Bears sign OLB Barkevious Mingo

WindyCity

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

But with both Indy and Seattle he played more significant snaps on defense starting 20 of 32 games during 2017-2018 and also with Cleveland his first three years so I wouldn't say he's ST only.  It was Houston who didn't use him much on defense.  Others have.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MingBa00.htm

I think enough teams have tried to get something out of him and failed. Now organizations understand he's not a player who can contribute on defensive downs. I'm just pointing out that Lynch is younger and has value on defensive snaps while Mingo seems to have played his way into being a designated special teams player.

It's not a bad move but I don't view him as a replacement for Lynch. He's more of a replacement for KPL because of the ST value.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I think enough teams have tried to get something out of him and failed. Now organizations understand he's not a player who can contribute on defensive downs. I'm just pointing out that Lynch is younger and has value on defensive snaps while Mingo seems to have played his way into being a designated special teams player.

It's not a bad move but I don't view him as a replacement for Lynch. He's more of a replacement for KPL because of the ST value.

I don't believe we signed him only for his ST value.  Not with as little depth as we have at OLB.  He played in all 16 games for both Indy (2017) and Seattle (2018) where his run defense stats are pretty much on par with Floyd's.  Houston didn't play him on defense as much but they did make him an offer to return and they also seem to employ bigger ILBs just like we do.  He wasn't gonna play ahead of a Whitney Mercillus.

Quinn doesn't offer much if anything in coverage and he's not a run stuffer.  Like Floyd, Mingo has never become a top shelf pass rusher but his stats tell us that he can play the run and create an occasional big play.  We talkin' about a guy whose only gonna play a few series per game and maybe 20%-25% of all defensive snaps so as long as he can set an edge and occasionally bring some pass rush pressure that about all we can expect from him.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, abstract_thought said:

Does Lynch even play special teams?  And his defensive value is minimal.  He is sloooooow.