Bears sign Artie Burns

beardown3231

Draft Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/artie-burns?id=2555344

Draft Analysis:

"Burns is a tall cornerback and he has world-class speed. He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft." -- Mike Mayock

Sounds a bit like Tolliver.  Super athlete who depended on that more than he should have in college.  Had a nice rookie year but seems to have been in a decline since then.  Former 1st round pick so he's someone worth looking at.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurnAr00.htm

• Like 1

He was dreadfully bad for us. I think a lot of it had to do with confidence and an overly complicated defense when he was drafted. I think a fresh start will do him good. He has all the tools in the world. Maybe a new DC will breath something into him. At the absolute least, you're getting a really good ST gunner. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He was dreadfully bad for us. I think a lot of it had to do with confidence and an overly complicated defense when he was drafted. I think a fresh start will do him good. He has all the tools in the world. Maybe a new DC will breath something into him. At the absolute least, you're getting a really good ST gunner. 

Our CB2 plays a lot of very simple press man coverage, so hopefully that removes the mental hurdles for him.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Our CB2 plays a lot of very simple press man coverage, so hopefully that removes the mental hurdles for him.

Well you might be pleasantly surprised by him. Press man is pretty much all he can do. Our defense was hot mess when he was drafted. He needed a more structured system. Even when we got better he still lagged behind. I’ll always root for him and I hope he can turn it around for you guys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Well you might be pleasantly surprised by him. Press man is pretty much all he can do. Our defense was hot mess when he was drafted. He needed a more structured system. Even when we got better he still lagged behind. I’ll always root for him and I hope he can turn it around for you guys.

If they use him as Fangio used Prince he will be the press guy and EJax will favor his side. Fuller will play off so he will not get burned as often and if anything might need the SS closer for support when the quick passes are completed. When Prince would not be able to get a good press and the guy gets behind him EJax keeps it from being a long score. 

Of course Pagano would need to get back to that kind of scheme so who knows? Last hey he had 2 FS and put EJax toward the LOS more than he did HHCD. I personally disagreed with that. You don't take your best players out of their element when depth could have compensated. (Use Bush more on early downs as run support and then HHCD and EJax both could be deep in cover 2 or 3) 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He might be able to turn it around to a point, but youre making too many excuses for him.   He was a 3rd round talent at best that we reached for because of his physical tools.   His game speed isnt nearly as fast as his straight line speed, he has no ability to track the ball in the air and he showed no real progression in his time here.

Im not trying to bash this move for the Bears nor do I hate Burns.  This is a cheap, low risk move for the Bears and being in a great defense cant hurt, but you really better hope he doesnt become a starter.    His physical tools simply dont make up for the intangibles he lacks, and they are exposed the more he is on the field.

Hope for a quality depth player, at best.

• Like 3