Bears sign OLB Barkevious Mingo

WindyCity

Linebacker Barkevious Mingo has played for five teams the past five seasons, and he just agreed to terms with a different team than the previous five.

Mingo will sign a one-year, $1.187 million deal with the Bears, with $887,000 fully guaranteed, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

The Texans had interest in keeping Mingo and made an offer, Wilson adds, but Mingo opted to go to Chicago.

Mingo, 29, spent his first three seasons in Cleveland after the Browns made him the sixth overall choice. He then went to New England in 2016, Indianapolis in 2017, Seattle in 2018 and Houston last season.

Mingo appeared in 16 games but made only one start in 2019. He saw action on 73 defensive snaps and 318 on special teams.

In his seven seasons, Mingo has 220 tackles, 10 sacks, 14 pass breakups, an interception and five forced fumbles.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MingBa00.htm

Mingo is the guy Floyd reminded me most of when we drafted him.  He's another former top ten draft pick very similar to Floyd in both size and college production who has never been a productive pass rusher as a pro.  He's cheap depth and versatility at OLB but even less than Floyd was as a dependable pass rusher.  Mark down OLB as another position we need to draft more frequently in the near future.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

This is the first tweet in a decent thread about what Mingo will bring. He's going to be a key special teamer (KPL and Kwit leaving meant we needed that) and can play some on defense. Lynch played 23% of the snaps on defense last season so that's all Mingo has to do too, guessing he'll do some of the coverage things at OLB that they used to ask Floyd to do. This signing makes sense.

Also saw on Twitter that Lynch last season had seven flags and six tackles... That's the definition of doing less than nothing, that's being detrimental.

• Like 1

Lynch never played ST so I'd call Mingo and upgrade over him and for less money as well.

As usual we knew we'd have to find some vet FA help at OLB just as we have the past two years.  Be nice if we spent some draft picks on a few OLBs over the next two years hoping to find some help of our own.  Not an easy position to fill but we have to keep trying or we're gonna be stuck forever spending big on other peoples draftees.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Don’t think he is worse than Lynch or Irving so there is that.

The Texans had interest in keeping Mingo and made an offer   - there is that too.  Always a good sign.

This is my point as well. Lynch's corpse was paid $1.5 and Mingo is a slight upgrade at the minimum from him. His ST ability is big too, just increases the value for the deal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Really solid depth move...take away the Graham signing which was pure desperation and Pace is making some nice moves here.

Indeed. This is why I wasn't afraid of losing the depth pieces we lost to other teams so far. Pace is good at filling those roles. Ideally I'd like to get a linebacker in here to replace KPL. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

36 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This is my point as well. Lynch's corpse was paid $1.5 and Mingo is a slight upgrade at the minimum from him. His ST ability is big too, just increases the value for the deal. 

I'm not sure Mingo is an upgrade over Lynch as a defender. He's a special teams guy only IMO - played only 7% of Houston's defensive snaps last season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm not sure Mingo is an upgrade over Lynch as a defender. He's a special teams guy only IMO - played only 7% of Houston's defensive snaps last season.

But with both Indy and Seattle he played more significant snaps on defense starting 20 of 32 games during 2017-2018 and also with Cleveland his first three years so I wouldn't say he's ST only.  It was Houston who didn't use him much on defense.  Others have.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MingBa00.htm

8 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

He seems to be more of the speed rushing type. If he could add more power to his game he could take his ability to the next level.

Same deal is Floyd.  He's a 6'5 " 235lb OLB who can't turn speed into power.  This is his 8th year in the NFL so he's all he ever will be.