Week 3 GDT: Atland Falcons @ Detroit Lions

HashtagFTW

6 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It was.  I didn't think it was close.

My only issue is the 10 second runoff to end a game.  Can't happen.  That rule needs to be changed.

Actually agree with TL here. The only other wrinkle I'd add is that he was going to the ground when he caught the ball so the process of the catch wasn't completed until he was in the endzone. Don't know what the rule book says about where the ball is spotted in that situation and I'm not in the mood to look it up.

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It was.  I didn't think it was close.

My only issue is the 10 second runoff to end a game.  Can't happen.  That rule needs to be changed.

I don't see it. You can see space between his knee pad and the turf as it's turning. The ball corsses before it hits and I would have to assume his knee of would be the furthest extension.

1 minute ago, theuntouchable said:

I don't see it. You can see space between his knee pad and the turf as it's turning. The ball corsses before it hits and I would have to assume his knee of would be the furthest extension.

Just before there.  His knee hits the ground before that happens.  I know, I thought the same thing at first.

detroitroar: nope, no timeouts.

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Actually agree with TL here. The only other wrinkle I'd add is that he was going to the ground when he caught the ball so the process of the catch wasn't completed until he was in the endzone. Don't know what the rule book says about where the ball is spotted in that situation and I'm not in the mood to look it up.

Insane.  Great point.  If it's not a catch until he established that it is, how can he be down before catching it?

Rule:

ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

1. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
  2. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
  3. maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).

Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Archived