2020 NFL Draft

BZski

Quinn was on 971 early this morning.  Claimed Okwara was on the short list at 35 and didn’t think there was anyway he would make it to them 32 picks or so later.  Although it’s nice to get a player they had such a high grade on in the 3rd it also makes me question there board.  Also mentioned they had about 10 guys calling every team on the board in front of 85 looking for the right deal for Jackson. Swift was top guy on there board going into Friday but also said there grades on Taylor, Dobbins, CEH and Swift weren’t far off from one another 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

Quinn was on 971 early this morning.  Claimed Okwara was on the short list at 35 and didn’t think there was anyway he would make it to them 32 picks or so later.  Although it’s nice to get a player they had such a high grade on in the 3rd it also makes me question there board.  Also mentioned they had about 10 guys calling every team on the board in front of 85 looking for the right deal for Jackson. Swift was top guy on there board going into Friday but also said there grades on Taylor, Dobbins, CEH and Swift weren’t far off from one another 

From what I've heard, Okwara was hurt by the pre-draft process. (Scott Bischoff?) I think it was a recap from He didn't do really anything at the combine and then didn't have a pro day. For a guy coming off an injury, he just couldn't show teams where he was at. If that is the case, then we really lucked out and hopefully should have a better than expected player at a key position. 

Yeah I just don’t think the tape shows that though.  I think Kennard is pretty good comp very similar athletic skill set .  I don’t think he was a great pick in the early 3rd (not terrible either) if they’d taken him in the 2nd I mite have thrown something and I’m really trying not to let this team bring that out of me anymore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

Very interesting.

I've read that some believe Okwara would've had a late 1st round grade if not for the injury. Quinn must've felt that the injury won't affect him moving forward. I agree: taking him at #32 would've been concerning, but it's great to hear that they're that high on him, and that he fell to their pick in the 3rd.

It's also interesting that they graded Taylor, Dobbins, CEH and Swift similarly, but didn't move down and attempt to accumulate some picks. With three prospects in that range, and the value remaining at the top of the 2nd, it's unfortunate that they didn't move down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Very interesting.

I've read that some believe Okwara would've had a late 1st round grade if not for the injury. Quinn must've felt that the injury won't affect him moving forward. I agree: taking him at #32 would've been concerning, but it's great to hear that they're that high on him, and that he fell to their pick in the 3rd.

It's also interesting that they graded Taylor, Dobbins, CEH and Swift similarly, but didn't move down and attempt to accumulate some picks. With three prospects in that range, and the value remaining at the top of the 2nd, it's unfortunate that they didn't move down.

I did hear that he was surprised to see Swift sitting there at the end of Day 1. He probably expected he would be the first or second RB taken in Round 1. Not hating on CEH but I don't think he's RB1 in the class. I'm more of a traditional workhorse runner guy and prefer a guy like Jonathan Taylor. 

Just for comparison:

Swift - 196 Attempts, 1218 Yards, 6.2 YPC, 7 TD's; 24 receptions, 216 yards, 9.0 YPR, 1TD

CEH - 215 Attempts, 1414, Yards, 6.6 YPC, 16 TD's; 55 receptions, 453 yards, 8.2 YPR, 1 TD

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Very interesting.

These were my two thoughts.  Except its worrisome that we had Okwara that high but nobody else between our 2nd and 3rd did so I am guessing he went right about where most people had him on their boards. 

And I agree about the trade down.  I wish we would have even just to add an additional 4th or something.  There were so many players in that range that I had a similar grade on and would have been happy with so weird for him to say that and not move down.  He should have lied and said they had Swift a notch above the rest. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

These were my two thoughts.  Except its worrisome that we had Okwara that high but nobody else between our 2nd and 3rd did so I am guessing he went right about where most people had him on their boards. 

And I agree about the trade down.  I wish we would have even just to add an additional 4th or something.  There were so many players in that range that I had a similar grade on and would have been happy with so weird for him to say that and not move down.  He should have lied and said they had Swift a notch above the rest. 

