Who is the single best player in the 2020 draft?

VanS

Best Player in the 2020 Draft  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best player in the draft?

• Joe Burrow
    • Chase Young
    • Derrick Brown
    • Isaiah Simmons
    • Jeff Okudah
    • Tua Tagovailoa
    • Javon Kinlaw
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/2020 at 04:59 AM

34 minutes ago, VanS said:

Not exactly.  Nowdays a lot of athletes are training year round in high school in their particular sport.  You're talking about the old days when kids played multiple sports and weren't just focusing on one sport.  One of the reasons there are so many 5-star busts when it comes to high school rankings is guys already tapping out on their athletic potential by the time they reach high school.

I'm not saying its impossible Chase Young hasn't improved athletically.  Just saying its not as common as you make it out.  If he wasn't a 5-star recruit coming out but instead a 3-star I might be more inclined to think he had improved.  

Chase Young played basketball as well

Simmons.  Game changing non-rush LB's are the rarest profile in the NFL right now.  There are a higher percentage of franchise QB's, edge rushers, cornerbacks, franchise LT's.  There's Bobby Wagner, and..... anybody else?  Simmons will never leave the field, he'll be valuable against the pass, the run, he can rush the passer when needed, there is nothing on the defensive side of the ball he can't do.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

@VanS lives for these arguments. He takes great pride in being alone on an island. 

Arguing with him will lead you in circles. Just let him have this. It’s how he fights boredom. 

Was coming here to say just this.

The guy started the thread raving about Derrick Brown - who had a 1 percentile 3-cone drill which if/likely when he goes 1st round will make him just the 2nd DL with a 8+ second 3-cone to go 1st round - yet dismisses Chase Young because of his high school athleticism numbers.

This is the same guy who had Josh Dobbs as QB1. Come on guys.. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, BleedTheClock said:

@VanS lives for these arguments. He takes great pride in being alone on an island. 

Not really.  I'm not someone who simply enjoys being a contrarian for the sake of being different.  I enjoy being right.  So I'll always go with what I believe is right regardless of how many people think otherwise.  What makes me different is I don't succumb to social pressure when it comes to following the crowd.  I'm comfortable being on that island by myself waiting for everyone else to eventually join me when I'm proven right.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:19 PM, Counselor said:

Chase Young played basketball as well

I know that he played with Markelle Fultz in high school.  That statement I made was dealing with the general question of why some kids are already tapped out potential wise today by the time they hit college.  My concerns about Chase Young's athleticism starts with his tape.  I simply don't see a twitched up edge rusher like I did when I watched Myles Garrett in college.  On tape Chase Young looks like a mediocre athlete.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Was coming here to say just this.

The guy started the thread raving about Derrick Brown - who had a 1 percentile 3-cone drill which if/likely when he goes 1st round will make him just the 2nd DL with a 8+ second 3-cone to go 1st round - yet dismisses Chase Young because of his high school athleticism numbers.

This is the same guy who had Josh Dobbs as QB1. Come on guys.. 

First of all, the only reason I brought up Chase Young's high school testing numbers was in response to posters who said he was the most athletic player in the draft.  I simply used it as a counter to a statement with no evidence to validate it.

In general, I always formulate my opinions on players based on their film first and foremost.  So when it comes to Derrick Brown vs Chase Young, the reason I love the former as a prospect while not being high on the latter is based 100% on their tape.  I watched both players extensively the past season.  When I saw Derrick Brown play I was impressed.  When I saw Chase Young play I wasn't.  Brown had traits I think will translate to being dominant at the next level while I didn't see traits in Young that would make him a dominant NFL player.

The combine is only a confirmation tool to me.  I use it just to confirm what I saw on tape.  If the player doesn't test as well as I believe he looks on tape then I only change my opinion if I wasn't that confident in him to begin with.  However, if I am confident in the player's tape then regardless of how he tests, I stick with my initial opinion.   For example, I was high on LB Daniel Bituli (Tennessee) before the combine.  On tape he looked extremely athletic to me and I thought he would test well.  He ended up testing poor at the combine.  Because I liked his tape so much my opinion on him as a prospect hasn't changed.  I still believe he will be a good starting LB in the the NFL.