Sign in to follow this  
goldfishwars

Chargers Pick at 6

Hi guys

We're voting for LAC's pick a 6 in the draft section. It would be great to have your thoughts and votes. 

Wills, Becton (Thomas would have been good also) Simmons. 

please no Herbert

• Like 1

Glad to see the greater consensus here on Wills over Becton.  Were Pat Meyer still the OL Coach here, I could see where the team may have had the leaning preference for Becton given how Meyer and the tree that he came from wanted to athletic hosses, but Meyer's gone and, if I'm being honest, while I don't think he's a repeat of that situation, I get enough of a Greg Robinson (seen as "more athletic than someone his size has a right to be," billed as a phenomenal run-blocker who needs to clean-up his pass-blocking and particular handwork, late/last-4-months riser who wasn't being talked about higher than the Top 20 at best in this class pre college season) vibe off Becton that I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the Chargers drafting him.

I have it 1a) Wirfs 1b) Wills 3) Becton 4)Thomas 5) Jackson.  I’d be happy with Wirfs or Wills but I think 6 is too high for the other guys. I do think Becton has an exciting upside but his 2018 tape wasn’t that great and at times he looked disinterested. Not sure what that was about but it scares me when someone has inconsistent play and then going into their “draft year season” they turn it up a notch. Don’t wanna get Jared Gaithered again.  For us I’d go Burrow-Young-Tua-Wirfs-Wills-Okudah-Simmons-Lamb I think I’m that order.  I’m out on Herbert, Love, Becton, Thomas or Brown at 6

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

Glad to see the greater consensus here on Wills over Becton.  Were Pat Meyer still the OL Coach here, I could see where the team may have had the leaning preference for Becton given how Meyer and the tree that he came from wanted to athletic hosses, but Meyer's gone and, if I'm being honest, while I don't think he's a repeat of that situation, I get enough of a Greg Robinson (seen as "more athletic than someone his size has a right to be," billed as a phenomenal run-blocker who needs to clean-up his pass-blocking and particular handwork, late/last-4-months riser who wasn't being talked about higher than the Top 20 at best in this class pre college season) vibe off Becton that I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the Chargers drafting him.

That was a Joe D thing more than anything.  He wanted just beef and length, as you could see with Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown who are excelling in his scheme (and King Dunlap/Gaither who were crazy good in it as well).  Meyer wanted agility plus length.  He took a lot of principles from Harvy Mudd who wanted guys to set REALLY aggressively in pass pro which meant jumping out wide and getting hands on the edge rusher before he got upfield. Okung did an amazing job with those sets, which is why Meyer valued him so highly.

From what it seems like, Campen wants bigtime agility above all else.  Andrew Thomas is the perfect fit for him (and Wirfs isn't that far behind).  But with Ezra Cleveland, Saadhiq Charles and Ben Bartch both being almost elite in that category, I don't think there's a reason to think we go OT at 6, especially given his track record developing guys in the 4th round.  

• Like 2