Bears sign Artie Burns

beardown3231

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He was dreadfully bad for us. I think a lot of it had to do with confidence and an overly complicated defense when he was drafted. I think a fresh start will do him good. He has all the tools in the world. Maybe a new DC will breath something into him. At the absolute least, you're getting a really good ST gunner. 

With Burns and Cordarrelle we're gonna have the best damn pair of gunners the NFL has ever seen, love it, seriously how good of a gunner is Cordarrelle.

I'm happy to take a look at Burns, even if he's struggled in Pittsburgh. Kind of like how we're going at the #2 CB spot. Three-man competition there at the minute with Tolliver, Roberson and now Burns. And wouldn't be surprised if there's a day three draft pick thrown in the mix too. Whoever wins the job will have earned it, will be a fun battle to watch in preseason (unless they're all garbage).

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He might be able to turn it around to a point, but youre making too many excuses for him.   He was a 3rd round talent at best that we reached for because of his physical tools.   His game speed isnt nearly as fast as his straight line speed, he has no ability to track the ball in the air and he showed no real progression in his time here.

Im not trying to bash this move for the Bears nor do I hate Burns.  This is a cheap, low risk move for the Bears and being in a great defense cant hurt, but you really better hope he doesnt become a starter.    His physical tools simply dont make up for the intangibles he lacks, and they are exposed the more he is on the field.

Hope for a quality depth player, at best.

That is fair. 

He is still 24 and an athlete.  A lot of guys in draft are 23-24.   Odds are he is what he is, but he is still young enough and athletic enough to make a career turn around.