Raiders sign WR Nelson Agholor

oakdb36

i think Aghlor will be very helpful for us running these drag routes and getting YaC out the slot.  His speed to hit the seam from the slot will be helpful in stretching the field. He’s the opposite of Renfrow.  Imo it’s good to have both types of players.

if the FA market has collapsed this bad maybe we can add another cheap WR like Perriman or Robinson.

24 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Veteran salary benefit means the cap hit is even less than that. Not sure how we got him to sign for so little.

Yes, the cap hit is basically subsidized so as not to discourage teams from signing veterans due to higher minimum salary costs.  But teams can get around this by offering a bonus.  There are limits to the bonuses though.  You can’t do minimum salary and $5M bonus and qualify for the cap relief. 

This is a very good signing for us.  The cost was amazing and I think it at least limits the NEED to draft 2 WRs high.  

i think he’s going out compliment Renfrow in the slot nicely.  He’s got the speed Renfrow does but he’s also a good route runner in his own right.  And the drops seem like happen mostly deep passes where he doesn’t track the ball correctly.  I think he’s going to be running a lot of slant and drag routes and will be a nice check down option as well as YAC guy on those slants.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

This is a very good signing for us.  The cost was amazing and I think it at least limits the NEED to draft 2 WRs high.  

i think he’s going out compliment Renfrow in the slot nicely.  He’s got the speed Renfrow does but he’s also a good route runner in his own right.  And the drops seem like happen mostly deep passes where he doesn’t track the ball correctly.  I think he’s going to be running a lot of slant and drag routes and will be a nice check down option as well as YAC guy on those slants.

Agreed, it’s so cheap that it’s a shot to nothing on a player who has shown a little talent but also as you say, we’re not forced into taking two receivers now. We can keep our powder dry and wait for a talent to fall to us in those middle rounds. I think we still need a quality WR to round out the top of the unit but we have a variety of skill sets with Williams, Renfrow, Ateman and Agholor which can compliment that #1 guy.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 6:03 AM, big_palooka said:

Agholor is clearly better than that lot. He's the #2 until an eventual rookie can unseat him.  He has skills those others don't.

If we take a rookie at #12 he's surely going to be slotted into one of the starting WR spots alongside Williams with Renfrow in the slot. 

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2020/03/dont-let-recency-bias-overshadow-nelson-agholors-fantastic-2017-super-bowl-season.html

This was Agholor’s third season, and a big reason for his success was his permanent move to the slot, where he was able to catch passes, turn, run, and chunk up YAC yardage. According to NFL NextGen Stats, Agholor led the Birds that season with 5.3 yards on average after the catch, a number higher than what statisticians predicted for him via the league’s x/YAC number. The presence of Torrey Smith, who stayed healthy that year, meant that Agholor was not shuffled inside and outside like he was in 2018 and 2019, when Mike Wallace and DeSean Jackson went down. The consistency in the slot allowed him to flourish while running routes that looked like this:

Reading this, he sounds like a much better fit for Gruden's WCO

• Like 3