Can Somebody tell me what the Chargers are doing?

Nzd07

Outside of letting Melvin Gordon walk (although he didn't cost the Broncos a whole lot), can't think of one move they made that made any sense. All of their FA signings were old guys and they let Rivers walk. Do they really think Tyrod Taylor is better than Rivers?

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Letting Lynn make the decisions knowing they're going to fire him at the end of the year.

Just inked to a three year extension and our owner is cheap so while I like the idea; I doubt it happens. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Outside of letting Melvin Gordon walk (although he didn't cost the Broncos a whole lot), can't think of one move they made that made any sense. All of their FA signings were old guys and they let Rivers walk. Do they really think Tyrod Taylor is better than Rivers?

I honestly think Coach Lynn is sold on Tyrod Taylor being a franchise QB. The moves they’ve made make me think we are going to make the old Martyball offense look gimmicky. I expect us to be very run heavy this year with a bunch of stupid option plays and maybe the wildcat. The off season moves make me scratch my head as they make you think this team is gearing up for a playoff push, until you look and see the QB is either a rookie with huge question marks, or Tyrod Taylor. It’s baffling. They likely will improve on last years record due to just not having the turmoil and injuries they endured in 2019 but this won’t be a better team. Wondering what kind of impact these deals will have on resigning Bosa, Allen, Williams and Ingram in 2021...

Honestly, I think they looked at the list of available QBs once Brady was off the table, and saw no one that they could win with. Like, they'll go nowhere with Taylor, but is it really that much better with Bridgewater, Dalton, Winston, Mariota, etc.? They just missed the playoffs with zombie Rivers, so no sense trying that over again. I think they saw a list of QBs they'd go nowhere fast with, and chose to pass, and either roll with what they have (a cheaper dead end) or draft somebody, depending on how things fall. It's the smart move, long term, IMO. Won't be the best idea this year, but past that, it's better than the other options available to them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Not trying to be that homer here: But I think you are unfairly criticizing the Chargers moves by saying none of their moves "made any sense."

- They flat out fleeced the Panthers by going from old Russell Okung with a bad medical condition and went younger with Trai Turner.

- Linval Joseph (While old and possibly declining) was still a pretty good addition. Our run defense has been garbage for awhile now. He's certainly an upgrade from Mebane if nothing else.

- Our CB situation didn't have much depth. Harris Jr makes it that much better even if if he isn't elite anymore. We also got pretty good value on him.

- Bryan Bulaga is certainly an upgrade at RT from Tevi. Even if you aren't that high on him we needed to upgrade our tackles desperately.

- Ekeler and Henry are key skill players that we insured will be on the team next year. I would like to see us give Bosa his extension before this offseason is done, however.

Will this team be competing for a Super Bowl? No. But even with Tyrod starting I wouldn't really be that shocked if they went 9-7 and snuck in as the 2nd/3rd wild card. This team is more talented than the Bills team Tyrod went to the playoffs with in 2017 - so it's not impossible.

I would probably say Tyrod is a lateral move from what Rivers was last year. Rivers was a turnover machine. For as many close games that we lost a lot of them could've possibly been won just by not turning the ball over - which Tyrod won't do near as much. Tyrod is probably a better fit for what Lynn wants to do offensively as well.

I think what you can mainly take from this offseason is that the line has been upgraded and most of our skill players have been retained. It's setting up whoever the QB next year is (which could possibly be a rookie by the end of the season) to succeed.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, I think they looked at the list of available QBs once Brady was off the table, and saw no one that they could win with. Like, they'll go nowhere with Taylor, but is it really that much better with Bridgewater, Dalton, Winston, Mariota, etc.? They just missed the playoffs with zombie Rivers, so no sense trying that over again. I think they saw a list of QBs they'd go nowhere fast with, and chose to pass, and either roll with what they have (a cheaper dead end) or draft somebody, depending on how things fall. It's the smart move, long term, IMO. Won't be the best idea this year, but past that, it's better than the other options available to them.

The thing is that whoever our QB is next year is in better position to succeed than they would've been before the o-line upgrades. Retaining Ekeler/Henry is also pretty big too. Losing Gordon isn't that much of a loss and wouldn't be shocked to see us use a day 2 pick on a RB to be part of the committee with Ekeler/Jackson.

If this team somehow goes like 9-7 and sneaks in as like the 7th playoff team it wouldn't be totally shocking - this team does have more talent than the 2017 Bills did.

59 minutes ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

TT has his flaws but he is a great athlete with a decent arm. Think Baltimore with a lesser version of Lamar.

I think the biggest upgrade is that he just wont be turning the ball over like Rivers was last year.

Can't really be understated how much turnovers plagued us last year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Just inked to a three year extension and our owner is cheap so while I like the idea; I doubt it happens. 

Link? I read that it was only 1 year.

Edited by Xenos