Question: Why do you think Clowney is unsigned?

Silver

Clowney is going to be a good signing for someone. I have no problem with any player holding out for as much money as they possibly can, so it will eventually get to a point where his agent gets a couple of teams within the ballpark and he'll pick what's best for him. 

Forget anyone being 'greedy' these players don't owe anyone anything. The team that wants him the most will pay him the most, simple as that. 

• Like 3

Some people here are being too harsh on Clowney.  Is he an elite pass rusher?  No.  One of the reasons he's not signed is probably because he's asking for too much money.  If it's true he wants to be paid like Donald or Mack, that's too bad because he's nowhere near that caliber of player.  However, he is a damn good player.  Last season with Seattle, he played a lot of the season with an injury that required surgery.  He could have easily shut it down and have every right to do so, but he continued to play and help Seattle secure a postseason birth - and ultimately also win a postseason game.  He's a better run defender than he's given credit for.

I think another reason he may be unsigned is because of his motor.  I said above that he played a lot of the season with a significant injury - the question is would he have done that if he had a 4 year deal where he was getting paid $15-$20 million per season?  I don't know.  Clowney's motor has been questioned since back when he was in college. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure who does not give him credit as a run defender but he is good at that.

You don't get 18 million a year for being a good run defender, a weird pressure player with low sacks, and very undisciplined.

I watched him for 3 years in Houston and he can be very disruptive at times (to both teams)

4 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Forget anyone being 'greedy' these players don't owe anyone anything. The team that wants him the most will pay him the most, simple as that. 

I can agree with this, but there was a time the expectation was a Khalil Mack level deal. This dude ain't no Khalil Mack.

• Like 1

He's a disruptive player, I want him in my front(pause) but clearly there's something holding most teams back from bringing him in. I think he's at least a 14M a year guy. If he wants 18M it will definitely come in the form of non-guarantees because of his injury history and lack of sack production.

14M with 4M in incentives

1M for playing 16 games

1M for playing a certain percentage of snaps

1M for 12.5 or more sacks

1M for making the playoffs(he'd be a huge part of that)

You can get creative with the cap making it a 2 year deal with no guarantees past year 1 if he plays well he either gets the option picked up or he gets cut and hits the market again for another deal. He can make 40-50M over the next few seasons if he works FA right.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can agree with this, but there was a time the expectation was a Khalil Mack level deal. This dude ain't no Khalil Mack.

And there within lies the problem with Clowney. He wants to be paid like an elite player when he's not elite.

I will say though, it'd be crazy to me if Robert Quinn and Dante Fowler end up with larger contracts than Clowney.

• Like 1

Clowney is a good player who seemingly still thinks he’s elite because he was a god tier prospect.

He’s good against the run, sets the edge well, etc.  He should be well paid.  That said, 20 a year?  Lol, no.  I think the Dunlap comp is pretty good, although I think Dunlop is a better overall player.  He signed 3/45.  He’s also a class act off the field as far everything I’ve heard.

• Like 2

I think Terrell Suggs in his prime was a good comparison. Suggs got sacks, set the edge, played the run very well and got a DPOY.

He was a leader, not a penalty machine either and he got paid like the best. Clowney I think believes he is on that level. From what Texan fans are telling me, he is not.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

PFF has him rated pretty high. Isn't he one of those players that's better than what the statsheet says?

I'd say that he had a much bigger impact than his numbers reflected last years with the Hawks. Very good/great against the run, disruptive and opening things up for other players in Pass D.
He's still not worth the 20M he's probably asking for. I would gladly give him 15/year though.