Wrote a few thousand words on “Quinn’s plan”

Nastradamus

Fascinating. Great read.

So, based on that, how do you see Quinn approaching the draft? Does this imply that he may not trade back, as that could lead to him missing out on Okudah? Would he take Okudah over Young? 

What I gather from your analysis, and assuming no trade down: Okudah in R1, WR in R2, RB and OG in R3, depth the rest of the way.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 4:24 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Fascinating. Great read.

So, based on that, how do you see Quinn approaching the draft? Does this imply that he may not trade back, as that could lead to him missing out on Okudah? Would he take Okudah over Young? 

What I gather from your analysis, and assuming no trade down: Okudah in R1, WR in R2, RB and OG in R3, depth the rest of the way.

This is about how I have it. I think he would trade out still if he got a godfather offer, even if it meant missing Okudah, but its less ideal. It gets to a point of value over need though. Then you try to get a Diggs type corner later and run him, Amani and TRufant outside with Coleman inside. 

I have the same 2 positions you do for that area, but a DT with size and a little pass rush ability is on the list if it is to be found anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

This is about how I have it. I think he would trade out still if he got a godfather offer, even if it meant missing Okudah, but its less ideal. It gets to a point of value over need though. Then you try to get a Diggs type corner later and run him, Amani and TRufant outside with Coleman inside. 

I have the same 2 positions you do for that area, but a DT with size and a little pass rush ability is on the list if it is to be found anywhere. 

Makes a lot of sense.

There was a report that the Lions were negotiating with Logan Ryan. If they happen to lock him up, does that change their perspective as it relates to Okudah?

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Makes a lot of sense.

There was a report that the Lions were negotiating with Logan Ryan. If they happen to lock him up, does that change their perspective as it relates to Okudah?

I am not sure what to make of that. I think they would probably be doing that to not be forced into a need, but I only like Ryan in the slot and Coleman is our slot so Ryan would be my least favorite Quinn move in a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I am not sure what to make of that. I think they would probably be doing that to not be forced into a need, but I only like Ryan in the slot and Coleman is our slot so Ryan would be my least favorite Quinn move in a while. 

a) Are you the author of that post or just posted it in here?

b) Ryan was rated higher than Coleman by PFF last year. He did finish off the last 3 weeks better but a really up and down year. 

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

a) Are you the author of that post or just posted it in here?

b) Ryan was rated higher than Coleman by PFF last year. He did finish off the last 3 weeks better but a really up and down year. 

I think Coleman, like most of our secondary, was better than they probably suggest.

Not his fault QBs constantly had 5 seconds to throw.

This was a really good read.. It really paints a picture of where the Lions will likely focus on in the draft.

Me personally, I have really settled into Okudah as our pic, even at 3. I still feel Simmons will ultimately be the pic (for reasons I have laid out in several threads), but I am 100% on board with Okudah...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BarryTheBest said:

This was a really good read.. It really paints a picture of where the Lions will likely focus on in the draft.

Me personally, I have really settled into Okudah as our pic, even at 3. I still feel Simmons will ultimately be the pic (for reasons I have laid out in several threads), but I am 100% on board with Okudah...

Let me throw a scenario at you.

If we sign Logan Ryan and WAS trades down, would you draft Young or Okudah?

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Can we trade Coleman? Not sure about the cap hit but I would much rather Logan Ryan over Coleman.

I mean, I wouldn't build a team/defense back to front. QB/OL/Pass rushers, *Interior pass rushers if possible*, would be the way I build my team. Just a personal preference but it's why I can't get behind a lot of what they're doing. 

It's just a basic fundamental difference between Quinn/Patricia regime and myself as a fan right now on how I like to see teams built. I like teams built like Jim Schwartz had here with a good QB, solid/above average Oline, and a good pass rush. Many different ways to build teams and be successful though. Bill Polian built his Colts/Bills team in much the same way. '91 Redskins, Dallas Cowboys to an extent.... *(They just had a huge collection of talent too.)

Hopefully they pick the right fellas and pull the right strings in game. While i'm a big downer on this regime, and do think they'll be fired. I'm not going to be pissed if they all the sudden are super successful and lead the Lions to playoffs/ playoff wins. I'm hoping they trade down, pick Young. If forced to draft at 3 with no trade down option... I would pick Tristan Wirfs. He's a safe pick, can play LG or RT immediately imo, possible LT future, might be able to move on from Taylor.* Nice comp pick likely. *

I'll be a little upset if I see a CB drafted at 3 or a LB. I like Simmons but I got burnt by Aaron Curry years ago and the sting isn't gone. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BZski said:

Can we trade Coleman? Not sure about the cap hit but I would much rather Logan Ryan over Coleman.

We'd eat $8M in dead cap if we traded him. We don't really need to trade him even if we add in Ryan. He did play better on the back end of the season and both guys can play multiple spots. 

We'd open up $4M with $6M dead if we cut him in 2021 and $6M freed with $4M dead in 2022. 

Trufant, Okudah, Coleman/Ryan, Oruwariye would be a very solid and deep CB group. Arguably the deepest in the NFL. If the team is all about coverage over pass rush, then spending the money in the secondary makes sense. I'd still look at adding Gilmore if he's available from the Pats in a trade unless we do go and add Ryan.