Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Silver

Question: Why do you think Clowney is unsigned?

Recommended Posts

I mean, I don't see why it behooves him to be signed immediately.  He's waiting for teams to make better offers than the ones he's gotten.  Why on earth wouldn't he do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I don't see why it behooves him to be signed immediately.  He's waiting for teams to make better offers than the ones he's gotten.  Why on earth wouldn't he do that?

Because we're all done with patiently waiting to see which team overpays him so we can make fun of that team. Unless it's our team, then we justify the contract and that it's an "easy out after X years." This is the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Because we're all done with patiently waiting to see which team overpays him so we can make fun of that team. Unless it's our team, then we justify the contract and that it's an "easy out after X years." This is the way.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to hurry up and sign (with the Seahawks, preferrably), so the Titans can move on to signing multiple contributing free agents with that money.

But if I'm Clowney, and know I'm like a top ranked pass rusher, and am not getting the deals I want, I probably wait a little while, and let teams get desperate.

If the recent reports are true that it was Jets, Titans, and Seahawks, and the Jets dropped out because their offer was too low, and then the Colts came in later, doesn't that show that waiting is the smart thing for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clowney is a clown and you don't pay big for clowns unless you already have a good circus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Don't get me wrong, I want him to hurry up and sign (with the Seahawks, preferrably), so the Titans can move on to signing multiple contributing free agents with that money.

But if I'm Clowney, and know I'm like a top ranked pass rusher, and am not getting the deals I want, I probably wait a little while, and let teams get desperate.

If the recent reports are true that it was Jets, Titans, and Seahawks, and the Jets dropped out because their offer was too low, and then the Colts came in later, doesn't that show that waiting is the smart thing for him?

That also leaves the opportunity for those teams to spend their money elsewhere if they feel Clowney is being unreasonable. If all the money dries up then what does Clowney do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That also leaves the opportunity for those teams to spend their money elsewhere if they feel Clowney is being unreasonable. If all the money dries up then what does Clowney do?

Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That also leaves the opportunity for those teams to spend their money elsewhere if they feel Clowney is being unreasonable. If all the money dries up then what does Clowney do?

And that's exactly what's happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

That also leaves the opportunity for those teams to spend their money elsewhere if they feel Clowney is being unreasonable. If all the money dries up then what does Clowney do?

The Titans haven't signed anyone significant since this.  Colts neither.  So, that hasn't happened yet.  Nor do I expect that the money would dry up.  Plus, it's not like teams that he's considering would just throw up their hands and say they give up without informing him, repeatedly.

The situation bolded just wouldn't happen.  Teams would make room if literally every other team interested in him now was out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Overrated?  Wants to be overpaid?

 

Someone just posted this in our forum.  It fits nicely here....

Last 3 years:


Jadeveon Clowney
Snaps: 2,574
Pressures: 185
Sacks: 21
Batted Passes: 2
Def Stops: 110
Forced Fumbles: 6
Run Def Grade Avg: 83
Penalties: 36

Carlos Dunlap
Snaps: 2,454
Pressures: 170
Sacks: 26
Batted Passes: 19
Def Stops: 94
Forced Fumbles: 5
Run Def Grade Avg: 82
Penalties: 9

 

From a Joe Goodberry tweet (Bengals contributor on The Athletic, and local beat writer)

 

 

 

Edited by INbengalfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  Everyone's pretty much nailed it.  Pretty clearly appears to be a case of a player basically pricing himself out of their market.  He's always carried a ton of "name hype" and he is a decent player with some issues...but not the superstar he probably wants to be paid as.

 

With Calais gone, and assuming Ngakoue is on his way out sooner, rather than later...i'd take a shot on Clowney in Jacksonville on a reasonable deal.  But it might take a while for it to sink in that a more reasonable deal is probably all he's going to get.  Though at that point, i'm sure more teams would start to come into the picture as suitors...despite some of the lacking discipline.  Probably has to start considering scheme and fit, and where he might be able to set himself up to have a bigger year with better opportunity.  Somewhere with other pass rushing threats around him to take some pressure off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Titans haven't signed anyone significant since this.  Colts neither.  So, that hasn't happened yet.  Nor do I expect that the money would dry up.  Plus, it's not like teams that he's considering would just throw up their hands and say they give up without informing him, repeatedly.

The situation bolded just wouldn't happen.  Teams would make room if literally every other team interested in him now was out.

No, they haven't because they're waiting on Clowney. But if Clowney tries to play hardball then the Titans could say enough is enough and instead focus on re-signing Logan Ryan. The Colts could then look to sign Golden. The Jets could move on to re-signing Anderson.

I'm not saying Clowney is going to end up getting the minimum or something, but free agents overplay their hand all the time and settle for deals way lower than they expect because they tried to outlast the teams. If he overplays, then suddenly Golden, Griffen, Suh, or a trade for Yannick start to look really good or the teams decide to prioritize other position groups.

Maybe it works and he actually creates a bidding war, but it could also backfire and he end up signing for less much less than his perceived value.

Edited by seminoles1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ET80 said:

The week before, he had the 4th and 2 offsides penalty vs the Colts that ended the nine game winning streak.

Clowney is the Chris Henry/Kevan Barlow of defensive players; He looks like he should be a freak of nature, someone who destroys everything he touches. But, he just isn't - much like the RBs listen above, he lacks the proper vision and football IQ to put his physical gifts together consistently. Much like those two listed above, there are times where he'll blow up a play, kind of like randomly finding a soft spot on a defense and going for a big run. It's not consistent, though - and in the NFL, you pay for consistency. Clowney will book a deal he won't get to finish, he'll eventually get cut - he'll always find himself employed, simply because he's too physically gifted and there's always a coach who will think "I'll get those tools to work consistently..."

He's like a 7 footer in the NBA, he doesn't need to be good to get paid.

It sounds like all of this guy's talent is below the shoulders...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I didn’t want him because I worry about him getting his big contract and just phoning it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×