Patriots sign QB Brian Hoyer

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Love sucks

Patriots fall in love with relatively small program quarterbacks who are really talented throwing downfield. The more accurate they are the more in love they seem to be. I think Love fits the Patriots profile. As does Hurts and I wouldn't be shocked if they select one in the first given that they are without a second round pick and are currently rostering the least talented group of quarterbacks in the draft.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Pittsburgh just won 8 games with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph at QB, and you think Bill can't win 8 with Brian Hoyer?  Somehow the Browns were even able to win 7 games with him one year.

And yes, i find the idea of Bill tanking games to be extremely wild.  He's just not wired that way.

Will everyone please stop with the Hoyer as the starter. The starter is Stidman

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Will everyone please stop with the Hoyer as the starter. The starter is Stidman

It doesn't matter in March.  The point is that they're not going to lose 14 games with any of the QB's currently on the roster.  Maybe Ryan Finley, but not the guys currently on the roster.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Patriots fall in love with relatively small program quarterbacks who are really talented throwing downfield. The more accurate they are the more in love they seem to be. I think Love fits the Patriots profile. As does Hurts and I wouldn't be shocked if they select one in the first given that they are without a second round pick and are currently rostering the least talented group of quarterbacks in the draft.

Great if the case I'll take him in the 5/6 round. You can't waste high draft capital on players that might not work out.  Remember there is no Brady to bail them out going forward. Any draft reach becomes that more costly if it fails.

Edited by m haynes

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

It doesn't matter in March.  The point is that they're not going to lose 14 games with any of the QB's currently on the roster.  Maybe Ryan Finley, but not the guys currently on the roster.

Maybe Ryan Finley,   ???????????????????????????? Did I miss something

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Oh rightttt

because Stidam and Hoyer are light years ahead of Finley

Gotcha

Other than Edelman there is no one on offense of note

Zero

Nada

The GOAT couldnt make it work last year with what they had and now Stidam/Hoyer are going to be able to win 8 games ? 

Am I missing something here

I'm not a Pat's hater by any stretch of the imagination but I'm just saying come on here,  theres nothing to throw to

Everyone will Stack the box and Sony won't be able to run and this team is gona tank hard

They will be lucky to be 2nd  in that division 

4 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Oh rightttt

because Stidam and Hoyer are light years ahead of Finley

Gotcha

Other than Edelman there is no one on offense of note

Zero

Nada

The GOAT couldnt make it work last year with what they had and now Stidam/Hoyer are going to be able to win 8 games ? 

Am I missing something here

I'm not a Pat's hater by any stretch of the imagination but I'm just saying come on here,  theres nothing to throw to

Everyone will Stack the box and Sony won't be able to run and this team is gona tank hard

They will be lucky to be 2nd  in that division 

3.38 ANY/A vs. 5.86 ANY/A says yes, Hoyer is light years ahead of Finley.

Pats will win games because they'll run the ball and play D.  They didn't need a fully functioning Brady offense last year to win 12 games, and they're certainly not going to regress to 2 wins without him.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I don’t think a 20td to 17ints oozes with accuracy. over confidence maybe, but I don’t think the pats are really into turning the ball over a lot. 

Since Matt Cassel (who was a 7th round pick) was really the only guy Belichick spent an actual draft pick on that didn't meet a certain benchmark minimum of Bill Parcells' requirements for a quarterback prospect (e.g. a senior, started at least 3 years, graduated, started 30 games, won 23 games, 2:1 TD to INT ratio, at least a 60% comp).  The only 7/7's in that regard in this class are Hurts, Herbert, and I believe Nathan Stanley.  The top names among the 5/7's are Fromm, Burrow, and Love.  If BB is drafting a QB, I strongly doubt he dips below that 5/7 benchmark.

For reference, Jimmy G was a 7/7 I believe.  Brissett was a 5 or 6/7 (narrowly missed on completion % by <1% on his college career stats; I'm too lazy to go look to see how many wins NC State had under him).  Stidham was a 5/7 (didn't meet being a senior or graduating).  Kevin O'Connell is really the one who stands out as not meeting the criteria.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

Can't see BB intentionally tanking. I doubt BB believes you need a "top pick" QB to build a dynasty. He will find a QB who fits/buys into his system and plug in players and work around their strengths. 

Some people over-value the draft. How many players each year that come from the draft end up being great? Picking up UFAs atleast guarantees a sample pool of the players strengths. Having your multi-million dollar franchise/team tank for a higher draft pick the following is stupid, and hardly ever warranted.

BB references in interviews, the Art of War by Sun Tzu, in that you empower your strengths, and attack your enemies weaknesses. Certainly Brady afforded him a lot of room with his ability to make on-field adjustments, etc... BUT, that was assuming Brady as a strength. Now that he's gone, it changes. No better way to gauge how well a player performs in the NFL than looking to the UFA charts.

People saying the Patriots will tank are betting on a 50/50 gamble in hopes that they can say they told you so. Realistically, they're telling themselves that, because BB and co. make it more like 80/20 that the Pats will fair just fine without Brady.

We had no offense last year anyway, and still went 12-4.