Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are you saying that where we are now is still successful?

Or where should the number have been? 

Remarking on the fact that America failed, even by that warped metric.

Edited by SwAg
that*
  • Like 1

https://www.timesofisrael.com/vaccine-found-92-effective-in-israel-in-first-controlled-result-outside-trials/

This figure had been posted earlier, but now it's been compared to a control group giving it even more significance. Also, people may look at that 92% figure and think 'damn, not quite 95%, but still really good'. The truth is- theyre measuring those who actually were infected with the virus unlike Pfizer who only measured those who were symptomatic.

This is HUGE news. It's the first study with a control group that provides some proof that these vaccines also PREVENT infection as well, which means once Pfizer confirms it prevents infection, then Im going to sit at a bar and get hammered for the first time since this pandemic hit here in the US (I did outdoor dining during the summer...not the same!)

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

Not free:

Coronavirus variant sweeps South Africa, exhibiting ‘terrifying’ dominance.

The variant identified in South Africa is not yet proved to be more lethal than others, including similarly highly transmissible variants recently detected in Britain and Brazil, but mutations that make it around 50 percent easier to catch have allowed it to stage a takeover of what was already out-of-control community transmission in South Africa. South African studies have also documented dozens of instances of people who contracted earlier strains of the coronavirus being infected with the new variant, suggesting that those who had contracted mild cases or otherwise had low antibody counts might be prone to reinfection. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/south-africa-coronavirus-variant/2021/01/27/1b8ab6a0-5f4d-11eb-a177-7765f29a9524_story.html

Supplemental:

https://cov-lineages.org/global_report_B.1.351.html

Some good news:

Pfizer-BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine appeared to lose only a small bit of effectiveness against an engineered virus with three key mutations from the new coronavirus variant found in South Africa, according to a laboratory study conducted by the U.S. drugmaker. While these findings don’t indicate the need for a new vaccine to address the emerging variants, Pfizer and BioNTech are prepared to respond if a variant of SARS-CoV-2 shows evidence of escaping immunity by the Covid-19 vaccine, the companies said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pfizer-vaccine-only-slightly-less-effective-against-key-parts-south-n1255959?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR0oKMKx-PcfbZoR3GwfUYcU_jqsLRx--6UC66ZMUNayE_trDxqgKKI2-tY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That week of R values in the 0.75 range sure look nice. Lowest numbers we've had since this started.

Baby steps.

I check this site every day but don't know how valid it is. I do refence rt.live and they seem to mimic each other for the most part but you need to take into account the 3 day lag w/ reproduction.live and remember what you saw.

I actually just got done looking at it for the first time today and notice that, according to this site, we're under 1 million currently infectious people. First time it's been this way since November 9th and cases are dropping at a rate of 30-40k/day. Best thing about this data (again, I take it w/ a grain of salt) is that every state has an R value below one w/ the lag so I'm thinking it has to be better.

It's encouraging but like you said, baby steps. We need to get as many people taken care of as possible before the ****show that will be late March (spring break/St Paddy's Day) so that the surge is as minimal as possible. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I check this site every day but don't know how valid it is. I do refence rt.live and they seem to mimic each other for the most part but you need to take into account the 3 day lag w/ reproduction.live and remember what you saw.

I actually just got done looking at it for the first time today and notice that, according to this site, we're under 1 million currently infectious people. First time it's been this way since November 9th and cases are dropping at a rate of 30-40k/day. Best thing about this data (again, I take it w/ a grain of salt) is that every state has an R value below one w/ the lag so I'm thinking it has been better.

It's encouraging but like you said, baby steps. We need to get as many people taken care of as possible before the ****show that will be late March (spring break/St Paddy's Day) so that the surge is as minimal as possible. 

Yeah the raw numbers can vary a fair bit given how high the cases are right now, but the trends are all pointing in the same direction. And the R-values being lower than it ever consistently says to me this can't all be weather and lockdowns. We're winning.

At our current 7 day average, we'd have 60 million more shots in arms by St. Paddys day, for about 85 million total. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah the raw numbers can vary a fair bit given how high the cases are right now, but the trends are all pointing in the same direction. And the R-values being lower than it ever consistently says to me this can't all be weather and lockdowns. We're winning.

At our current 7 day average, we'd have 60 million more shots in arms by St. Paddys day, for about 85 million total. 

It annoying we have to wait so long to say the bold but whatever, just glad we can. 

• Like 1

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/johnson--johnson-announces-single-shot-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-met-primary-endpoints-in-interim-analysis-of-its-phase-3-ensemble-trial-301218035.html

J&J is 72% effective. Excellent for a single shot if I'm understanding and effective against the SA variant. 

Let's get this **** rolled out ASAP. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1