It's been too quiet! Do you think we are in the process for big moves coming soon, or status quo?

The silence has been deafening....

Do you think that we are in the process of some huge moves on the horizon just before the draft?

IE example: aquiring QB Cam Newton?

Trading Trent?

Making a trade for a WR? Like OBJ...A.J. Green, etc.

A TE like O.J. Howard or so?

Or....

Do you believe things remain the same. Boring....status quo?

I ask for a couple of a reasons.

1) I thought the staff was truly wanting to add draft capital. If we aren't making trades for that draft capital? Then I only have 1 assumption of the direction we are going come draft day. TRADE DOWN!

Which sucks, cause I really want Chase Young on this team.

2)Haskins?

Don't we want him to succeed?

I'm no genius & I'm sure the coaches have a much better grasp on their player personel than myself.

But one would think that if you have a young QB & you want him not only to improve, but succeed.

That you give him some pieces around him to do so.

The Bills are doing it with the addition of Diggs. (QB Josh Allen)

The Broncos are doing it with the addition of RB Gordon. (QB Drew Lock)

The Cardinals are doing it with the addition of DeAndre Hopkins. (QB Kyler Murray)

Even already good teams are reloading for the upcoming season. Seattle, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.

I thought Rivera said we are not rebuilding. That he came here to change the culture & that this was not some 3-year building process. (Paraphrasing a little, but something along those lines)

We have plenty of cap & plenty of holes to fill.

What is he waiting for, or who?

I guess I'm just at a loss on what we are trying to do.

We were willing to drop a 100+M on Amari Cooper, so it's not like we aren't interested in anybody.

Football is year to year. I understand patience, but I also understand urgency.

Seems like we're leaning a little further to one side here.

If we take too long, our #2 WR might be playing in the XFL.

And that doesn't embolden me with confidence.

Sure, I can accept we may not be great next season. That we most likely will be looking at dbl digit losses again.

But...I don't know....Can we at least try?

Help me understand...

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I honestly have no idea what their plan is but if we keep Ryan Kerrigan/extend him and trade away the opportunity to draft Chase Young so we can get a couple extra picks I'll really start to worry about the direction of this team. 

I agree with you 100%

When was the last time a "big splash FA" helped us. We need to build through the draft and not overpay underperformers. Honestly I'm ok with how things have gone so far. We need to fill a couple more holes (TE being the biggest one) and then draft Chase Young. We are not going to be a finished product this year. There is no instant satisfaction a transition and (damn good) culture change.

Hang in there.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I honestly have no idea what their plan is but if we keep Ryan Kerrigan/extend him and trade away the opportunity to draft Chase Young so we can get a couple extra picks I'll really start to worry about the direction of this team. 

I can see us trading back to SD. Idky but lately I feel like that’s what we do and If we do I believe it’s because they feel like they maybe missed on Cooper and maybe they want more picks because they really want to get multiple players on offense and defense. But I don’t want to trade I want Young and for a healthy roster. I think we have a solid plan if we can make our IR  list be 1/2 what it has been which would be average I believe we’re better. A healthy backfield is key for this team. But we have to move Trent!!! But we do need more picks.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

When was the last time a "big splash FA" helped us. We need to build through the draft and not overpay underperformers. Honestly I'm ok with how things have gone so far. We need to fill a couple more holes (TE being the biggest one) and then draft Chase Young. We are not going to be a finished product this year. There is no instant satisfaction a transition and (damn good) culture change.

Hang in there.

Desean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Josh Norman his first two years, Landon Collins was our best defensive player last year, London Fletcher etc. I mean, they haven't all been bad but I do agree we shouldn't be going after the big splash. I wasn't under the impression that paying Austin Hooper $10m a year would be a big splash. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Hang in there.

I think health and a good culture will highlight the talent we have. I don’t think we’re void of talent. We need it to stay healthy be in shape and play together. That’s 4 wins right there. With progression from our youth in Sweat and Haskins and Terry being key you can’t cap a win total if all 3 made leaps with the addition of another productive draft class like last years your talking about a good young team. But classes like last years aren’t always key. Last years class was deep and we took advantage. There’s deep positions in this class where we have needs and we can get value we have to make the right picks. And a Healthy backfield would be huge with the expected growth on defense under DelRio

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I can see us trading back to SD. Idky but lately I feel like that’s what we do and If we do I believe it’s because they feel like they maybe missed on Cooper and maybe they want more picks because they really want to get multiple players on offense and defense. But I don’t want to trade I want Young and for a healthy roster. I think we have a solid plan if we can make our IR  list be 1/2 what it has been which would be average I believe we’re better. A healthy backfield is key for this team. But we have to move Trent!!! But we do need more picks.

