Jump to content
BZski

2020 NFL Draft

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, definitely. I'm not saying that I think it's a big deal, or that he was absolutely wrong for not trading down, but his statement seems to imply that he was in a position to extract more value from the draft.

Things we know:

  1. Swift, Taylor and Dobbins were all available with pick #35.
  2. Quinn graded these players similarly.
  3. Pick #35 has significant value.

Had Quinn just said "Yeah, Swift is the best fit for this team, we love his skillset, etc.", I'd have no questions. And, really, I like his honesty. It's just a prime situation to move down and still get a player at that position that you grade similarly.

I mean, there may of literally been zero offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I mean, there may of literally been zero offers. 

Yeah, definitely. If that's the case, and he tried to find some, then there's obviously nothing Quinn could've done. Again, these are all things that we don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, definitely. If that's the case, and he tried to find some, then there's obviously nothing Quinn could've done. Again, these are all things that we don't know.

And likely wont find out.  Unless another team releases it  It would be dumb for Quin to say he tried to move down instead of saying we didnt want  to miss our guy because then the loyalty that guy may develop is instantly gone.  Its hard to know whats honesty and whats just trying to make it sound like he knew what he was doing.  Its why I would have preferred they just say they had Swift higher and is a better fit for us, and then there is no question.   But I agree with your point on this, if you say and actually had three of them close, then you can afford to move, even if its just a 5th to drop 5 spots, to add value to that pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right. This is where the whole ultimatum can peak its head into things. Quinn has to make high percentage picks as he doesn't have the luxury of taking a gamble and having it not work out.

Sometimes being conservative isn't a bad thing. If you look at the financial markets right now, someone that was considered a genius 3 months ago while being overly aggressive and getting double digit returns has now lost their shirt with a loss of 30 - 40% of their overall portfolio in a very short period of time. 

Yep, I completely agree: if the ultimatum forced Quinn into handling the draft with a more conservative mindset, then that's another reason why the ultimatum was dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be the best or at least my favorite draft ever for the Lions.

I've been looking back and cant find anything that comes close. I was pretty geeked after the 11 draft but that ended up being a total dud lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't sleep on Huntley either. I think he can be a hell of a punt returner and 3rd down back. Reminds me of a better Stefan Logan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I wouldn't sleep on Huntley either. I think he can be a hell of a punt returner and 3rd down back. Reminds me of a better Stefan Logan.

I think they are looking for the JD McKissic role to be filled by him but also Agnews role. It opens up a roster spot because Agnew is strictly a returner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, BZski said:

I think they are looking for the JD McKissic role to be filled by him but also Agnews role. It opens up a roster spot because Agnew is strictly a returner.

I dont think it opens a roster spot unless they keep him as a legit RB, which means cutting JD, Ty, and maybe Bo.  I see him still likely taking up a roster spot primarily as a returner, if he makes the team.  My guess is he ends up on the PS this year at least while we see what we have in Ty and Bo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont think it opens a roster spot unless they keep him as a legit RB, which means cutting JD, Ty, and maybe Bo.  I see him still likely taking up a roster spot primarily as a returner, if he makes the team.  My guess is he ends up on the PS this year at least while we see what we have in Ty and Bo. 

Unless they slot him at RB/WR/KR/PR and they don't bring back Agnew (+1 offense, - 1 defense).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Unless they slot him at RB/WR/KR/PR and they don't bring back Agnew (+1 offense, - 1 defense).

I guess opening a roster spot to me means when someone who is a viable option to get real snaps on O or D is a return man.  Not just another spot being used as a return man. Just based on our depth chart, he is at best a 4th RB, and 5th/6th WR.  I just dont see him getting many snaps on offense.  So IMO, he is still a roster spot used solely for returns, if that is what he becomes.  He might offer slightly more value than Agnew, but he will have to be pretty solid to beat out Ty as a 4th RB and get on the field as I am pretty sure KJ and Swift will be the RBs used 95% of the time if healthy.  However I guess any snaps would be better than what Agnew offers on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I guess opening a roster spot to me means when someone who is a viable option to get real snaps on O or D is a return man.  Not just another spot being used as a return man. Just based on our depth chart, he is at best a 4th RB, and 5th/6th WR.  I just dont see him getting many snaps on offense.  So IMO, he is still a roster spot used solely for returns, if that is what he becomes.  He might offer slightly more value than Agnew, but he will have to be pretty solid to beat out Ty as a 4th RB and get on the field as I am pretty sure KJ and Swift will be the RBs used 95% of the time if healthy.  However I guess any snaps would be better than what Agnew offers on defense. 

Agnew had 21 snaps on defense last year and 16 snaps on offense. That's an average of 2 snaps a game on either offense or defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Agnew had 21 snaps on defense last year and 16 snaps on offense. That's an average of 2 snaps a game on either offense or defense. 

He also has a career 78% completion percent against so I prefer him not on the field.  So yeah, any productive snaps aside from O/D would be helpful from our return man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He also has a career 78% completion percent against so I prefer him not on the field.  So yeah, any productive snaps aside from O/D would be helpful from our return man. 

Yep... so really, if we can get anything at all from our return man (whether it's Agnew or Huntley) other than special teams is a plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×