How many WR1's are in the NFL? And how important is it?

BayRaider

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Two WR2s. Im of the opinion receivers and backs are two of the least important positions on the field. Spend the money building a defense and a strong offensive line. Having quality QB play is implied; you're not getting anywhere without it. 

In short: think of the team SF built this year. No issues scoring points or moving the ball without a true WR1

Exactly. WR for me is the least important position in the NFL only ahead of SLB. You still need a couple Normal Tier WR2’s to win a championship, but nothing luxurious. 

WR is a secondary position. You don't need to have a # 1 WR to win. Dominate QB and OL wins. You just need good/ serviceable WRs.  Don't  believe me, take a look at the Pats history from 2001.  Most of you could not name more than 3/4 WR during the Pats historical run. No peeking!

Best example,  WR are secondary  Cleveland Browns .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Hilton was originally in my Upper Tier WR2 and I edited it. He was very average last year even before the injury. That’s the issue with guys that are primarily more speed than size. They lose their explosiveness much quicker. 

He was actually played injured before he got another injury. For me, he being a proven commodity and having a very good 2018, I put the beginning of 2019 on playing with Brissett, a qb who doesn't want to throw downfield to save his life. I personally think you are wrong about him but that' ok. 

Not convinced Juju is a true number 1, but he had terrible QB play last year.

We will find out for sure this year if Ben stays healthy.

I think Dionte Johnson will emerge as a number 1 or high end 2 this year if he continues progressing like he was towards the end of 2019.

12 hours ago, m haynes said:

WR is a secondary position. You don't need to have a # 1 WR to win. Dominate QB and OL wins. You just need good/ serviceable WRs.  Don't  believe me, take a look at the Pats history from 2001.  Most of you could not name more than 3/4 WR during the Pats historical run. No peeking!

I dont disagree necessarily, but most teams dont have the GOAT head coach and QB on the same team for 2 decades.   

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, BayRaider said:

Adams is not the greatest separator by any means and has had a Top 2-3 QB in the league throwing in very tight-accurate windows. Adams is a solid WR. I don’t see him as a WR1. He’ll get shut down by most Top Corners. 

When Rodgers was out for 6 weeks in 2017 with a broken collarbone Adams had 54 receptions, 10 TDs and 543 yards in 6 games with Hundley throwing him the rock.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, m haynes said:

Last year all we had was Adams.  The rest of our WRs were JAGs.  Our second best was an UDFA.  Yes, WR isn't a top priority but you need more than just one good one.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Easy gentlemen, it’s just an opinion. Acting like it’s a VanS take :o

So lost on the Adams ranking, the original point of the thread got diminished. How important is a WR1? Would you rather have two WR2’s and more resources for defense? 

It is though.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Last year all we had was Adams.  The rest of our WRs were JAGs.  Our second best was an UDFA.  Yes, WR isn't a top priority but you need more than just one good one.

Its the # 1 WR that your don't need. You have one by the draft that fine however I'm not picking one if my QB and OL stink. That's why they are secondary IMO.   I don't consider Edelman as #1 WR . He's the Pats #1 however he not in the Beckem, Jones level. Brings me back to my point. Who were the other WRs for the Pats in the last two SB.  I'm  a Pats fan and I can only come up with just one, Hogan.

When the Packers picked Adams they were in a position to do so. Great QB and OL. I see Adams as a really good WR not a # 1. This is not a put down I'd love him on my team but he like Edelman #1 for your team.

I'm not following the other teams closely however the teams that stink and don't have a LT and take a WR they are nuts IMO. EX Just an example  Jets take Jerry Jeudy with there 1st pick.

Pats fan  I'm laughing again at the Jets. Idiots!!!! Now if the take LT, I like damn they just got better.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Its the # 1 WR that your don't need. You have one by the draft that fine however I'm not picking one if my QB and OL stink. That's why they are secondary IMO.   I don't consider Edelman as #1 WR . He's the Pats #1 however he not in the Beckem, Jones level. Brings me back to my point. Who were the other WRs for the Pats in the last two SB.  I'm  a Pats fan and I can only come up with just one, Hogan.

When the Packers picked Adams they were in a position to do so. Great QB and OL. I see Adams as a really good WR not a # 1. This is not a put down I'd love him on my team but he like Edelman #1 for your team.

I'm not following the other teams closely however the teams that stink and don't have a LT and take a WR they are nuts IMO. EX Just an example  Jets take Jerry Jeudy with there 1st pick.

Pats fan  I'm laughing again at the Jets. Idiots!!!! Now if the take LT, I like damn they just got better.

This guy gets it.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:41 AM, Malfatron said:

There are 32 number 1 WRs in the NFL at any given point.

And the importance depends on how good your particular number 1 WR is

Bingo. If you have an elite one, then your offense will operate through them.