2010s Comedy - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

In Bruges should take it

that or Wet Hot American Summer

In Bruges will definitely be a nom.  Though I think it, and a lot of other black comedies, do skirt the line a bit.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

They don't think Fargo is a comedy. 

I think it's kinda on the line.  It's funny, and it's been typically called a comedy, but the plot is classic true crime.  If someone wanted it in the drama category, I wouldn't get into an argument about it.  I may even call it a drama just so I can throw my 90s comedy support behind The Big Lebowski instead.

Just now, Daniel said:

I think it's kinda on the line.  It's funny, and it's been typically called a comedy, but the plot is classic true crime.  If someone wanted it in the drama category, I wouldn't get into an argument about it.  I may even call it a drama just so I can throw my 90s comedy support behind The Big Lebowski instead.

If you don't think Fargo is a black comedy before anything else, revisit it. 

If anybody can sit and watch that movie without seeing the obvious humor in every single line, they've got the sense of humor of a 10-year-old. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If you don't think Fargo is a black comedy before anything else, revisit it. 

If anybody can sit and watch that movie without seeing the obvious humor in every single line, they've got the sense of humor of a 10-year-old. 

I'm not saying it's not primarily a comedy.  I'm saying I understand the argument, since it is a blend of genres.

Just now, Daniel said:

I'm not saying it's not primarily a comedy.  I'm saying I understand the argument, since it is a blend of genres.

But there are some people who can't see the abundantly obvious comedy in it, and that makes me think of those people as having the IQ of a chipmunk. 

3 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

if you laugh during it, its a comedy

There are funny parts in all of these films as well, so then they are all comedies also.  If all you need to do is laugh a few times to qualify it as a comedy, that bar is pretty damn low then.

No Country for Old Men
The Fugitive
Mississippi Burning
Se7en
Blood Simple
Reservoir Dogs
Glengarry Glen Ross
Michael Clayton
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Deliverance
Animal Kingdom
Zodiac
Dog Day Afternoon
Marathon Man

Vote for it as a comedy, see if it makes it into the 1990s section which is crazy deep.   People that view Fargo as only a comedy clearly have a pretty warped sense of humor, it is funny but not consistent enough.  Then again some think killing your in-laws in a murder game is so hilarious..... 

Just now, Bullet Club said:

21 Jump Street

Game Night

Blockers

Hall Pass

We're the Millers

I forgot about Hall Pass and We're the Millers, those both are pretty damn good, especially Hall Pass.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

There are funny parts in all of these films as well, so then they are all comedies also.  If all you need to do is laugh a few times to qualify it as a comedy, that bar is pretty damn low then.

Toneally it should be obvious that movies like Ready or Not, Fargo, and Cabin in the Woods are comedies and Seven, No Country for Old Men, and Zodiac are not 

Toneally, Fargo clearly has a lot of comedic elements

Just now, Malfatron said:

I would def nominate Burn After Reading as well

Burn After Reading is a no question about it comedy, not sure it makes the cut in the 2000s though there is some quality there as well, would not make top 5 for me. 

Brad Pitt's character in that is hilarious, but is also great in ******(blocks out the word?) as well.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Ozzy