2020 NFL Draft

BZski

36 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If the Jags offered you 9 and then a choice of either 20 or Yannick Ngakoue which one would you take? 

Imo the obvious choice is the #9 and #20.  Yannick Ngakoue wants to player for a winner and the Lions are not winners, if he was traded to Detroit he’d want out just like in Jacksonville so why would Detroit bother with the headache?

21 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I'm kind of thinking trading down is going to be another pipe dream.  Then I read this and feel even stronger about the trade down not happening.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884704-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-2020-draft-rumors-for-every-nfl-team

I have trouble taking a guy who still has the Colts picking 13 seriously 

edit- reread it looks like he just decided to keep everyone in there original slots for some reason 

Edited by BigC421/

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I like Yannick but that’s a no brainer you take 20 and the 5 yr rookie contract. Choosing Yannick would be a selfish panic move for a front office likely on its last year that’s not in a position to win a Super Bowl 

Well said.

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Are things honestly any different than any other years in that sense?  I mean, teams pick up the phones and call all the time during the draft gauging trade values.  I don't think that's going to be the issue.  Just my opinion, but I feel like Jeffery Okudah is going to be the highest ranked player on the Lions' board this side of Joe Burrow and/or Chase Young.  If the Lions want Okudah that badly, are they willing to risk missing out on him?  What happens if the Lions trade down with say the Chargers if the Giants or Dolphins take Okudah instead?  

They are different from a communication standpoint. Each decision maker will be isolated. It’s not like past years where they are together.

What that means IMHO transactions will be more cumbersome and take longer. Perhaps teams will make moves earlier but I suspect that there will be less trades than normal. In any event it will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

They are different from a communication standpoint. Each decision maker will be isolated. It’s not like past years where they are together.

What that means IMHO transactions will be more cumbersome and take longer. Perhaps teams will make moves earlier but I suspect that there will be less trades than normal. In any event it will be interesting.

I would disagree.  I think conversations are going to be much more straight-forward than previous years, especially if there's only one person in the room making these decisions.  You don't have your AGM or HC in your ear telling you what they think you should do.  Just kinda depends on how it's set up I guess.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I would disagree.  I think conversations are going to be much more straight-forward than previous years, especially if there's only one person in the room making these decisions.  You don't have your AGM or HC in your ear telling you what they think you should do.  Just kinda depends on how it's set up I guess.

It’s all in the setup. If a GM sets up a conference bridge with all his support people dialled in and all calls come through the GM it’s workable but will be slower. How a teams decisions are determined also plays into it. Some teams are likely more collaborative than others.

Im just glad they determined a way to hold the draft. It’s a valued distraction in a world void of sports.

55 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Interesting information on Tua.  IF this is true, and he fell to the 2nd and has major injury concerns for being "brittle" would you risk the pick?
https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/04/ex-nfl-executive-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-is-brittle-flunked-team-physical.html

This is Mike Lombardi, he’s not to be taken seriously and it seems he’s on the take spreading the information for the interest of others.  I’m not saying there isn’t serious injury concerns his information is irrelevant.  Only 1 team performed a physical and all other teams are going off that same information.  

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Interesting information on Tua.  IF this is true, and he fell to the 2nd and has major injury concerns for being "brittle" would you risk the pick?
https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/04/ex-nfl-executive-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-is-brittle-flunked-team-physical.html

Even if this is the case, it would just mean that Herbert would be the next logical guy up and the QB class is just that much more shallow. As long as Herbert doesn't look like a lame Duck (pun intended) there would still be a market for him. I think this would mean a lot more for the Redskins than it does for us. If Tua is the coveted guy and is healthy, they could walk away with a huge, franchise changing deal by bypassing Tua (or they cold take him at #2 if they think he's the real deal). If they don't, they just take Young and they're good. 

• Like 1

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/04/lions-draft-trade-saints-alvin-kamara/?fbclid=IwAR0dkgXgnL1fonFny4EI4Bfkf69Qx01jSEbznfITRlRF7TESehmyPr0S5oQ

article says we trade with the saints. saints trade there 1st (24th overall) 2nd this yr 1st next yr & Kamara, for 3rd. saints draft Tua. article says we sign Kamara to an extension... thoughts?? i wouldn't be opposed to this but at 24 we give up the "Elite prospects" and are in the 2nd tier of prospects if we do it. its good getting the saints 1 for next yr. just have to think of Kamara's extension will costs. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think that with technology, there wont be much difference in the decision timing than if they were in the same room.  Zoom meetings are easy, and will be used.  I think the bigger issue is the lack of face to face contact with the players. Not being able to truly fall in love with a player based on time spent with them, hence less interest in moving up for certain guys. 

53 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/04/lions-draft-trade-saints-alvin-kamara/?fbclid=IwAR0dkgXgnL1fonFny4EI4Bfkf69Qx01jSEbznfITRlRF7TESehmyPr0S5oQ

article says we trade with the saints. saints trade there 1st (24th overall) 2nd this yr 1st next yr & Kamara, for 3rd. saints draft Tua. article says we sign Kamara to an extension... thoughts?? i wouldn't be opposed to this but at 24 we give up the "Elite prospects" and are in the 2nd tier of prospects if we do it. its good getting the saints 1 for next yr. just have to think of Kamara's extension will costs. 

I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to this.  We would get three good players this year and another next.  But as you said, it drops us way out of elite prospect range and more into the iffy, Decker/Ragnow/hope you make the right choice range. 

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

This is Mike Lombardi, he’s not to be taken seriously and it seems he’s on the take spreading the information for the interest of others.  I’m not saying there isn’t serious injury concerns his information is irrelevant.  Only 1 team performed a physical and all other teams are going off that same information.  

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Even if this is the case, it would just mean that Herbert would be the next logical guy up and the QB class is just that much more shallow. As long as Herbert doesn't look like a lame Duck (pun intended) there would still be a market for him. I think this would mean a lot more for the Redskins than it does for us. If Tua is the coveted guy and is healthy, they could walk away with a huge, franchise changing deal by bypassing Tua (or they cold take him at #2 if they think he's the real deal). If they don't, they just take Young and they're good. 

My question was, IF this is true, would you want to take a risk at Tua if he fell to the 2nd? I understand he probably won't, but if the concerns were great enough and you have a very talented, but fragile qb in the 2nd, would you take him if you were the Lions in 2020?