Big Passing Plays Given Up By the Defense (Falcons Game)

CWood21

For the record, I'm defining anything as a big play as 15+ yards.  And I'm not very tech savvy, but if anyone can provide GIFS I'd love you forever.  Maybe @AlexGreen#20 has the capabilities.

1st Quarter

14:23 - The Falcons are in the 21 formation with Julio Jones lined up on the left side of the formation.  Julio Jones runs a quick out route, which Damarious Randall sort of jumps the route thinking it's going to be a slant route and recovers reasonably well.  Unfortunately, he misses a tackle on Jones that would have limited it to ~5 yard gain and turns into a 15 yard gain for Julio Jones.  Good coverage, poor tackling by Damarious Randall.

13:18 - The Falcons are in the 12 formation with Julio Jones again lined up on the left side of the formation.  I'm not sure if the play design had a free release for Julio Jones, but matching a WR with 4.39 speed against a CB whose slower than him.  Honestly, without knowing whether or not the scheme had any sort of jam, this seems like a poor play call.  Or if you want to blame Randall, there was no attempt to disrupt Jones' route.

2nd Quarter

14:55 - Falcons are going 4 wide receivers, two to each side before flexing Freeman out of the backfield pre-snap.  Morgan Burnett is playing spy on Freeman, and as soon as he releases from the backfield Burnett goes with him.  HHCD takes an absolutely horrible route to the receiver, and ends up overplaying the ball and Mohammed Sanu makes a 24 yard gain instead of a ~7 yard gain.  Rollins gets absolutely turned around by the Sanu route.  And that was compacted by a bad tackle by Rollins after the catch as well.

13:25 - Falcons are in the shotgun with 4 wide, and Freeman in the backfield.  They motion Julio Jones pre-snap, and the lack of communication between Burnett and Rollins gives Julio Jones a huge cushion to catch the ball.  Good play call by the Falcons here, so you have to give them credit for that one.  But you have to be aware of where Julio Jones is at all times.

12:08 - The Falcons are in the 11 formation.  Good route by Hardy, and House actually played this one pretty well.  Just have to chalk that one up to a good route run by Hardy.

5:58 - Falcons running the 12 formation again.  Kentrell Brice gets caught peeking in the backfield, and doesn't realize Julio Jones streaking in front of him leading to the big catch.

0:36 - Again, 12 formation.  Randle bites hard on a double move, and ends up getting beat deep because of it.

And from what I saw, I didn't see any big plays in the passing game in the 2nd half.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

13:18 - The Falcons are in the 12 formation with Julio Jones again lined up on the left side of the formation.  I'm not sure if the play design had a free release for Julio Jones, but matching a WR with 4.39 speed against a CB whose slower than him.  Honestly, without knowing whether or not the scheme had any sort of jam, this seems like a poor play call.  Or if you want to blame Randall, there was no attempt to disrupt Jones' route.

They covered this play in depth on X's and O's with Leroy Butler (http://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/19/5-questions-and-xs-and-os-with-leroy-butler/90326198/).

(right-click > open in icognito window to avoid access limit)

Should be more blame here for the safeties. Last play you listed in the 1st Q is clearly a double team on Julio by the way it's set up. Dom doesn't want Randall pressing because Randall cant get beat on his outside shoulder as he has no help there. Randall is playing off because he knows the front side of Jones should be covered by the field side safety. Brice goes all the way to the box getting fooled on PA and doesn't even look to find Jones after he realizes it's a pass. Massive failure on his part.

First play of the 2nd Q is the same thing. This was obviously a "robber" call. HHCD is supposed to show playing deep and jump the crosser. Rollins gives ground to Sanu inside because they want to funnel the throw there. Dom obviously watched the NFCCG film and saw how Matt Ryan looked for that crosser first. I don't know if it was an audible from Morgan Burnett or a call from the box from Dom, but it was a perfect call on a perfect play, should've been a pick 6, HHCD just massively fails.

Brice and HHCD were worse than any CB on the team in ATL to me.

Archived