The weird thing to me is if we're moving on from Trent and we aren't signing anybody to improve the roster then why in the world are we holding onto Scherff and Kerrigan? There's more draft picks just sitting on this roster right there. A team that looks like it's probably not going to compete for at least two seasons should not be holding onto a 28-year old guard that's going to cost you $16M a season. And while I would hate to stunt Haskins growth, they already are by flat out ignoring TE. This was the major issue I had with giving a coach 100% roster control. We seem to have no plan at all.

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The weird thing to me is if we're moving on from Trent and we aren't signing anybody to improve the roster then why in the world are we holding onto Scherff and Kerrigan? There's more draft picks just sitting on this roster right there. A team that looks like it's probably not going to compete for at least two seasons should not be holding onto a 28-year old guard that's going to cost you $16M a season. And while I would hate to stunt Haskins growth, they already are by flat out ignoring TE. This was the major issue I had with giving a coach 100% roster control. We seem to have no plan at all.

But I think they stuck too their plan. Their main all in target was Cooper. It was a move that would weaken Dallas and improve us until people watch his drops and constant injury build up because he’s a long strider with a very physical in and out of his breaks. I am happy we didn’t get him at our cost. I hope that was to drive up Dallas. And I think we drove up a price for Bradberry. I think there’s a plan for this team and this roster. Imagine this team competeing in games with our defensive staff and a raw rookie QB. I have to believe Rivera thinks there’s a lot to like.

I think the focus and splash of the offseason has always been Chase Young!!! And I think he’s the biggest addition any team can make this offseason along of Burrow and Hopkins going to AZ to help Murray.I’ll get back to that. But Chase I think really is going to be a instant great. He just has pro level game and he showed it against all the good ones even being doubled. He’s a instant impact even if he shows 7 to 10 sacks of everyone else’s go up 2 or 3 on our DL then it’s a huge addition.

I’m not the biggest Hop guy as his push off game is 🔥🔥🔥 but so are his hands and just the price paid from AZ. But if he’s gonna be a locker headache then it could hurt Murray because I feel like Watson hasn’t progressed as much as I thought he could. Maybe Hop is hurting the offense because the splash plays are there. But the impact on meaningful games isn’t there

Edited by ripsean21

Its clear to me that Ron Rivera and Co. are trying to flip this roster. Just like they flipped the front office, coaching staff and medical staff. I am all for it as we are clearly the worst team in the division. What is Austin Hooper going to do? What is Amari Cooper going to do? We were 3-13 last year and have many, many holes. I don't believe a couple difference makers at skills positions will make this team a legitimate contender in the division.

My assumption is the goal for 2020-2021 is to change the culture, continue to develop the young players and maintain flexibility. Unfortunately for the fans, this could and should have been done in 2019-2020. However, Snyder chose to drag his feet and we are here at yet again another reset.

In the not so distant past, all Redskins fans really wanted was for Bruce Allen and his cronies to be wiped out and for a football guys(s) to make decisions. Well now we have that, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

I really think a #2 WR could be a huge help for Haskins.

Obviously, it would be nice to get another McLaurin. His skills & character are excellent.

Without a 2nd, we're hoping one drops in the 3rd or later. It's not easy to hit on a WR period & moreso later in the draft.

And usually when you do, it takes said player a few years to do so.

Terry McLaurin is the exception to the rule.

I hope we somehow land a vet WR with the same character as McLaurin. That would be huge going into the draft. Specially knowing Sims can play the slot.

I also hope we land Jason Peters or re-sign what's his face from last yr.

That would make TE, the only true major need on Offense going into the draft.

1 minute ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Its clear to me that Ron Rivera and Co. are trying to flip this roster. Just like they flipped the front office, coaching staff and medical staff. I am all for it as we are clearly the worst team in the division. What is Austin Hooper going to do? What is Amari Cooper going to do? We were 3-13 last year and have many, many holes. I don't believe a couple difference makers at skills positions will make this team a legitimate contender in the division.

My assumption is the goal for 2020-2021 is to change the culture, continue to develop the young players and maintain flexibility. Unfortunately for the fans, this could and should have been done in 2019-2020. However, Snyder chose to drag his feet and we are here at yet again another reset.

In the not so distant past, all Redskins fans really wanted was for Bruce Allen and his cronies to be wiped out and for a football guys(s) to make decisions. Well now we have that, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

With that in mind, what is Kerrigan, Scherff or Dunbar going to do? Why are we keeping them? They should all be dealt for draft picks. Same with Trent.

• Like 1

If trading Trent is a big splash, then I think they’ll do that. Maybe they get a TE worked into that deal (Njoku, Howard, Herndon, etc.), or maybe they do a player swap with Dunbar to get a quality TE/WR. 

Otherwise, I doubt it. They appear to be gunshy, afraid to make a “mistake.” Hence all the short contracts and “depth/role” players and “good football character” guys who they believe won’t let them down. Part of which is understandable, because it’s the first time really in this role for both Ron and Kyle. 

