helpful. Imagine there's a local area with an outbreak because of low vaccination rates, probably most often in poorer countries. Even if that outbreak won't balloon into a pandemic any more, we'll still want to have something to treat the people we can't vaccinate.

Was really hoping we could find something to help cure this damn thing if contracted but that looks a ways away. Gonna have to rely on natural immunity and the vaccination kind it looks like.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Since it's winter now, I wear a cloth mask and a gaiter over top of it when I go to the store just b/c it's cold outside lol. I won't do this in the summer or when it gets warmer, though..... hopefully b/c  I don't have to but I'm thinking that comes later. One thing covid has made me do is buy fleece gaiters so when I'm walking my damn husky in the winter months, it's not nearly as bad as she prances around enjoying every damn minute of these sub-freezing temps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Because we’re still not out of the woods yet? I mean not taking it seriously in the first place is why the US is where it is now.

It seems like things are getting better but he's saying it'll get worse first and will be several months before the trajectory is changed

13 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It seems like things are getting better but he's saying it'll get worse first and will be several months before the trajectory is changed

He's probably trying to over correct. The WH before his admin took over was wishy washy at best on their COVID-19 message. It looks like he is trying to get those who bought into the original "its just like the flu" messaging to have a come to jesus and take this thing seriously as the light of the end of the tunnel is there albeit still far away. 

• Like 1

Not free:

The Health 202: CDC-backed research finds schools aren't big coronavirus spreaders

Two new papers by researchers for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found scant coronavirus transmission in schools operating in person. Compared with workplaces and nursing homes, schools haven’t seen much spread of the virus. Infection rates were even lower when measures such as mask-wearing and social distancing were employed, Laura Meckler reports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/27/health-202-cdc-backed-research-finds-schools-arent-big-coronavirus-spreaders/

Free:

Opinion: Everyone should be wearing N95 masks now,

If you can’t find one of these masks, or if you’re not sure whether they meet the standards, there’s something you can do right now with confidence: Double-mask with a surgical mask and a cloth mask. The surgical mask gives you good, certified filtration, while the cloth mask on top helps improve the fit. Research shows this can achieve greater than 90 percent filtration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/26/n95-masks-safest-next-best-options/

Not free:

China rolls out anal swab coronavirus tests, saying it’s more accurate than throat method:

Chinese state media outlets introduced the new protocol in recent days, prompting widespread discussion and some outrage. Some Chinese doctors say the science is there. Recovering patients, they say, have continued to test positive through samples from the lower digestive tract days after nasal and throat swabs came back negative.  “Everyone involved will be so embarrassed,” one user in Guangdong province said on Weibo, a Chinese social media platform, on Wednesday. In a Weibo poll, 80 percent of respondents said they “could not accept” the invasive method.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/anal-swab-china-coronavirus/2021/01/27/cc284f56-6054-11eb-a177-7765f29a9524_story.html

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

He's probably trying to over correct. The WH before his admin took over was wishy washy at best on their COVID-19 message. It looks like he is trying to get those who bought into the original "its just like the flu" messaging to have a come to jesus and take this thing seriously as the light of the end of the tunnel is there albeit still far away. 

Not to mention that we’re still projected to reach the 500K death milestone sometime in February.