How many WR1's are in the NFL? And how important is it?

BayRaider

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yikes.

11.5 YPR on his career. 

Mohamed Sanu has 11.2 YPR on his career and through his first 4 years had 11.8 YPR. 

He's not the best WR in the NFL. He's basically Mohamed Sanu with more targets. 

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

11.5 YPR on his career. 

Mohamed Sanu has 11.2 YPR on his career and through his first 4 years had 11.8 YPR. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that might be up there for one of the worst takes I've seen on this site, and I've been following this site since around 2005.

Edited by tyler735

🤝
On 3/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, BayRaider said:

On 3/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, BayRaider said:

Personally, I feel it's a rare breed and on average looking at history, there is 10-14 in the NFL at any given time.

Here is my rankings:

Wide Receiver True 1's:

1. Michael Thomas

Definitely my #1. You just can't guard this guy, good luck. He's massive, with an insane catch radius both wide and vertical, and will just convert an insane amount of 3rd downs. Best WR in the NFL.

2. Mike Evans

Perhaps I have Evans a little higher than most but he has everything you want. Hulk-Like Size and catch radius, solid at routes, great hands, aggressive, good speed for his size, 3rd down converter, extremely reliable.

3. Tyreek Hill

I also have Hill higher than most but he makes a huge difference for the Chiefs. They are so much better with him it's not even funny. Not only does Hill run a 4.24, but he's built like a tank and a really good route runner.

4. AJ Green

Also maybe not a popular choice but I've always preferred Green over most WR's. His skillset is insane. He's injury prone and has been on a lackluster offense for years but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does great, great things with Joe Burrow.

5. Julio Jones

6. DeAndre Hopkins

7. JuJu Smith-Schuster

8. Courtland Sutton

Big fan of Sutton, he's gonna keep doing great things.

9. Odell Beckam Jr.

I personally feel Odell is slightly overrated but I still think he's a true WR1, Top 10 WR.

10. Keenan Allen

11. Amari Cooper

12. Cooper Kupp

Upper Tier WR2's including: Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, A.J. Brown, Calvin Ridley, Stefon Diggs, Adam Theilen, Robert Woods, Chris Godwin, Terry McLaurin, D.J. Moore, Mike Williams.

Normal Tier WR2's: Tyrell Williams, Jarvis Landry, Deebo Samuel, T.Y. Hilton, John Brown (although I personally love Brown), D.J. Chark, Tyler Boyd, Julian Edelmen, Hollywood Brown, DaVante Parker, D.K. Metcalf, Tyler Locket, Michael Gallup, Will Fuller, Robby Anderson, Golden Tate, DeSean Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, John Ross, Alshon Jeffrey, Marvin Jones, Kenny Golloday (not as sold on him as most are, more of a fantasy darling).

Everything after these should be a #3 option, although I probably forgot a couple names.

How important is a WR1?

Personally, I think it's a luxury position. Would I love to luck into one in the 2nd-4th Round? Absolutely. But using a Top 15 pick on one is excessive. The Chiefs won with a WR1 last year but Mahomes/Reid is one of the greatest combos we've ever seen. Before last year, you'd have to go back all the way to SB42 with Plaxico Burress and SB41 with Marvin Harrison. A long, long time ago. Before that, you'd have to back to The Greatest Show on Turf with Super Bowl 34 with Holt/Bruce.

Not saying having a WR1 is a bad thing, but it depends on the price. Most Championship teams have almost always had two WR2's and a solid defense. Having a true WR1 is not really necessary to win a Super Bowl and usually does not result in a Super Bowl win, as you could of spent those resources elsewhere. Is it bad to have one? Absolutely not. Especially if you got them in the Late 1st or later + On a Rookie Contract Still. Having a great player at any position is always a great thing. It's just that resources are scarce.

I'm sorry what? Are we forgetting when Adams still put up numbers with Brett Hundley as his starting Quarterback? Yet you're putting Kupp / Sutton and JuJu as true #1's? I thought the good drug dealers would be inaccessible due to the quarantine and that we'd start seeing some improvement on individual takes as an NFL community due to this. Well, this post just **** on that assumption.

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, BayRaider said:

Adams is not the greatest separator by any means and has had a Top 2-3 QB in the league throwing in very tight-accurate windows. Adams is a solid WR. I don’t see him as a WR1. He’ll get shut down by most Top Corners. 

Literally the only thing I could think of when I saw this:

I Award You No Points GIFs | Tenor

21 hours ago, scar988 said:

11.5 YPR on his career. 

Holy hell, are you kidding me? You're better than this.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Holy hell, are you kidding me? You're better than this.

I'm not kidding you. Michael Thomas is a WR1, but it's not like he does anything special to be the No. 1 WR in the NFL or anything. He's not a deep threat. In like any way. He does a great job getting separation in close areas. He does a great job catching the ball. But I don't see a guy who would change a team's entire offense or is really that special.

Basically, if Julio Jones is a Ferrari, and Calvin Johnson is a Lamborghini, Michael Thomas is a really nice Nissan Maxima.

