What one piece would make the Colts serious contenders?

MacReady

Say your team could add one player at an all-pro level this year by a breakout rookie or by a second year player, or surprise performance from a JAG player already on the roster.  What piece would it be? 

Left tackle?  Pass rusher?  Cornerback?  Running back? 

I think it's pass rusher.  I don't see a legitimate one on the Colts entire roster.  I think Hooker will have a disappointing season this year because of the lack of a pass rush, but if the Colts hit on a pass rusher next year, I think they'll finally have a roster good enough to be a legitimate contender with Luck. 

Yes, pass rusher is the biggest issue. I think the signings of Simon and Sheard will be good for 8-12 sacks. And I think Tarell Bashem could be rotated in semi-regularly and get 5 sacks himself. But I don't think we have a double digit guy on the roster this year.

I do think that the improvements made to the DL (Hankins especially) could actually help Hooker but Clayton Geathers health would do wonders for Hooker. 

On 7/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, stallyns said:

Yes, pass rusher is the biggest issue. I think the signings of Simon and Sheard will be good for 8-12 sacks. And I think Tarell Bashem could be rotated in semi-regularly and get 5 sacks himself. But I don't think we have a double digit guy on the roster this year.

I do think that the improvements made to the DL (Hankins especially) could actually help Hooker but Clayton Geathers health would do wonders for Hooker. 

I think if you're going in terms of positional value, pass rusher would most likely be the #2 position after QB.  Last year, Indianapolis was 19th in terms of sacks with 11 of them coming from Erik Walden.  At this point, the Colts haven't re-signed Erik Walden and are likely going with Jabaal Sheard and John Simon as their starting OLB.  The two of them combined had a total of 8.5 sacks last season, so improved production out of that position is going to be huge.

I also feel like they'd benefit significantly from having a shutdown corner.  They were 26th in opponents YPA, 28th in opponents QBR, and 29th in interceptions.  Quite frankly, in a league that is becoming more and more passing heavy, having a legitimate secondary is going to be crucial to finding success.  I was a big fan of the Malik Hooker selection, but health is going to be significant question moving forward with him.  If he can stay healthy, he can be an impact safety who covers a ton of ground.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived