Trade idea! Thoughts?

Wolzen

13 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would be equally pleased with any of the top 3 WR's. I think they are all studs with middle tier WR2 floors, which is a VERY high floor. 

Crazy part is Denver may have to trade up to get one of the top 3 or to at least assure themselves of getting one of them.  NYJ, LV, and SF all have glaring WR needs, as do a number of teams in this draft who could be looking to move up.

Yes this is a deep WR class, but again there are WR needy teams everywhere and 15 now all of a sudden looks like no mans land for a WR.  The top 3 could be gone and now you’re in a spot of reaching for the next group of wideouts.  Could trade back or wait until the 2nd round, but again with so many teams needing wideouts it doesn’t mean Denver gets their guy.

I hate that Elway seems to do this every year, but if Denver doesn’t at least go out and get a competent #2 (hell even if it’s a competent slot WR) they almost have to trade up to assure getting one of these top 3 WRs.  

I hate that Elway seems to do this every year, but if Denver doesn’t at least go out and get a competent #2 (hell even if it’s a competent slot WR) they almost have to trade up to assure getting one of these top 3 WRs.  

Ya, I really dislike that he doesn't do more before the draft to find competent stopgaps to avoid reaches. We could shore up the team to target BPA in a much better way by targeting one year deals on low cost JAG's that are playable if needed. Say DB Ross Crockwell 1Y/3M + WR Rashard Higgins 1Y/2M + DL Jack Crawford 1Y/3M. Those guys are JAG's, but good enough to start if needed. That way if we want a WR R1 but the value isn't there, we can wait until R2/R3 and have Higgins as insurance should the WR taken not adapt to the NFL quickly enough to be a immediate WR2. Same thinking with Crockwell and Crawford. 

The stopgaps don't need to be long term pieces, but the value they add is in allowing us to lean more BPA while giving passable play for a season. 

Every GM in the league does what John Elway does Howie Roseman has a gaping hole at wr in Philly and fans on sports talk radio are saying the same thing. 

Signing Jag players as stop gaps is a big mistake it's better to have rookies take their lumps than having a Jag unrerachieve in the same position.

This offense is gonna look extremely dangerous once the draft is over.

Lock, Gordon, Lindsay, Fant, Sutton, Ruggs?

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Every GM in the league does what John Elway does Howie Roseman has a gaping hole at wr in Philly and fans on sports talk radio are saying the same thing. 

Signing Jag players as stop gaps is a big mistake it's better to have rookies take their lumps than having a Jag unrerachieve in the same position.

This offense is gonna look extremely dangerous once the draft is over.

Lock, Gordon, Lindsay, Fant, Sutton, Ruggs?

Signing a guy on a one year deal can't really be a big mistake. It's just insurance.

I actually think the likelihood of a first round receiver being an instant impact guy is low despite this fantastic class. 

Signing a guy on a one year deal can't really be a big mistake. It's just insurance.

I actually think the likelihood of a first round receiver being an instant impact guy is low despite this fantastic class. 

Exactly. 

As it stands, with no stopgap JAG FA moves, we are going into 2020 with the foolish idea that like 5 rookies can be rotation contributors. To my abilities the below are currently issues spots:

WR - Full Time Starter Needed

DL - 2 Rotation Players Needed - 30-50% snap caliber guys

CB - Full Time Starter Needed - Relying on Bausby is insanity

S - Swing Backup Needed - Sub package replacement for Parks (He has played 50% percent of snaps since his sophomore year)

So we are looking to fill 5 starter or high usage rotation roles in the draft. Then we can speak on depth like OL and coverage LB. 

Its a unrealistically high expectation to come out of the draft with the above. 

25 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Exactly. 

As it stands, with no stopgap JAG FA moves, we are going into 2020 with the foolish idea that like 5 rookies can be rotation contributors. To my abilities the below are currently issues spots:

WR - Full Time Starter Needed

DL - 2 Rotation Players Needed - 30-50% snap caliber guys

CB - Full Time Starter Needed - Relying on Bausby is insanity

S - Swing Backup Needed - Sub package replacement for Parks (He has played 50% percent of snaps since his sophomore year)

So we are looking to fill 5 starter or high usage rotation roles in the draft. Then we can speak on depth like OL and coverage LB. 

Its a unrealistically high expectation to come out of the draft with the above. 

Mase on their pod did say the Broncos are high on Dawson/D Harris......gonna be pretty wild if they go into the season with the current cornerback crew but seems possible at this point

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Well that's just silly. 

Maybe not ideal, but why is it silly ? I though Harris was coming on towards the end of last season and Dawson was a 2nd rounder (I thought he'd go a bit later than that) so to think/hope they may take the next step isn't absurd IMO. 

25 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Maybe not ideal, but why is it silly ? I though Harris was coming on towards the end of last season and Dawson was a 2nd rounder (I thought he'd go a bit later than that) so to think/hope they may take the next step isn't absurd IMO. 

Maybe not but it is pretty risky if Elway is planning on competing this year.

DEN will have to score 40+ to have a shot at the Chiefs with this DB crew I think.

But it feels like there’s some hesitation in the front office, whether that’s a money issue or holding their breath to see if Lock is the real deal and loading up in 2021?

• Like 1