Sign in to follow this  
DizzyDean

A serious question

We have to face reality.  If a cure for this nasty virus is not found, the 2020 season is in real jeopardy.

my question is, how does this effect player contracts?  Will all of these 1 year deals that we are handing out to players make them a free agent in 2021 without ever playing a snap for us?

I assume there are provisions in the new cba to protect the players so they will still be paid and not lose a year.

Also, what about the 2021 draft?  Will it run with the same draft order as this years draft?

A conceivable option would be playing the games in an empty stadium, but let’s be real.  That would suck.  Picture Browns vs Steelers, close game late in the 4th, Steelers driving, into the Dawg Pound, and there is absolutely no crowd noise.

Schefter said there’s a coronavirus clause in these contracts.

30 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Schefter said there’s a coronavirus clause in these contracts.

Did he share specifics?

If the season doesn’t go on, a contract year does not play out. No ones contract will advance a year

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Did he share specifics?

The corona clause is basically if the player fails the physical when they are able to sign their contracts, they lose their signing bonus. for example, Hooper, who agreed to a four-year deal worth $42 million, including an $18.5 million signing bonus and $23 million guaranteed over the first two years. His contract automatically turns into 4yr/$23.5m. He loses that $18.5m. So good reason not to get hurt or sick 

Not every team has used that kind of clause. No word if the browns are one of them. 

Edited by buno67

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

The corona clause is basically if the player fails the physical when they are able to sign their contracts, they lose their signing bonus. for example, Hooper, who agreed to a four-year deal worth $42 million, including an $18.5 million signing bonus and $23 million guaranteed over the first two years. His contract automatically turns into 4yr/$23.5m. He loses that $18.5m. So good reason not to get hurt or sick 

Not every team has used that kind of clause. No word if the browns are one of them. 

Yeah that’s not at all what I meant.  I meant if the season is shut down.

I am certain the players will have protections in the CBA to still be paid at the least.

I could also see a LOT of problems from many players if they lose an accrued year toward free agency and a bigger payday through no fault of their own.

Is there an official source regarding this or just speculation?

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I am certain the players will have protections in the CBA to still be paid at the least.

I could also see a LOT of problems from many players if they lose an accrued year toward free agency and a bigger payday through no fault of their own.

Here’s how the NBA does it: They have a force majeure provision, which allows the league to withhold 1/92.6 of a player's salary per canceled game if the cancellation occurs due to catastrophic circumstances. Pandemics are included in the language of the provision.

You’re really freaking out over nothing. If the NBA has this, do you think the NFL doesn’t?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

If they don’t play, they don’t get paid. If the seasons isn’t played they don’t accrue a year on the contract either  

they have always gotten paid with weekly game checks outside of signing bonuses, roster bonuses, and other stuff like they. 

Edited by buno67