2020 NFL Draft

BZski

3 minutes ago, Michael1976 said:

An interesting take by Jimmy Johnson.  Should the Lions entertain this idea?

I don’t disagree with the logic that QB talent trumps talent elsewhere. I’m just not high on Tua or Herbert to be honest. I wouldn’t mind drafting a QB in rounds 2/3/4/5 etc, and either letting them sit behind Stafford or grooming them as trade bait. We’ve seen Patriots do this and God knows BQ and MP and trying to copy the “Patriots Way”, but I just don’t think highly of Tua. Never have. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t disagree with the logic that QB talent trumps talent elsewhere. I’m just not high on Tua or Herbert to be honest. I wouldn’t mind drafting a QB in rounds 2/3/4/5 etc, and either letting them sit behind Stafford or grooming them as trade bait. We’ve seen Patriots do this and God knows BQ and MP and trying to copy the “Patriots Way”, but I just don’t think highly of Tua. Never have. 

My take on it was more of a scenario where if the Lions didn’t find a trade offer they liked at #3 and drafted a QB then the teams that are in “more” need of one would panic and then increase their original offer. 

I do wonder if teams like MIA and LAC are banking on the Lions not drafting a QB, but that they really want Tua. I just don't see how that's not the case: without the injuries, Tua is an elite QB prospect. (We only heard this "no one likes Tua" shift after the combine. I just can't help but think that it's a smokescreen.)

I'm beginning to think that, if I'm Quinn, and no one wants to move up, I just take Tua and offer him to the highest bidder. Surely someone wants him: a player with his ability is a valuable piece for any franchise. If no one will make the move, we just groom Tua behind Stafford, giving Tua two+ years to fully heal and get acclimated to the speed of the NFL.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Michael1976 said:

My take on it was more of a scenario where if the Lions didn’t find a trade offer they liked at #3 and drafted a QB then the teams that are in “more” need of one would panic and then increase their original offer. 

If they didn't want to trade for them when you have the pick I don't see why they would make the trade when you no longer have the leverage. If you take Tua or Herbert, you have to do it on the basis that you're comfortable having that player on your roster. 

When teams like the Patriots have drafted and traded a QB, it's been a 2nd or 3rd round pick that developed not a guy in the top 10. 

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If they didn't want to trade for them when you have the pick I don't see why they would make the trade when you no longer have the leverage. If you take Tua or Herbert, you have to do it on the basis that you're comfortable having that player on your roster. 

When teams like the Patriots have drafted and traded a QB, it's been a 2nd or 3rd round pick that developed not a guy in the top 10. 

Or a team just doesn’t believe the Lions will draft a Qb and try to shortchange them.  The Lions can call their bluff like the Chargers did with the Giants.  It’s no secret that I’d be ok with the Lions drafting Tua for the future, with that being said if the Lions drafted Tua and they were offered a king’s ransom for him I’d take it in a heartbeat.  A likely scenario no, but it'd make helluva draft.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I guess the thought would be that they aren't trading up because they don't think the Lions will actually take Tua. If you take him and hold his rights, you either 1) see their real interest, or 2) have your young QBOTF to groom. But, yeah, you have to be willing to keep him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I guess the thought would be that they aren't trading up because they don't think the Lions will actually take Tua. If you take him and hold his rights, you either 1) see their real interest, or 2) have your young QBOTF to groom. But, yeah, you have to be willing to keep him.

I think this would be best case scenario if there are no trade partners, because they are playing hard ball. 

• Like 1

Who is the player that you think without a doubt will be a Lion after draft weekend?

For me it is MLB Logan Wilson. I think he will be our 2nd rd pick and people will freak out. 3 down LBers are rare in the NFL and they go higher in the draft then people think they should.

14 minutes ago, Lionized said:

I think this would be best case scenario if there are no trade partners, because they are playing hard ball. 

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Unless the Lions really are interested in adding a young, potential QBOTF AND are comfortable with Tua's health/Herbert's ability, I don't think it's worth the risk. If you're ok with adding a young QB, you have to be able to sign off on Tua's injury history, which is difficult given the situation we're in right now. If his health is an ongoing issue, then we could wind up with absolutely nothing. 

I would rather take #5 or #6 and a 4th or a 5th, losing value,  if it came down to it as opposed to potentially being stuck with a guy we might not like (Herbert) or a guy that we don't know if he's even healthy (Tua). 

Also, I think we have all basically thought it to be a foregone conclusion that Okudah is the pick but listening to this Mike Lombardi interview (24:30 into the podcast) I have changed my thoughts. I think the pick will be Derrick Brown. Lombardi and BQ both scouted and learned under BB and I think their boards are very similar.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLnNvdW5kY2xvdWQuY29tL3VzZXJzL3NvdW5kY2xvdWQ6dXNlcnM6MzE0NDc4MzM3L3NvdW5kcy5yc3M&episode=dGFnOnNvdW5kY2xvdWQsMjAxMDp0cmFja3MvODAzNzY4NzI1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwio_7jxhProAhUEmuAKHVPdCyUQieUEegQIARAG&ep=6

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Unless the Lions really are interested in adding a young, potential QBOTF AND are comfortable with Tua's health/Herbert's ability, I don't think it's worth the risk. If you're ok with adding a young QB, you have to be able to sign off on Tua's injury history, which is difficult given the situation we're in right now. If his health is an ongoing issue, then we could wind up with absolutely nothing. 

I would rather take #5 or #6 and a 4th or a 5th, losing value,  if it came down to it as opposed to potentially being stuck with a guy we might not like (Herbert) or a guy that we don't know if he's even healthy (Tua). 

I agree best case scenario there is a trade down. However, if there is not. I think QOTF is a acceptable way to go. They know how Staffords back really is. Tua by all speculation would benefit sitting a year or two. Also, I know he’s not supposed to be seen by a team Dr, but my tin foil hat and I say someone knows what his injury status is. 

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Yeah, I'd much rather trade down for something than not trade down at all.

1 minute ago, Lionized said:

I agree best case scenario there is a trade down. However, if there is not. I think QOTF is a acceptable way to go. They know how Staffords back really is. Tua by all speculation would benefit sitting a year or two. Also, I know he’s not supposed to be seen by a team Dr, but my tin foil hat and I say someone knows what his injury status is. 

It's not that I don't think the teams know he's healthy now... it's can he stay healthy? He's 6'0, 217 lbs. He's already suffered some pretty rough injuries. I think one of the injuries was an ankle injury that was already surgically repaired and shouldn't have broken again (yet it did). 

If the Lions can't find a trade back partner and they feel that QBOTF is the best way to go, I do understand that logic. It just boils down to whether Miami and/or LA legitimately don't want to trade up or if they just don't want to pay a large price to do it. If it's the latter, then I'd drop the asking price. If it's the former, then it would make me question the prospects, if QB needy teams are so willing to pass them up. Either way, if Tua does wind up as a Lion, I would understand the thinking behind it. 

• Like 1

Pundits are coming back around to them staying at 3 and taking Derrick Brown. Go figure. I figured all along he was a very strong possibility, and now it seems like just the most Lions possible pick, super safe, super boring, guaranteed to be a decent to good 2-down player and guaranteed to not move the needle in any way.

• Like 1