Edited by scar988

46 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I'm not kidding you. Michael Thomas is a WR1, but it's not like he does anything special to be the No. 1 WR in the NFL or anything. He's not a deep threat. In like any way. He does a great job getting separation in close areas. He does a great job catching the ball. But I don't see a guy who would change a team's entire offense or is really that special.

Basically, if Julio Jones is a Ferrari, and Calvin Johnson is a Lamborghini, Michael Thomas is a really nice Nissan Maxima.

But calling him Mohammad Sanu with more targets is just asinine. 

I'll concede he's not as great as Julio, Hopkins in my opinion. He does benefit from a huge target share. But he's produced in that span, moreso than other target hogs such as Mike Evans or Keenan Allen have, other WRs with disproportionate target shares. 

Your car analogy is off. Julio is a high end Ferrari, Calvin is a Lamborghini - very high end sport cars, fine. At worst, Thomas is a Porsche Panamara or a Cadillac CTS-V a high end and dependable vehicle with some street cred that can do a little bit of everything... but is a quality daily driver at its core. 

Guys like Allen and Evans are like the Maxima (and I love the Maxima, actually looking at a 2020 Platinum right now). It's a great car, but I'd prefer a six figure CTS-V over that.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:52 PM, m haynes said:

WR is a secondary position. You don't need to have a # 1 WR to win. Dominate QB and OL wins. You just need good/ serviceable WRs.  Don't  believe me, take a look at the Pats history from 2001.  Most of you could not name more than 3/4 WR during the Pats historical run. No peeking!

Best example,  WR are secondary  Cleveland Browns .

You also don't need to draft a QB in the 1st 4 rds if you look at the Patriots. 

Also you shouldn't have one of the highest paid QBs in the lg. I believe the last QB who won the SB and was top 5 in pay at QB was Rodgers like 10 years ago. 

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But calling him Mohammad Sanu with more targets is just asinine. 

I'll concede he's not as great as Julio, Hopkins in my opinion. He does benefit from a huge target share. But he's produced in that span, moreso than other target hogs such as Mike Evans or Keenan Allen have, other WRs with disproportionate target shares. 

Your car analogy is off. Julio is a high end Ferrari, Calvin is a Lamborghini - very high end sport cars, fine. At worst, Thomas is a Porsche Panamara or a Cadillac CTS-V a high end and dependable vehicle with some street cred that can do a little bit of everything... but is a quality daily driver at its core. 

Guys like Allen and Evans are like the Maxima (and I love the Maxima, actually looking at a 2020 Platinum right now). It's a great car, but I'd prefer a six figure CTS-V over that.

I mean, I was just degrading Thomas at that point, but he's basically a rich-man's Sanu. And while Thomas is good, if he was with anyone but Brees, everyone would see him as a Maxima. not a Porche.

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why tho? You've got the best WR in football. Shore up LT.

We just paid our LT of the future this offseason. And have 4 of our 5 starters back, plus Gilbert who would be the best lineman if healthy. The line was 10th in pass block win rate and 1st in yards created for the RB before contact. And that was going against the 49ers, Rams, and Seattle 6x. Plus adding Gilbert to replace our weakest position, RT, should make us better. Obviously that is more hopeful than anything given his injury history. 

The line this year shouldn't be an issue and could he a strength if healthy. Same with WRs. The pick should be about the future. And with Larry prop retiring after this year the WRs are questionable, especially for a team that plays the most WRs in the NFL. 

Having a RT of the future would be awesome. But so would having a #2 WR of the future. And we already have a young RT, Murray who was in his 1st year playing, be good enough for our line to be good enough. That's also with a rookie QB who had pretty bad pocket movement/awareness. So if both Murrays get a little better that could go a long way. 

Our offense was already good enough last year (7th in weighted DVOA, 13th on the year) to win gms with that oline. And we had a rookie HC, rookie QB, and pretty bad WRs with Kirk being in and out of the lineup and really no decent #3. So you add two awesome WRs to that plus Kyler getting better and you have the potential for a top offense. 

32 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

We just paid our LT of the future this offseason. And have 4 of our 5 starters back, plus Gilbert who would be the best lineman if healthy. The line was 10th in pass block win rate and 1st in yards created for the RB before contact. And that was going against the 49ers, Rams, and Seattle 6x. Plus adding Gilbert to replace our weakest position, RT, should make us better. Obviously that is more hopeful than anything given his injury history. 

The line this year shouldn't be an issue and could he a strength if healthy. Same with WRs. The pick should be about the future. And with Larry prop retiring after this year the WRs are questionable, especially for a team that plays the most WRs in the NFL. 

Having a RT of the future would be awesome. But so would having a #2 WR of the future. And we already have a young RT, Murray who was in his 1st year playing, be good enough for our line to be good enough. That's also with a rookie QB who had pretty bad pocket movement/awareness. So if both Murrays get a little better that could go a long way. 

Our offense was already good enough last year (7th in weighted DVOA, 13th on the year) to win gms with that oline. And we had a rookie HC, rookie QB, and pretty bad WRs with Kirk being in and out of the lineup and really no decent #3. So you add two awesome WRs to that plus Kyler getting better and you have the potential for a top offense. 

TBH, I don't see how y'all don't go defense in the 1st.