Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Not free:

Virus variant first detected in the U.K. has been deadlier, study confirms.

U.K. scientists now say the variant is probably 30 to 70 percent more deadly, based on a follow-up study by the government released Friday that assessed a larger sample size of covid-19 patients and also found a higher rate of hospitalization. So far, the makers of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccines have said their products remain effective against the latest forms of the virus. Studies of these variants and the various vaccines under development or emergency use are ongoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/02/13/virus-variant-first-detected-uk-has-been-deadlier-study-confirms/

57 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:
8 hours ago, Xenos said:

God, this is not the time to be removing mask mandates. I’m looking at you Nebraska.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2AE0SL

Agreed. We're so damn close to the end. Just have to be diligent for another few months

How do you expect them to husk corn with a mask on?

Have some consideration for their blight.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Aren't some smart people saying that we'll have to learn to live with this like the flu?

It's not likely to be eradicated like the measles, no. However, the hope is that it isnt nearly as communicable as it is now and it becomes manageable. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://reproduction.live/world/US is stating that our R value has been below 7 the past couple days. This has never happened since data has been tracking it. Currently an estimated 540k are currently infectious as of 2/12. Lowest since 10/25 and an estimated 733k were infectious on 2/5. That's a major damn drop!!

That may be a glitch. They only report 7k new cases on 12 Feb, so they may have used that number to calculate the R. 

Not that the overall trends aren't still amazing. it just might be 0.75 instead of 0.7.

• Like 1

5% of Maine is vaccinated. Seems like that's relatively inline with other states? Either way, it's nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel finally. 

Speaking of positives, what are some silver linings from all of this for you guys? For me, I feel like the pandemic really sort of "slowed my life down" and allowed me to grow some of my personal relationships, including with my girlfriend, her family, etc. It made me be really thoughtful of how I wanted to spend my time, and in a way, opened my eyes to things, relationships, etc. that I was wasting my time on.

18 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That may be a glitch. They only report 7k new cases on 12 Feb, so they may have used that number to calculate the R. 

Not that the overall trends aren't still amazing. it just might be 0.75 instead of 0.7.

They just bumped it up .74 so yeah, looks like you were right. Good catch