2020 NFL Draft

BZski

Just now, Superduperman said:

At this point I think the Lions trading out of 3 is very unlikely. I don't think they can get a deal done. You can say "it takes two to make a deal" but when there seemingly is never a partner, the possibility that you're the one doing something wrong goes up and up.

I would tend to agree.  I think the Lions have a guy in mind that isn't Chase Young, so unless they get the value they want I don't see them moving.  Plus, how far are the Lions really wanting to trade down?

Just now, CWood21 said:

But is there enough to separate Thomas from OT2 that would justify giving up 39+?  That's the problem I'm having issues with.  You've got four OT who could legitimately be argued as the top OT in the draft.  Why would you give up a pretty significant asset for that?

I would. And teams do it often. Just cause we have them grouped together doesnt mean teams do. Thomas has a stellar resume.

4 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I would. And teams do it often. Just cause we have them grouped together doesnt mean teams do. Thomas has a stellar resume.

I would agree with the last sentence, but the last time we've seen a pair of top 5 picks swapped that didn't involve a QB was 2012 when the Browns/Vikings swapped picks that led to Trent Richardson and Matt Kalil.  I'm not sure the last time you go back and saw a swap of top 5 picks after that.  Moving into the top 5 is way too expensive, and you'd have to have a clear grade lean to move up since you're probably still in a similar tier.

13 hours ago, GetDownandDirty said:

I’ve really like the idea of trading back, no matter who is there at #3. And i’m Convinced that ISAIAH SIMMONS should be our pick with our 1st pick. I watched a lot of his highlights videos & mainly the Championship game. He can do it all. Pass rush, drop into coverage, run stopper. I believe we need to shore up our linebackers & D line, which will take pressure off the secondary by not giving the QB’s all day to sit back in the pocket & pick our secondary apart. I believe Simmons is going to be a stud in this league & we’re going to look back & wish we took this guy when we had the chance. Quit worrying about replacing Diggs & Slay and start building a dominated front force. 

That is who I want, and have wanted pretty much since the off-season started.

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Yep. I think he and Njoku are being criminally underused. We have zero need at the position and I'd still do it simply because of his talent.

Totally agree.  I’d give our 4th. We’d have a major strength at TE with depth.  In a year we’d cut James and have Howard and Hock.  

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would tend to agree.  I think the Lions have a guy in mind that isn't Chase Young, so unless they get the value they want I don't see them moving.  Plus, how far are the Lions really wanting to trade down?

I think there will be interest my only fear is that Bob Quinn is an idiot.  If he doesn’t trade down NY or another team in the top 8 will.  They still might even if we do.  

4 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I think there will be interest my only fear is that Bob Quinn is an idiot.  If he doesn’t trade down NY or another team in the top 8 will.  They still might even if we do.  

I'm not sure it's that he's an idiot, but he's clearly a guy who sticks to his opinion.  In his last 3 drafts, 5 of his first 6 picks have been on positions that I'd argue are non-premium positions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If Stafford were 26 and didn't have a history of serious back injuries, I'd agree. That is not the case.

One could make a legitimate argument that Tua is the best long-term selection, and that the Lions are a great destination for him: he'll be able to sit behind a franchise QB for a few years while getting up to speed. Once Tua is ready, the Lions would move Stafford and hand him the ball, seamlessly transitioning from one franchise QB to the next.

This allows the Lions to demand fair compensation pre-selection or take Tua and listen to offers afterwards. If those offers didn't come, they'd move forward with their QBOTF.

It's a wise approach.

We have to disagree. For a team in win now mode it makes zero sense to use the 3rd pick to sit the player. If you want to sit a QB you better be a winning team or that QB better be selected later in the draft. 

The worst franchise in pro sports doesn’t have that luxury. Of course it’s the stupid moves that have made the Lions a laughing stock in pro sports.

Now that it's coming up. I'm still just not that excited... I mean for Lions... It's Okudah. Been telegraphed through the media for like... most the off-season. They do this every year. Target positions instead of talent. 

A nice surprise would be Simmons. If Matt Patrica is a real defensive genius he could use this guy as the premier defensive weapon in the game. Guys wanna talk about the JACK position... Drafting Simmons is the ultimate JACK in the game, DB, LB,DE. Simmons to me has the chance to be HOF talent if the team that drafts him uses him like a weapon and doesn't try to peg him as one type of player or 1 thing. With all the "depth" we have at LB/DB Lions could plus players all over the field while moving him around to create pressure, cover TE's, etc. His ability to actually "cover" players is what makes him standout among most JACK/multiple hat type players. Most guys don't fit at one position, this guy can play any LB spot, and might be fine as a SS. The fact that he can do more across the field, and well, is up to the coaches who draft him to get out of him. 

Excited to see what Cincy and Buffalo will do though, they're kind of my adopted teams, be interesting also to see what Lions use the 2nd round pick on or if they can get a trade down.

Lions do have some LB'er depth, like a lot. Think Davis might get flipped for a mid/late round pick some point this weekend? Likely not but just a thought. 

Edited by SimbaWho

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But is there enough to separate Thomas from OT2 that would justify giving up 39+?  That's the problem I'm having issues with.  You've got four OT who could legitimately be argued as the top OT in the draft.  Why would you give up a pretty significant asset for that?

GMs fall in love with players for various reasons. They also are known to over think the evaluation of a player and believe they are rite while other GMs are wrong. 

1 hour ago, Lionized said:

GMs fall in love with players for various reasons. They also are known to over think the evaluation of a player and believe they are rite while other GMs are wrong. 

*Right* Wink. :D

But yeah I agree with you. GM's do what they want. Daniel Jones was a top 10 pick last year... lol. I mean same with Hockenson. Boards are different from every other person, Gm's are just the same.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Totally agree.  I’d give our 4th. We’d have a major strength at TE with depth.  In a year we’d cut James and have Howard and Hock.  

I think he would warrant that 4th, which is the same value as what the Bucs gave up for Gronk. Unless there are behind the scenes/locker room issues we don't know about, I would totally do a 4th for Howard. We have the cap space to absorb it and we do want to have TE as a position of strength for this offense. TE has never really been a staple of an Arians led offense anyway, so maybe a part of his downside is Howard with another part Arians and his scheme. 

10 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

why dont we just sign Trey Burton?  save the draft pick.  Burton is fine being a #2 TE he was in Philly cause of Ertz. he wont costs much 

I expect that the Burton we saw in Chicago is closer to the TB we'd be getting than the one in Philly. The team has shown they aren't against paying a TE (James) and they'll have Hockenson for a while on a rookie contract. You get a highly athletic, 1st round talent on a 2 year deal for a small cost. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I expect that the Burton we saw in Chicago is closer to the TB we'd be getting than the one in Philly. The team has shown they aren't against paying a TE (James) and they'll have Hockenson for a while on a rookie contract. You get a highly athletic, 1st round talent on a 2 year deal for a small cost. 

I would personally rather draft Moss in the 4th if he is there. I think he will be great player. If not, I would prefer to use the pick on a long term need like WR or Guard. Since this draft is so deep, we should likely be able to land starter level talent in that round. 

As for Howard, yes he is very athletic and was a first round pick, but he hasnt really shown enough to this point to take a chance on that kind of luxury in my opinion. One could certainly argue that he is on the cusp, but I just dont see it being with us.

Edited by BarryTheBest
  • Like 1