Question: Why do you think Clowney is unsigned?

Silver

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Thats not what I am saying. Here is an example:

Everyone in the world goes to see Dr. Andrews for knee surgery. 

Dr. Andrews is the Redskins team doctor. 

So if Clowney wanted to go get a physical, on his own privately, from Dr. Andrews - - he could

Clearly it's more complicated than that, otherwise something like the current Brockers situation wouldn't be happening. 

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

Clearly it's more complicated than that, otherwise something like the current Brockers situation wouldn't be happening. 

If it was me, and millions were on the line, I would find ~4 team doctors and go visit them privately for the full NFL level physical. 

If 4 different NFL doctors all said I was cleared to play, I would have my agent send those medical files to every team in the NFL.

Someone like Clowney who probably has homes in HOU and SEA, that should be fairly easy. Just make a road trip. 

47 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

If it was me, and millions were on the line, I would find ~4 team doctors and go visit them privately for the full NFL level physical. 

If 4 different NFL doctors all said I was cleared to play, I would have my agent send those medical files to every team in the NFL.

Someone like Clowney who probably has homes in HOU and SEA, that should be fairly easy. Just make a road trip. 

Again, doctors are being discouraged and discouraging patients of coming to the office for anything not essential at the moment. Medical professionals are needed for more important stuff right now.

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Again, doctors are being discouraged and discouraging patients of coming to the office for anything not essential at the moment. Medical professionals are needed for more important stuff right now.

Although I am sure thats true, it probably applies to GA's, family docs, etc.

I doubt it apples to doctors that specialize in knee surgery

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

It applies to all doctors performing NFL related physicals.

• Like 1

All non-essential surgeries have been rescheduled as far as I'm aware. They don't want the people gathering in waiting rooms regardless of whether that particular doctor is needed to help treat people.

through the nfl.....

1. it doesn't say that. 

2. Do you really think a doctor, who answers to this advisory board, is just gonna go "lol, they said we should stop doing this, but I'm still going to do it as part of my private practice and still give out letters to the player to distribute to NFL teams stating said player's knee is healthy enough to play in the NFL"? Do you really think a doctor is going to do that?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

1. it doesn't say that. 

2. Do you really think a doctor, who answers to this advisory board, is just gonna go "lol, they said we should stop doing this, but I'm still going to do it as part of my private practice and still give out letters to the player to distribute to NFL teams stating said player's knee is healthy enough to play in the NFL"? Do you really think a doctor is going to do that?

The point is that there are ways to get physicals in the private health space. Do you disagree?

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The point is that there are ways to get physicals in the private health space. Do you disagree?

Is there a way to get a physical? Sure. But the physical an NFL player takes before signing a $80M contract and the insurance risk behind it is a little different from the one your son takes before he can play pop warner football. 

Is there a way to get a physical by a doctor that NFL teams trust enough to risk $80M on? Nope. Is there a way to get a physical by a doctor that is insured under the NFL’s umbrella? Nope. Is there a way to perform a physical that isn’t a violation of the CBA? Nope. 

Edited by pwny

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Is there a way to get a physical by a doctor that NFL teams trust enough to risk $80M on? Nope. Is there a way to get a physical by a doctor that is insured under the NFL’s umbrella? Nope. Is there a way to perform a physical that isn’t a violation of the CBA? Nope. 

agree to disagree.

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

agree to disagree.

There’s nothing to disagree about. Even if David Andrews stupidly risked his membership to the NFLPS to perform NFL level physicals for NFL after being told not to by the NFLPS, his private practice is not insured by the NFL to perform NFL physicals and it would be a violation of the CBA for the NFL to use a letter from a practice not insured by the NFL to sign off on his medicals.

If Clowney’s knee exploded, David Andrews private practice could be held liable by both Clowney and the NFL, and he wouldn’t have the NFL’s insurance policy to pay out damages for him. He’d have to rely on his own insurance policy, which likely doesn’t allow him to privately perform professional athlete physicals because that insurance costs a lot of money and he’s literally never had to use it because he performs physicals out of the team offices that have that insurance. The NFL would also be held liable for accepting the physical from a private practice that is not insured by the NFL.

There’s literally no reason anyone would do this.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

There’s nothing to disagree about. Even if David Andrews stupidly risked his membership to the NFLPS to perform NFL level physicals for NFL after being told not to by the NFLPS, his private practice is not insured by the NFL to perform NFL physicals and it would be a violation of the CBA for the NFL to use a letter from a practice not insured by the NFL to sign off on his medicals.

If Clowney’s knee exploded, David Andrews private practice could be held liable by both Clowney and the NFL, and he wouldn’t have the NFL’s insurance policy to pay out damages for him. He’d have to rely on his own insurance policy, which likely doesn’t allow him to privately perform professional athlete physicals because that insurance costs a lot of money and he’s literally never had to use it because he performs physicals out of the team offices that have that insurance. The NFL would also be held liable for accepting the physical from a private practice that is not insured by the NFL.

There’s literally no reason anyone would do this.

This is absurd and wrong. Performing a NFL level physical has nothing to do with the NFL, its insurance or any other facet of the league. He could just provide an extremely thorough physical as a private physician and provide a very comprehensive letter of findings - as a private physician. 

Plenty of NFL players get outside opinions. This would be no different except it would be from a doctor who has worked with a NFL team. 

Edited by Matts4313

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is absurd and wrong. Performing a NFL level physical has nothing to do with the NFL, its insurance or any other facet of the league. He could just provide an extremely thorough physical as a private physician and provide a very comprehensive letter of findings - as a private physician. 

Plenty of NFL players get outside opinions. This would be no different except it would be from a doctor who has worked with a NFL team. 

Getting an outside opinion is not even in the same discussion as using outside opinions as the only means to validate contracts that are backed behind multi-billion dollar insurance policies.

It might be a good idea to brush up on your knowledge of medical insurance policies, the CBA and how everything in the NFL is insured before claiming it’s absurd and wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Getting an outside opinion is not even in the same discussion as using outside opinions as the only means to validate contracts that are backed behind multi-billion dollar insurance policies.

It might be a good idea to brush up on your knowledge of medical insurance policies, the CBA and how everything in the NFL is insured before claiming it’s absurd and wrong. 

Pwny - you are literally being wrong here. Saying a knee is in good health in March has no bearing on if a player blows it out when a 325 pound OL hits it awkward. None. Thats like saying just because a heart surgeon gives you a triple bypass, you could sue them if they ever have another heart attack. Its silly.

Secondly, using the outside opinion to sign a contract would almost assuredly be contingent on passing a team physical when they are available. I never said anything differently. I am stating - he could get opinions, now. Sign the contract, now. And like all contracts, it will be based on passing a team physical later. For example, we signed Poe yesterday. We had to do so with no physical whatsoever. I am sure there is language to protect us if there is something what wasnt disclosed.