2020 NFL Draft

BZski

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Moving down that far means you're drafting at least a tier if not more lower.  Are you willing to do that for more picks?

As I said in a post just after that: "I would definitely be on the fence." In a draft this deep, adding a "pretty significant asset", as well as a mid-3rd and mid-4th, is huge. What can't be ignored is the future 1st from ATL: I don't think it's a stretch to think that they'll be drafting in the top 10 next year, perhaps even in the top 5.

So:

Okudah
or
Fulton, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a future 1st round pick

I would definitely be on the fence.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's also a legitimate discussion to be had that Tua is the worst possible selection that Detroit could reasonably make.  It's really not much of a surprise that the Lions' FO and coaching staff figure to be on the hot seats this years.  Do you take a pick for a future regime who doesn't have any ties to the player?  What happens if the next GM decides they don't like Tua.  It's a Rosen situation all over again.

Sure, if you ignore that this team is only picking at #3 because Stafford got hurt: absolutely. If this was truly a 3-12-1 team, it might not make as much sense. That's not the situation.

If Quinn and Patricia believe that drafting Tua is the best thing for the future of this organization, they should absolutely draft Tua. If they happen to get fired, the ownership should only hire a GM/coach that believes in building around Tua. Drafting a lesser player for fear that they might get fired at some point would be absolutely awful decision-making.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

We have to disagree. For a team in win now mode it makes zero sense to use the 3rd pick to sit the player. If you want to sit a QB you better be a winning team or that QB better be selected later in the draft. 

The worst franchise in pro sports doesn’t have that luxury. Of course it’s the stupid moves that have made the Lions a laughing stock in pro sports.

You know what? I went back (for some reason) and re-watched the 2007 NFL Draft. Listening to the draft 'experts' hype up names like JaMarcus Russell, Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson, while criticizing the picks of Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson, was an absolutely fascinating experience.

The only thing that matters is that we draft the right player. If Tua becomes an All Pro and league MVP, and he's playing for another team, we'll forever regret passing on him (and will be laughed at for doing just that). If Quinn and Patricia believe that Tua is that player, they should take him 10 out of 10 times. Passing on him out of fear that they might get fired would make them awful at their jobs.

Don’t let it be Brees 2.0. If Saban had not failed his physical, Saban would probably still be coaching in the NFL and Sean Payton would not be the Saints head coach. 

Deshaun Watson has missed 14 games vs Mitch 2. Which QB would you rather have? You take Watson because he’s the better QB. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You know what? I went back (for some reason) and re-watched the 2007 NFL Draft. Listening to the draft 'experts' hype up names like JaMarcus Russell, Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson, while criticizing the picks of Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson, was an absolutely fascinating experience.

The only thing that matters is that we draft the right player. If Tua becomes an All Pro and league MVP, and he's playing for another team, we'll forever regret passing on him (and will be laughed at for doing just that). If Quinn and Patricia believe that Tua is that player, they should take him 10 out of 10 times. Passing on him out of fear that they might get fired would make them awful at their jobs.

While I dont want a QB high I have to agree.

If Tua is that good, then take him. You may never win with him but you would be doing your job the right way.

And who knows. Maybe Stafford gets hurt and Tua lights it up.

No matter how you look at it, this truly is a critical draft for this franchise. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Interesting on the 2007 draft criticism. The main reason Calvin was criticized was the Lions had already taken two WR's high that busted. AP had some injury questions coming out but obviously that was a non-issue. The only reason Thomas was criticized was that the Browns needed a QB and Brady Quinn was the presumed pick. When they bypassed him a lot of people were wondering what they were thinking. Funny how one is a College HOF player (Quinn) while another is a HOFer that will find his way to Canton. 

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Interesting on the 2007 draft criticism. The main reason Calvin was criticized was the Lions had already taken two WR's high that busted. AP had some injury questions coming out but obviously that was a non-issue. The only reason Thomas was criticized was that the Browns needed a QB and Brady Quinn was the presumed pick. When they bypassed him a lot of people were wondering what they were thinking. Funny how one is a College HOF player (Quinn) while another is a HOFer that will find his way to Canton. 

Eh, they really talked up Levi Brown over Joe Thomas, and believed that the Lions should've gone Brady Quinn over Calvin.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Eh, they really talked up Levi Brown over Joe Thomas, and believed that the Lions should've gone Brady Quinn over Calvin.

Ah yes.. I remember that too. That was my thinking watching my first Lions game in 2006 against the Bills. Quinn was a spectacular college QB. 

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Calvin, Joe Thomas, AP, Landry and Willis were the guys I liked in that draft.  I really wanted to trade down and grab Willis.  When we took Calvin I remember being cool with it because he was that good.  He’s still the best prospect coming out i’ve ever seen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Millenhater said:

Calvin, Joe Thomas, AP, Landry and Willis were the guys I liked in that draft.  I really wanted to trade down and grab Willis.  When we took Calvin I remember being cool with it because he was that good.  He’s still the best prospect coming out i’ve ever seen.  

Yeah... running that 40 after borrowing someone's cleats was pretty incredible. 

• Like 1

Anyone else believe we don't draft okudah?..I was watching BoB's interviews this past week and hows hes stated that he believe this is a deep draft class for CB's and that there is plenty of talent...I'm not one to faver taking a CB so high seeing the turn around in the first year really hasn't worked to a T. Plus having spent a 2nd on a CB that was a bust just a couple years ago and finding success with a later round CB I'd just be hesitant to think he takes one with the 3rd overall pick....One thing also where does Okudah fall or get drafted at if we don't take him?

Edited by MortexLion

2 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Anyone else believe we don't draft okudah?..I was watching BoB's interviews this past week and hows hes stated that he believe this is a deep draft class for CB's and that there is plenty of talent...I'm not one to faver taking a CB so high seeing the turn around in the first year really hasn't really worked to a T. Plus having spent a 2nd on a CB that was a bust just a couple years ago and finding success with a later round CB I'd just be hesitant to think he takes one with the 3rd overall pick....One thing also where does Okudah fall or get drafted at if we don't take him?

I don't believe a word out of any GM's mouth right now.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Anyone else believe we don't draft okudah?..I was watching BoB's interviews this past week and hows hes stated that he believe this is a deep draft class for CB's and that there is plenty of talent...I'm not one to faver taking a CB so high seeing the turn around in the first year really hasn't worked to a T. Plus having spent a 2nd on a CB that was a bust just a couple years ago and finding success with a later round CB I'd just be hesitant to think he takes one with the 3rd overall pick....One thing also where does Okudah fall or get drafted at if we don't take him?

Giants, Dolphins Chargers, Carolina, Arizona, Jacksonville all could go Okudah if he falls.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

i dont think we draft him. i think its going be Simmons or Brown, if we stay in top 10.  Also alot of the Nation media has been mocking us one of Simmons/Brown recently. take that for what its worth.

Edited by flyguy1609

38 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

I'm starting to feel that an OT makes a ton of sense. This is a fantastic draft for OTs, we have a glaring need at the position, and could comfortably trade down to #6 and grab a great one. Shifting Vaitai to RG would be his best fit, in my opinion, so the decision would immediately upgrade two key positions.

• Like 1