Jets sign Greg Van Roten

J_E_T_$

Full out competition for the starting 5. Love it. FWIW I don't think the Jets are going to commit to anyone as starter other than McGovern. Also, Douglas wasn't kidding about versatility: 

• Fant: experience at LT and RT
  • McGovern: experience at RG and C
  • Lewis: experience at LG and LT
  • Andrews: experience at LG and C
  • Van Roten: experience at LG, C, RG, RT
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Connor Hughes seems to think that GVR will be our starting RG.

So the OL pre draft is...

LT: Fant

LG: Lewis

C: McGovern

RG: GVR

RT: Edoga

I still think we go OL round 1. Now it’s interesting with this signing where we’d put him. 

I'd be fine with wr round 1, but I'm looking for the stud OT round 1 to really upgrade our ol. 

Cause right now I see upgrades with Van Roten and McGovern.  Both are solid players.

Listened to Greg Van Roten on Connor Hughes podcast today. Cool to get some insight on how his FA went. He was in contact with the Jets the entire way, but other teams that were interested in him included the Bills, the Dolphins (prior to signing Flowers), the Redskins, the Seahawks, the Bears, and the Bengals. He mentioned that free agency wasn't what he expected because teams were just checking in on him and gauging what he was looking for, rather than actually making an offer. As I stated earlier, I think this is how teams have adjusted in the legal-tampering era because they can kind of get an idea what the deal would look like without executing an official offer. Considering how organic free agency is and that each addition changes a team's budget, teams would rather just stay close and offer once their other plans/intentions clear up (for example, GVR mentioned how Seattle was interested but were kind of waiting around on Clowney). 

Acknowledged that his market was weird because he was a rare, low-milage vet who got a late start to his career but also has plenty of experience. I liked that perspective. 

He alluded that the Jets did not make the strongest offer, but they showed the most interest and that him returning home to play for the team he grew up rooting for was a strong pull as well. Another thing he noted that has somewhat flown under the radar is that he was being brought in to "compete for a starting job" - meaning nothing is given. 

The way I see things shaping out: 

• Fant, Edoga, and 1st rounder battling for 2 tackle spots
  • GVR, Lewis, and Winters battling for 2 guard spots 

Only player at risk of getting cut is Winters. If he wins outright, they'll all remain.

• Like 2