I appreciate the honesty more than just getting lip service to make ourselves feel better about the pick. There were a few different guys that offered different skillsets. If we were looking to straight up replace Kerryon then Taylor is probably the target. If we were looking for a guy that can compliment what we have but can also potentially be the lead guy, then Swift is a very good fit. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I appreciate the honesty more than just getting lip service to make ourselves feel better about the pick. There were a few different guys that offered different skillsets. If we were looking to straight up replace Kerryon then Taylor is probably the target. If we were looking for a guy that can compliment what we have but can also potentially be the lead guy, then Swift is a very good fit. 

Yeah, I guess I appreciate the honesty. It's just tough to hear that he had three players graded similarly and decided not to trade out of a valuable pick. It's not a big deal, but I feel that the really good, savvy GMs feel comfortable making that move.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I guess I appreciate the honesty. It's just tough to hear that he had three players graded similarly and decided not to trade out of a valuable pick. It's not a big deal, but I feel that the really good, savvy GMs feel comfortable making that move.

Sure but Swift could be his favourite/best fit given our situation and needs. He also has the least amount of tread on his tires. 

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Sure but Swift could be his favourite/best fit given our situation and needs. He also has the least amount of tread on his tires. 

Right. I think that's exactly our point: if Swift was your favorite, you thought he was the best fit and hasn't been ran into the ground, you probably had him graded significantly higher than the two other backs. If you think he's the clear-cut best player, he was your BPA. You took him because he was your BPA. If you had two other backs graded similarly, these 'factors' must not have been that much an issue and/or those backs had the same qualities. So: trade down, add a pick and land one of those three.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right. I think that's exactly our point: if Swift was your favorite, you thought he was the best fit and hasn't been ran into the ground, you probably had him graded significantly higher than the two other backs. If you think he's the clear-cut best player, he was your BPA. You took him because he was your BPA. If you had two other backs graded similarly, these 'factors' must not have been that much an issue and/or those backs had the same qualities. So: trade down, add a pick and land one of those three.

We could just be getting caught up in the language. It's possible that he didn't expect one of his preferred guys later on in the round. Taylor went 6 picks later and 5 RB's went between their 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

We could just be getting caught up in the language. It's possible that he didn't expect one of his preferred guys later on in the round. Taylor went 6 picks later and 5 RB's went between their 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that he should've traded out of the 2nd round. Akers went 52nd and Dobbins went 55th. Jump down 10 or so picks, grab that extra pick or two and see how things look. In the rare chance that Swift and Taylor go during the next two picks, negotiate a deal to get back up for Dobbins.

Again, it just seems to speak to Quinn's reluctance to play the board. I was extremely concerned when we didn't move down from #3 for that very reason. This information seems to suggest the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that he should've traded out of the 2nd round. Akers went 52nd and Dobbins went 55th. Jump down 10 or so picks, grab that extra pick or two and see how things look. In the rare chance that Swift and Taylor go during the next two picks, negotiate a deal to get back up for Dobbins.

Again, it just seems to speak to Quinn's reluctance to play the board. I was extremely concerned when we didn't move down from #3 for that very reason. This information seems to suggest the same.

I'm not so sure that it's not him playing the board as it is he's playing for the prospects he wants.  Doesn't trade down from 3...he wants Okudah and could lose him to Jax in a trade down.  He doesn't trade down from 35...he loses out on all 3 rbs he has graded similarly.  I'm not sure if he's heistant, or knows he needs to hit on prospects especially in the early rounds.

24 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm not so sure that it's not him playing the board as it is he's playing for the prospects he wants.  Doesn't trade down from 3...he wants Okudah and could lose him to Jax in a trade down.  He doesn't trade down from 35...he loses out on all 3 rbs he has graded similarly.  I'm not sure if he's heistant, or knows he needs to hit on prospects especially in the early rounds.

Yeah, I agree, and I think that's my concern: he's conservative. He's afraid to play the board, which the good GMs are able to do.

If that's the GM he is, that's fine: you won't miss out on a guy like Okudah, but you'll lose draft value by being reluctant to move around in the draft.

• Like 1