But I also think some of this is trickling down from the top. I’ve mentioned numerous times over the past few years that I feel Dan is retreating and trying to avoid making waves. I think he’s very sensitive to criticism, and I think he has learned over 20 years of trial and error that the best way to avoid getting criticized is to avoid doing things that will bring you attention and divided opinions. Every time he tries to do something a little bit aggressive or outside the box, this message gets reinforced (e.g., RGIII trade, bucking the push to keep Cousins, picking up Reuben Foster, etc.) because they haven’t gone well and he’s gotten pilloried yet again. 

So I think he’s become extremely risk-averse, and I think that combined with a tentative new personnel duo is causing the organization to go even deeper in its shell. Yes, they supposedly went hard after Cooper — but not hard enough. Since when does Dan Snyder back down in landing FAs they’ve targeted, especially when the guy is a bona fide, capital S “Star Player” who they’d be stealing from Dallas? Even the “big” move they did make, signing Kendall Fuller, was one clearly calculated to get positive reviews: the analytics people love(d) him, the beat reporters had a great story to run with on him coming back, and the fans were aching to see that mistake of a trade rectified. It was also clearly an overpay, but they knew there would be enough goodwill around the player that folks would overlook it and praise the move. 

I don’t expect this to change, at least until they start winning again. I think they’re going to remain conservative and risk-averse in their approach to personnel, and who knows? Maybe it works better than the other (Cerrato era) approach. It’s definitely much more boring this time of year, though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

With that in mind, what is Kerrigan, Scherff or Dunbar going to do? Why are we keeping them? They should all be dealt for draft picks. Same with Trent.

I agree with your post Lavar, with the exception to trading Kerrigan.

He's a true Redskin & the consumate professional.

Is he over the hill? Probably

But he's exactly what the coaches point at, when describing culture change & what they expect out of all the players during practice.

It's also why we signed OLB Thomas Davis Sr. Same love for the game, same respect & same character. The dude is almost 37 yrs old.

But players need a visual, when adapting to what kind of player to be like. A role model so to speak.

Not just words coming out of the coaches mouth. Kerrigan & Davis are tangible evidence of the kind of team Rivera demands & expects from the other 50+ guys on the roster.

Trent Williams & Dunbar need to be on the first train out of town.

I would like draft capital for both of them that can help this team.

But right now, I would trade them for 4 eggs, 4 pieces of crispy bacon, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, a side of hash browns, a side of buiscuts & gravy & a cup of coffee.

I ask for that, because I know a roll of toilet paper would be asking for way too much in value.

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If trading Trent is a big splash, then I think they’ll do that. Maybe they get a TE worked into that deal (Njoku, Howard, Herndon, etc.), or maybe they do a player swap with Dunbar to get a quality TE/WR. 

Otherwise, I doubt it. They appear to be gunshy, afraid to make a “mistake.” Hence all the short contracts and “depth/role” players and “good football character” guys who they believe won’t let them down. Part of which is understandable, because it’s the first time really in this role for both Ron and Kyle. 

But I also think some of this is trickling down from the top. I’ve mentioned numerous times over the past few years that I feel Dan is retreating and trying to avoid making waves. I think he’s very sensitive to criticism, and I think he has learned over 20 years of trial and error that the best way to avoid getting criticized is to avoid doing things that will bring you attention and divided opinions. Every time he tries to do something a little bit aggressive or outside the box, this message gets reinforced (e.g., RGIII trade, bucking the push to keep Cousins, picking up Reuben Foster, etc.) because they haven’t gone well and he’s gotten pilloried yet again. 

So I think he’s become extremely risk-averse, and I think that combined with a tentative new personnel duo is causing the organization to go even deeper in its shell. Yes, they supposedly went hard after Cooper — but not hard enough. Since when does Dan Snyder back down in landing FAs they’ve targeted, especially when the guy is a bona fide, capital S “Star Player” who they’d be stealing from Dallas? Even the “big” move they did make, signing Kendall Fuller, was one clearly calculated to get positive reviews: the analytics people love(d) him, the beat reporters had a great story to run with on him coming back, and the fans were aching to see that mistake of a trade rectified. It was also clearly an overpay, but they knew there would be enough goodwill around the player that folks would overlook it and praise the move. 

I don’t expect this to change, at least until they start winning again. I think they’re going to remain conservative and risk-averse in their approach to personnel, and who knows? Maybe it works better than the other (Cerrato era) approach. It’s definitely much more boring this time of year, though. 

What would you say to Trent and Dunbar for Howard and a 2nd and a 4th or 5th rounder? I feel like the Bucs won’t want to trade Howard knowing he could be Brady’s safety outlet but I feel like that’s actually beneficial to to both teams as the Bucs have a need at CB and LT.