Who is the better QB: Drew Brees or Jared Goff

tyler735

Brees vs Goff  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB is better?

As the title states who do you think is the better between Drew Brees and Jared Goff? 

To make it more interesting who do you think is the better QB both now and how they will be remembered in the future as there is quite a big gap in experience between the 2 players, so it does put Goff at a bit of a disadvantage with Brees putting up great/elite seasons for about the past 15 years. 

For who will be remembered as the better QB in the future I'm going with Drew Brees as he has won a Super Bowl, has excellent numbers in the postseason, and holds several records including all-time passing yardage leader, all-time touchdown pass leader, all-time completion percentage leader, most 5,000 yard passing seasons in NFL history.

As for better plater currently I'm going with Drew Brees as the better player. He was probably the runner up for MVP in 2018 behind Mahomes, and this past season had crazy efficient numbers despite missing time due to injury. He had a 115 QB rating in 2018, and 116 QB rating in 2019 with only 9 interceptions the past 2 seasons combined. For reference Goff has thrown 28 interceptions in that same timeframe.

Maybe I'm biased on this though, so what are your thoughts between these 2 QB's?

Edited by tyler735

Brees is no doubt the better QB right now if we are going off resume. If I took Brees first 4 years compared to Goff first 4 years then its Goff easily. Remember that Brees was struggling so badly that the Chargers traded to get Phillip Rivers because they thought Brees wasnt going to be any good. Now the year they drafted Rivers, Brees had his breakout year then he got hurt which made it easier for the Chargers to move on from him. All in all if we are just saying right now Brees but the first 4 years of each QB career its Goff easily. 

I think Goff is polarizing just because I think most people formed their opinion about him during his rookie season and it hasnt changed. The fact that he did great after McVay got on board, those who thought Goff suck will only give McVay the credit and then this past season when Goff struggled those same people said "see I told you Goff wasnt any good". Those who thought Goff was good blamed Fisher for his terrible rookie season and then said "see how great Goff can be with a legit coach" once McVay was hired. Those same people who thought Goff was good will point to the real factors in his struggles last season. The real factors was a lack of running game and the oline being depleted. My point is, I dont hear many people being somewhere in the middle with Goff. I certainly stand by my notion of Goff is a top 10 QB. He showed in 2018 that he has top 5 potential because he did outduel Mahomes. He did put on that great masterpiece against the Vikings. He went into New Orleans in the playoffs and led his team from a 0-13 deficit to go to the Superbowl. Thats big time. So I dont think Goff is mediocre but he isnt Mahomes or Watson but the thing is he doesnt need to be. Ill continue to say he is Matt Ryan which can be a good and bad thing because Ryan can be frustrating at times but Ryan is still a better QB than people give him credit for. The issue with the Falcons at least over the past few seasons has been injuries, poor oline play, and a lack of a running game. Sounds alot like what Goff went through this past season.

Edited by stl4life07

There is a few things to factor In. One looking at the first four years of their careers(all the years Goff as played so far) Goffs numbers aren't just better, they're way better. 

Second thing to factor in, is Goff has the luxury of playing for a good coach sooner. Sean Payton is better at this point, but payton and Brees didn't unite till later. Where Goff and Mcvay are both Young together, assuming the rams offensive line gets fixed. They will be able to put up some similar numbers to what they have in years past.

Assuming Goff stays healthy and plays as long as Brees it is definitely possible that Goffs numbers will blow Brees out of the water.

I'm not even a big fan of Drew Brees (think he's overrated historically) but even I have to say this question is mad disrespectful.  There's no time when Jared Goff has ever or will ever be as good as Drew Brees.  

Lets see now that the Rams aren't a team loaded with talent if Goff is even worthy of being a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VanS said:

I'm not even a big fan of Drew Brees (think he's overrated historically) but even I have to say this question is mad disrespectful.  There's no time when Jared Goff has ever or will ever be as good as Drew Brees.  

Lets see now that the Rams aren't a team loaded with talent if Goff is even worthy of being a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

The Rams are still loaded. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Everett, Higbee, Reynolds, and we will see just how good Henderson is made to be by the experts when he was in the draft. So I dont know why you think the Rams arent loaded. Even on defense they still had Donald, Ramsey, Johnson III, Rapp, and now other guys like Kiser and Obi who will get their chance to shine. What we saw in previous years was the Rams had an embarrassment of riches. The Rams arent as loaded as they were but they are still loaded. The thing that last year did to the Rams is give their young unproven guys like Henderson, Edwards, Evans, Hill, and Williams alot of playing time due to injuries. Cant speak for everyone but personally I saw alot of positives from those young players that had to step up.

Edited by stl4life07

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Is this a joke?

Unfortunately not and had to make a thread. Felt like I was taking crazy pills in another thread in regards to some Rams fan views on Goff, but didn't wanna derail that thread getting into a Jared Goff discussion.

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

You and that chargers fan are the two biggest trolls on this site. 

It feels like most of your posts are to discredit Goff and the Rams

Don’t be surprised if this thread gets locked up 

A good way to avoid that would be to not actually call out other members as trolls. 

Leave that **** up to the moderators. Avoid counter-posting, or bold accusations if reporting doesn't work as fast as you'd like. Or even HOW you'd like.

Keep a level head. Realize everyone doesn't agree. 

• Like 3

Brees is one of the 10 greatest QBs the game has seen since the merger. Nothing Goff has done yet would indicate he’s on that kind of trajectory. This thread is silly.

Now comparing their first 4 years as starters, as someone else mentioned, is far more interesting.

• Like 1