2020 NFL Draft

BZski

11 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

At 36 years old retirement is looming. They drafted a QB that will benefit from sitting and learning.

Rodgers may not have spoken of retirement but bodies eventually break down. Injuries happen and the older you get the harder recovery can be. In Rodgers case the odds of retirement increase by a large percentage every year. 

In Love they drafted a QB that needs development time and has a great deal of talent. Love knows it as well so he should be fine sitting for two years or so before he gets antsy. 

I certainly understand your point though. If Rogers were younger (32) I would agree. I think the Packers feel they need to have a succession plan in place. 

You could be right. It just doesn't feel like the right move with a very capable HOF QB in a division that is still very wide open if you're not already the top 1-2 team. It is more of a "win-now" edict but probably the better approach when you only have a couple years left with Rodgers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right. It just doesn't feel like the right move with a very capable HOF QB in a division that is still very wide open if you're not already the top 1-2 team. It is more of a "win-now" edict but probably the better approach when you only have a couple years left with Rodgers. 

I agree.  If they stay put and he falls to them like Rodgers did, maybe.  But they gave up other assets to move up for Love. And I just dont think Love is the type of prospect you risk ruining the relationship for.  My guess is Love flames out, the Packers can't hit on 3 straight, just playing the odds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have a hard time understanding why trading up for Love in the 1st and drafting Deguara in the 3rd is a better strategy for that team than Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman in the late 1st and, say, Eason in the 3rd, while keeping that 4th round pick.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

PFF gave us an A.

- Love Okudah

- Love Okwara

- Love Jackson and Stenberg

- Love Penisini as a run-stuffer (90.6 run stuffing grade in 2019; 83.2 in 2018)

They were wondering about Swift but basically said that we need to get him involved in the passing game, which I think the Lions will plan to do. 

Other NFC North grades

- Bears: B+

- Vikings: A

- Packers: D

I personally am a bigger fan of AJ Dillon than PFF is but have to enjoy seeing the Cheeseheads draft a back-up QB. 

Dillon is good, but doesn't impact the pass game and backs up one of their best players

13 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I have a hard time understanding why trading up for Love in the 1st and drafting Deguara in the 3rd is a better strategy for that team than Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman in the late 1st and, say, Eason in the 3rd, while keeping that 4th round pick.

Or even just sitting at 30 and taking Love there.  Or if they wanted a RB, take your choice at 30 and then Love might make it to them in the 2nd.  Or could trade up then for him.  Their whole draft was odd.  It just didn't seem to fit with their current roster much.  But who knows, maybe they will prove us all wrong. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Dillon is good, but doesn't impact the pass game and backs up one of their best players

Agreed... that's not who he is or what he does. Or at least he hasn't shown it. 

He's much closer to Derrick Henry in many ways. Whether he's a clone or a cheap knock off is yet to be seen. It's just an interesting move given that most people in the internet scouting community (including the Daniel Jeremiah's and the like) weren't as high on him, at least in terms of draft position. Just seems like a questionable reach for a back up RB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed... that's not who he is or what he does. Or at least he hasn't shown it. 

He's much closer to Derrick Henry in many ways. Whether he's a clone or a cheap knock off is yet to be seen. It's just an interesting move given that most people in the internet scouting community (including the Daniel Jeremiah's and the like) weren't as high on him, at least in terms of draft position. Just seems like a questionable reach for a back up RB. 

For what it's worth: PFF had him outside of their top 250.

9 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup. For all his size and explosion, he didn't break tackles in college, which is very strange. Almost all of Henry's value was breaking tackles

We're talking the former Heisman vs a First Team ALL ACC draft prospect

Dillon: 318 Carries, 1685 yards, 5.3 ypc, 14 TD's; 13 rec, 195 yards, 1 TD > Speed Score 120.38 (4.53 at 6'0, 247) ; Explosion Score 200.10

Henry: 395 Carries, 2219 yards, 5.6 ypc, 28 TD's; 11 rec, 91 yards, 0 TD > Speed Score 123.65 (4.54 at 6'3, 247); Explosion Score 200.97

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think they simply like Love. Who knows why teams choose certain players over others. What I find curious about their entire draft is the lack of effort in finding weapons for Rodgers.

I understand their QB philosophy but why wouldn’t they maximize his last few seasons?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I find it odd that they added Love instead of adding top weapons for a Rodgers. Why wouldn’t they want to maximize his last few years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think they simply like Love. Who knows why teams choose certain players over others. What I find curious about their entire draft is the lack of effort in finding weapons for Rodgers.

I understand their QB philosophy but why wouldn’t they maximize his last few seasons?

There is always off field stuff that can boil up to the surface and makes more sense on why certain moves are made. There was all of that talk about Rodgers/Lafleur maybe not getting along but then they seemed to have figured it out. Maybe Rodgers wore away at some of his patience and ML decided to bring in his own guy to develop following a "Smith/Mahomes" model. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

There is always off field stuff that can boil up to the surface and makes more sense on why certain moves are made. There was all of that talk about Rodgers/Lafleur maybe not getting along but then they seemed to have figured it out. Maybe Rodgers wore away at some of his patience and ML decided to bring in his own guy to develop following a "Smith/Mahomes" model. 

You’re right. There’s always stuff going on that fans don’t know about. For all we know Rodgers has indicated privately that he would like to move on at some point.

Edited by diehardlionfan

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

You’re right. There’s always stuff going on that fans don’t know about. For all we know Rodgers has indicated privately that he would like to move on at some point.

Or he could just be a pain to deal with and Lafleur wants to make his own stamp on the team. 

I mean, I get his perspective. The Packers haven't spent a 1st round pick on an offensive skill player since they took him. 

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Yep, my thoughts exactly.