Question: Why do you think Clowney is unsigned?

Silver

17 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Maybe someone else has mentioned it, but how much do people think the delay is because he can't do a physical for new teams at the moment?

I mean, that's where my money is.  Although I'm not sure why they wouldn't sign a conditional contract contingent on a passed physical.

18 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Maybe someone else has mentioned it, but how much do people think the delay is because he can't do a physical for new teams at the moment?

This.

So there MIGHT be a knee issue. And Im certain dudes core injury never healed. He was hurting earlier in the year, and that 1st San Fran game probably did uber damage. Dude played like it was his last game. He was essentially out / limited until the playoffs after that game. 

4 hours ago, animaltested said:

So there MIGHT be a knee issue. And Im certain dudes core injury never healed. He was hurting earlier in the year, and that 1st San Fran game probably did uber damage. Dude played like it was his last game. He was essentially out / limited until the playoffs after that game. 

"Timothy Hewett, director of research for Ohio State University Sports Medicine and director of the school's Sports Health & Performance Institute, stressed that he knew no specifics of Clowney's case and that microfracture surgery "may very well be" appropriate. "It appears to do well mainly in small lesions (holes) and over the shorter term. I could not say how large his lesion is," said Hewett, who also acknowledged there are doubts about the procedure.

"Microfracture is sort of losing favor these days in large part.… It's more of a short-term remedy," said Hewett.
"But if you look at the longer-term outcomes after microfracture, they're not very good."

Note: that's an old quote from before the microfracture surgery in 2014

On 3/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, showtime said:

Some people here are being too harsh on Clowney.  Is he an elite pass rusher?  No.  One of the reasons he's not signed is probably because he's asking for too much money.  If it's true he wants to be paid like Donald or Mack, that's too bad because he's nowhere near that caliber of player.  However, he is a damn good player.  Last season with Seattle, he played a lot of the season with an injury that required surgery.  He could have easily shut it down and have every right to do so, but he continued to play and help Seattle secure a postseason birth - and ultimately also win a postseason game.  He's a better run defender than he's given credit for.

I think another reason he may be unsigned is because of his motor.  I said above that he played a lot of the season with a significant injury - the question is would he have done that if he had a 4 year deal where he was getting paid $15-$20 million per season?  I don't know.  Clowney's motor has been questioned since back when he was in college. 

Most of this. 

Clowney's ability is getting largely downplayed in this thread. I agree with the rationale that teams simply don't pay for pass rushers whose sack totals don't jump off the page, but Clowney is incredibly disruptive outside the statsheet. 

Per Seth Walder (ESPN Analytics Writer), Clowney was amongst the tops in the league in ratio of QB pressures to pass rushing snaps where he was double teamed. If you're not getting the actual sack, this can considered an intangible effect, but it speaks volumes on the field when he can continue to make the QB uncomfortable despite the attention he's receiving and effectively open things up for the rest of our mediocre pass rushing unit (guys like Quinton Jefferson and Rasheem Green had career years much ado to this). 

QB Pressures are still highly valuable. Sacks are gold, but pressures are a nice silver medal that still cause disruption of the offensive play flow. He's also not a great run defender, he's an elite run defender with how he eats up double teams, eliminates the edge, and chases ball carriers down. 

I would love to have him back on the Seahawks. For $20m? Hell no, but I think anywhere between $15-17.5m is going to be reasonable for a 27-year-old disruptor. 

To answer the question of the thread, I believe the reason he isn't signed is because he doesn't put up the stats that justify his financial demands + the inability for teams to get a player asking for as much money as he is in for a physical considering his injury history. 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, skywlker32 said:

On 3/24/2020 at 5:59 PM, Daniel said:

I mean, that's where my money is.  Although I'm not sure why they wouldn't sign a conditional contract contingent on a passed physical.

Very doubtful.

Team doctors almost always have private practices as well. So just because teams can't do physicals, that doesn't mean that clowney can't go get one on his own.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Very doubtful.

Team doctors almost always have private practices as well. So just because teams can't do physicals, that doesn't mean that clowney can't go get one on his own.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/nfl-doctors-stop-physicals-until-coronavirus-crisis-has-passed/

Last thing on their mind is bypassing and jumping through hoops to do physicals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/nfl-doctors-stop-physicals-until-coronavirus-crisis-has-passed/

Last thing on their mind is bypassing and jumping through hoops to do physicals.

Lol

So, you and every other American are continuing to go see their doctors normally... But it would be "jumping through hoops" for an NFL player to schedule a doctor's appointment? 

Stong disagree. Hell, my son just had a physical not to long ago. Here's how hard it was. We called the doctor and scheduled an appointment. Took 15 minutes.

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Lol

So, you and every other American are continuing to go see their doctors normally... But it would be "jumping through hoops" for an NFL player to schedule a doctor's appointment? 

Stong disagree. Hell, my son just had a physical not to long ago. Here's how hard it was. We called the doctor and scheduled an appointment. Took 15 minutes.

To go see the team doctors, there would be travel involved for almost all of them. Slightly more difficult than just driving to the doctor. I also don't know if it's the case everywhere, but right now is not the best time to be going to a doctor for anything not necessary.

[edit]

https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/what-to-do-about-routine-doctor-visits-during-coronavirus

There's also this article where it says that all non-essential appointments be postponed (aka things may have changed since your kid's physical, that seems to be happening a lot recently in short time).

Edited by skywlker32

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Very doubtful.

Clowney might be able to get his own physical but the entire issue is that teams may not be willing to finalize anything until their own doctors get a look. Probably not an issue for the vast majority of FA's where you already reasonably trust in a player's health, but Clowney's had enough medical red flags in his career, and the level of investment is so high, that his is a case where teams are probably more likely to be particular about insisting on their own doctors getting a look. 

Similar thing is happening with the Ravens and Michael Brockers right now. His physical from an independent doctor turned up some things related to his ankle injury last year that the organization wants to take a closer look at, but team doctors aren't allowed to travel to examine him and he's not allowed to travel to the Ravens facility either, so the deal hasn't been finalized/announced yet. Seems like both sides still expect the deal to get done but it might take until our doctors are allowed to look at him for themselves, and there's no indication as to when that might happen. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Clowney might be able to get his own physical but the entire issue is that teams may not be willing to finalize anything until their own doctors get a look. Probably not an issue for the vast majority of FA's where you already reasonably trust in a player's health, but Clowney's had enough medical red flags in his career, and the level of investment is so high, that his is a case where teams are probably more likely to be particular about insisting on their own doctors getting a look. 

Similar thing is happening with the Ravens and Michael Brockers right now. His physical from an independent doctor turned up some things related to his ankle injury last year that the organization wants to take a closer look at, but team doctors aren't allowed to travel to examine him and he's not allowed to travel to the Ravens facility either, so the deal hasn't been finalized/announced yet. Seems like both sides still expect the deal to get done but it might take until our doctors are allowed to look at him for themselves, and there's no indication as to when that might happen. 

Thats not what I am saying. Here is an example:

Everyone in the world goes to see Dr. Andrews for knee surgery. 

Dr. Andrews is the Redskins team doctor. 

So if Clowney wanted to go get a physical, on his own privately, from Dr. Andrews - - he could