Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

Random Thoughts - Quarantine Edition

Recommended Posts

Okay maybe we should give Pace a little credit for remaking the roster:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting on the crapper and had this thought:

A major need not being talking about for Bears is another huge body DL.

We have Hicks, Nichols and Goldman.  Really good DL if healthy.  If healthy is the key.   They need a rotation to stay healthy.

But Dan we have Roy Robertson.  Roy is a good athlete but he doesn’t take up space or eat blocks.  He is nice to have, but relatively slim and eating blocks is not his game. 

Our ILBs are small (Smith) and small and injury prone (Trevathan).  They need to be protected to make plays and stay healthy.  

Basically if you don’t get another mammoth block eater you could fall into an injury spiral across front line.

One idea is Snacks is out there with no one interested probably because of price and fact that he stunk last year.  If you can ascertain if he is motivated and get him for cheap that could potentially keep a lot of guys healthy including Snacks.   One reason why Snacks may have stunk last year is over use.  Big guys wear out fast and can be injury prove if fatigued.  

But it doesn’t have to be Snacks.  We just need a mammoth DL who can’t be moved off his spot and who is really hard to get off to next level of defense.   

PFF says you don’t want run stuffing DL because passing game is what matters.  Theoretically that is true, but they aren’t factoring in injury spirals discussed above and how a plethora of big men help prevent that and can also help speedy ILBs make plays in passing game and run game.

You drafted Roquan Smith in top 10.  He can’t be who he is unless he is properly protected up front from big bodies.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sitting on the crapper and had this thought:

A major need not being talking about for Bears is another huge body DL.

We have Hicks, Nichols and Goldman.  Really good DL if healthy.  If healthy is the key.   They need a rotation to stay healthy.

But Dan we have Roy Robertson.  Roy is a good athlete but he doesn’t take up space or eat blocks.  He is nice to have, but relatively slim and eating blocks is not his game. 

Our ILBs are small (Smith) and small and injury prone (Trevathan).  They need to be protected to make plays and stay healthy.  

Basically if you don’t get another mammoth block eater you could fall into an injury spiral across front line.

One idea is Snacks is out there with no one interested probably because of price and fact that he stunk last year.  If you can ascertain if he is motivated and get him for cheap that could potentially keep a lot of guys healthy including Snacks.   One reason why Snacks may have stunk last year is over use.  Big guys wear out fast and can be injury prove if fatigued.  

But it doesn’t have to be Snacks.  We just need a mammoth DL who can’t be moved off his spot and who is really hard to get off to next level of defense.   

PFF says you don’t want run stuffing DL because passing game is what matters.  Theoretically that is true, but they aren’t factoring in injury spirals discussed above and how a plethora of big men help prevent that and can also help speedy ILBs make plays in passing game and run game.

You drafted Roquan Smith in top 10.  He can’t be who he is unless he is properly protected up front from big bodies.  

 

 

I said this earlier in the offseason and posters here got on me. When Hicks went down, that's when things clearly tailed off defensively. If they're that reliant on a good DE, that should be a bigger need than we make it out to be. I think everyone's assuming Nichols progresses, but he didn't last year (yeah I know, he hurt his hand, and then the hand was fine by week 8 and he still did nothing). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So go looking for a big body DL in the draft or an UDFA or sign a street FA like we did with Williams.  I don't deny the importance but one trick pony run stuffing "block eaters" aren't that tough to find.  Don't spend money on a used up vet whose in his decline phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulman said:

So go looking for a big body DL in the draft or an UDFA or sign a street FA like we did with Williams.  I don't deny the importance but one trick pony run stuffing "block eaters" aren't that tough to find.  Don't spend money on a used up vet whose in his decline phase.

Point is they need at least one to be successful.   You are right they are relatively easy to find as opposed to say an OT or a corner or pass rusher.  

  Pace has to figure out how he is going to get one and get one.  I think Abdullah Anderson is an okay player, but not what I am looking for to protect our playmakers.

I think odds Goldman and Hicks make it through season unhurt are pretty low.  And like @beardown3231 pointed out defense looks really different without just Hicks.   

 

 

Edited by dll2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Point is they need at least one to be successful.   You are right they are relatively easy to find as opposed to say an OT or a corner or pass rusher.  

  Pace has to figure out how he is going to get one and get one.  I think Abdullah Anderson is an okay player, but not what I am looking for to protect our playmakers.

I think odds Goldman and Hicks make it through season unhurt are pretty low.  And like @beardown3231 pointed out defense looks really different without just Hicks.   

 

 

No matter who we find he won't be able to replace Hicks.  He's very unique talent. As good of a season as Nick Williams had even he couldn't come close to what Hicks offers.  Akeim is a monster inside guy.  Our best bet is to hope he can stay healthy throughout.

Ideally I think you'd like to see another DT/NT whose a little bigger than Abdullah Anderson but from what I've seen he's quick and he's strong albeit maybe a bit more of a 3 tech type DT than a pure 1 Tech NT and he came in as an UDFA so there's a good chance we can find others out there to compete with him for his spot and to replace Williams.  It's not our biggest concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulman said:

No matter who we find he won't be able to replace Hicks.  He's very unique talent. As good of a season as Nick Williams had even he couldn't come close to what Hicks offers.  Akeim is a monster inside guy.  Our best bet is to hope he can stay healthy throughout.

Ideally I think you'd like to see another DT/NT whose a little bigger than Abdullah Anderson but from what I've seen he's quick and he's strong albeit maybe a bit more of a 3 tech type DT than a pure 1 Tech NT and he came in as an UDFA so there's a good chance we can find others out there to compete with him for his spot and to replace Williams.  It's not our biggest concern.

I don't think anyone's arguing that "it's the biggest concern" but I certainly think it is a concern and frankly there is almost no one thinking it is a concern *at all* because, I guess, Bilal Nichols had a decent rookie year for a 5th rounder and now all of a sudden he's going to be the missing piece 2 years later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think anyone's arguing that "it's the biggest concern" but I certainly think it is a concern and frankly there is almost no one thinking it is a concern *at all* because, I guess, Bilal Nichols had a decent rookie year for a 5th rounder and now all of a sudden he's going to be the missing piece 2 years later.

I pretty much covered my thinking in that first sentence.  No one I can think of can replace a 100% healthy Akiem Hicks in this defense.

You posted that when Hick went out things tailed off defensively and my only point is that will happen again if Hicks is hurt no matter who we have backing him up.  We really couldn't have asked for more from Nick Wiliams last year but he couldn't do what Hicks can.

I'm not implying we shouldn't look for DL help only that it's not a priority and that Pace would probably address something like that later on in the draft or bring in some UDFAs.  Nichols will probably bounce back from his injury but he can't dominate like Hicks can either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×