2020 NFL Draft

BZski

I feel like there is no possible way this regime takes Tua without a trade lined up. Quinn and Patricia are both on the hot seat or at least the very warm seat, so they need to take the player they feel will help them win now in order to save their jobs, and Tua might be the worst possible player to take in the entire first round for a team trying to win next season. I expect "safe" win now picks for the entire draft.

• Like 5

You don’t let other teams dictate your draft. If you don’t get an offer you find acceptable you draft the best player that offers the greatest impact to your roster. 

The Lions drafting a QB in the hope someone will offer more than they would for the pick is silly. You only draft a QB when you want a QB. 

In my view it only makes sense to draft Tua if you have a trade lined up for Stafford and you’re prepared to let Chase start until Tua is ready. To keep Stafford until Tua is ready would simply decrease his trade value.

Drafting Tua now would simply be a replay of watching Stafford get drafted by a franchise that has failed to build a team around him. You don’t want Tua to take a pounding and this oline is still a big question mark. No running game, a lacklustre defence a secondary without Slay. 

However this is the Lions. They fired their winningest coach since the 50’s. So it shouldn’t shock to see the best QB in franchise history traded. Especially since they’ve done it before.

23 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

There are also rumors that the Falcons are interested in making a bold move well into the top 10, and want a CB. Would you trade down to #16 with ATL for picks #47, #78, #143 and a future 1st round pick?

i would do it. ive been seeing mock that D. Brown falls down to 16. if we did a move with Atl and got brown & atl's first next yr(not to mention #47,78 &143)  it would be a huge for our team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BZski said:

Who is the player that you think without a doubt will be a Lion after draft weekend?

For me it is MLB Logan Wilson. I think he will be our 2nd rd pick and people will freak out. 3 down LBers are rare in the NFL and they go higher in the draft then people think they should.

It'll be whoever I don't want...so the pick with the 2020 NFL draft for the Detroit Lions is...Derrick Brown DT Auburn.

11 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

You don’t let other teams dictate your draft. If you don’t get an offer you find acceptable you draft the best player that offers the greatest impact to your roster. 

The Lions drafting a QB in the hope someone will offer more than they would for the pick is silly. You only draft a QB when you want a QB. 

In my view it only makes sense to draft Tua if you have a trade lined up for Stafford and you’re prepared to let Chase start until Tua is ready. To keep Stafford until Tua is ready would simply decrease his trade value.

Drafting Tua now would simply be a replay of watching Stafford get drafted by a franchise that has failed to build a team around him. You don’t want Tua to take a pounding and this oline is still a big question mark. No running game, a lacklustre defence a secondary without Slay. 

However this is the Lions. They fired their winningest coach since the 50’s. So it shouldn’t shock to see the best QB in franchise history traded. Especially since they’ve done it before.

If Stafford were 26 and didn't have a history of serious back injuries, I'd agree. That is not the case.

One could make a legitimate argument that Tua is the best long-term selection, and that the Lions are a great destination for him: he'll be able to sit behind a franchise QB for a few years while getting up to speed. Once Tua is ready, the Lions would move Stafford and hand him the ball, seamlessly transitioning from one franchise QB to the next.

This allows the Lions to demand fair compensation pre-selection or take Tua and listen to offers afterwards. If those offers didn't come, they'd move forward with their QBOTF.

It's a wise approach.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

what if we used a 3-4th rd pick on Jake Fromm. i've seen him get compared to a "young Drew Brees" he wouldn't be asked to do much this yr but learn the system, Stafford doesnt have to look over his shoulder. both guys are went to Georiga.  

That would make much more sense than taking Tua or Herbert at #3 to me. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

what if we used a 3-4th rd pick on Jake Fromm. i've seen him get compared to a "young Drew Brees" he wouldn't be asked to do much this yr but learn the system, Stafford doesnt have to look over his shoulder. both guys are went to Georiga.  

I actually would like this. Especially at this spot in the draft.

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

i would do it. ive been seeing mock that D. Brown falls down to 16. if we did a move with Atl and got brown & atl's first next yr(not to mention #47,78 &143)  it would be a huge for our team

It'll be interesting to see how team's value next year's picks with the possibility of no 2020 college football season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

There are also rumors that the Falcons are interested in making a bold move well into the top 10, and want a CB. Would you trade down to #16 with ATL for picks #47, #78, #143 and a future 1st round pick?

Which pick? I'd be okay with trading #6 for that haul. If it's #3 I think we can do much better.

I'm often totally wrong, but all this posturing feels like a bunch of bored dudes making up nonsense. Here's my take;

Burrow is going 1.
Young is going 2 unless Washinton gets a package nobody is giving.
Detroit is trading down, and partner takes Tua at #3.
NYG are either trading down or taking Brown, Simmons, or an OT. Or both.
Miami is probably trading up to #3 for a good deal (for Detroit)
Detroit is taking Okudah or Brown.
LAC are probably trading up to #4 for a bad deal (for NYG)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Which pick? I'd be okay with trading #6 for that haul. If it's #3 I think we can do much better.

Yeah, that hypothetical would be for #3.

I would definitely be on the fence, but grabbing an extra 2nd and 3rd in this draft, as well as a future 1st round pick from a team that could hit rock bottom, is a valuable haul. We could still land a very good player at #16, plus a bunch of other quality players. But, man... that future 1st...