O-Line Situation

Canuck

With Scherff back and Flowers & Trent gone, how does our O-Line look going into next year?

LT - Christian

LG - Martin

C - Roullier

RG - Scherff

RT - Moses

Depth:

T - Lucas / Adams / Parris

G - Schweitzer / Pierschbacher

C - none?

Martin filled in well at RG when Scherff was out, but can he play LG just as well? If he killed it at RG, I think we should experiment with Scherff at different positions. Either at RT (and swing Moses to the LT spot) or at LT. Have we ever played Scherff at the tackle spot? It just seems like a waste of his talents to keep him at RG his whole career. We have a massive hole at LT and he should be able to fill it

Ross P is a center. He played mostly C at Alabama.

And while this may be the current OL situation, I 100% believe we’ll sign a FA LT - even if its re-signing Penn - after & if Trent is traded.

Scherff couldn't beat out Moses to be the RT in 2015. I think those two should stay where they are, Martin or Schweitzer will be the starting LG and the starting LT is TBD.

There's a chance Lucas beats out Moses to play RT though, I think moving Moses to LT is the absolute last resort.

Edited by turtle28

LT: ?? / Christian

LG: Schweitzer / Martin

C: Roullier / Pierschbacher

RG: Scherff / Martin

RT: Moses / Lucas

Think there’s a chance they carry one more guard, especially given Scherff’s unreliability, but I think I would carry 8 OL given the apparent desire for depth at LB and secondary.

They're really taking a chance at LT, in my opinion. I get that signing a Trent replacement probably decreases their trade leverage to some degree, but you absolutely cannot risk a scenario where guys like Peters, Beachum, and Glenn come off the FA board and you’re left holding the bag. Sending Haskins out there with no blindside protector would be a criminal offense. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

LT: ?? / Christian

LG: Schweitzer / Martin

C: Roullier / Pierschbacher

RG: Scherff / Martin

RT: Moses / Lucas

Think there’s a chance they carry one more guard, especially given Scherff’s unreliability, but I think I would carry 8 OL given the apparent desire for depth at LB and secondary.

They're really taking a chance at LT, in my opinion. I get that signing a Trent replacement probably decreases their trade leverage to some degree, but you absolutely cannot risk a scenario where guys like Peters, Beachum, and Glenn come off the FA board and you’re left holding the bag. Sending Haskins out there with no blindside protector would be a criminal offense. 

I’d much prefer Kelvin Beachum from the 3 mentioned above. Jason Peters and Corday Glenn are constantly injured.

Geron Christian’s inability to become a serviceable lineman has really hurt that unit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Canuck said:

With Scherff back and Flowers & Trent gone, how does our O-Line look going into next year?

LT - Christian

LG - Martin

C - Roullier

RG - Scherff

RT - Moses

Depth:

T - Lucas / Adams / Parris

G - Schweitzer / Pierschbacher

C - none?

Martin filled in well at RG when Scherff was out, but can he play LG just as well? If he killed it at RG, I think we should experiment with Scherff at different positions. Either at RT (and swing Moses to the LT spot) or at LT. Have we ever played Scherff at the tackle spot? It just seems like a waste of his talents to keep him at RG his whole career. We have a massive hole at LT and he should be able to fill it

Pierschbacher can play OC as well. Scherff is an all pro RG and I would not be comfortable moving him to LT against a lot of these speed rushers. Wes Martin played LG his entire college career and allowed only 2 QB sacks. I expect him to win the LG spot and hold it down. 

I think the FO might be confident they can keep Trent or trade for a 2nd and might be waiting it out. If there is a OT I like in the 2nd round it Lucas Niang from TCU. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Weakest OL in the nfl and may not even be close

we only have one legitimate nfl starter and he’s coming back from major injury 

we need to sign three or four backup qbs to get ready for the season. 

You keep saying that but it's not true. Our OL isn't even the worse in the division, the Giants is worse.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I hope we bring in a bunch of UDFA and find one keeper !

I don’t see any UDFA’s making it on this line a sticking. 

Look at ATrain’s post. Our OL isn’t the best but it doesn’t have a bunch of holes either, not even in depth. 

When Trent is traded, that’s the only position we’ll need to fix. 

We have good interior OL depth & competition, same at RT.

Where is an UDFA going to make the team and stick?

LT - Christian - probably a vet starter will be signed (Peters, Beachum, Penn?)

LG - Schweitzer, Martin

C - Roullier,  Pierschbacher

RG - Scherff

RT - Moses, Lucas

That’s 8 OL who are almost guaranteed to make the roster — at least at this time - we will need a starting LT, and that’s it. At worst that’s Penn again.

Edited by turtle28