Jump to content
dtait93

Panthers sign MVPJ Walker

Recommended Posts

I'm actually bummed he didnt sign with a team where he had a better shot to start. 

The XFL takes a hit here too. He could have been a face of the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm actually bummed he didnt sign with a team where he had a better shot to start. 

The XFL takes a hit here too. He could have been a face of the franchise.

Its Teddy Bridgewater. Outside of say Cincy, Mia and SD who are All probably taking one of the Big 3 in the Draft this is most likely his best opportunity to beat somebody out. Name another team? Let's be real.

See it now. From Cam to Teddy to PJ in less then a year!🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget starting - you’d think he’d go somewhere that might have an opening in the QB room. Bridgewater, Allen, and Grier already  make it crowded. And Cam still has yet to be officially moved. 

There’s really only two options that would give him a shot at starting, barring injury. That’s Miami and Jacksonville. Fitzpatrick would have to go full Fitzpatrick and Minshew would actually have to regress. He’s probably a backup virtually everywhere else, so I’d have went to a team where I could at least be the bonafide second guy. If not that, a place where the starter isn’t a sure thing (which admittedly is the case in Carolina). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Forget starting - you’d think he’d go somewhere that might have an opening in the QB room. Bridgewater, Allen, and Grier already  make it crowded. And Cam still has yet to be officially moved. 

There’s really only two options that would give him a shot at starting, barring injury. That’s Miami and Jacksonville. Fitzpatrick would have to go full Fitzpatrick and Minshew would actually have to regress. He’s probably a backup virtually everywhere else, so I’d have went to a team where I could at least be the bonafide second guy. If not that, a place where the starter isn’t a sure thing (which admittedly is the case in Carolina). 

Allen got traded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Allen got traded 

Just saw, certainly clears things up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

He'll beat Kyle Allen out of the building...

You, my friend, are a wizard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, the next three most likely guys to end up in the NFL would have to be Donald Parham, Kenny Robinson, and Cam Phillips.

Phillips was actually a stud in college and did well in the NFL pre-season. The reason he hasn't had traction in the NFL so far? There were questions about his deep game and he ran a 4.8 unofficial forty. I think it was a 4.79 official. And not having that pedigree is HUGE in the NFL.

We'd like to think otherwise, but GMs usually dedicate those last few positions on the depth chart to guys who were higher investments, not necessarily whoever played the best, especially at a position like WR where you have five, six, seven of them on the roster. I mean, we've seen this with the Redskins WRs in the past, we've seen this with the Rams WRs under Fisher, we've seen this with the Bears and Bucs, etc. Anyways, Phillips played well. He wasn't an elite off-season star, but he was good for the Bills.

He's obviously worked hard and refined his game. His blocking, effort, toughness through contact, and deep ball ability were all exceptional in the XFL. It just so happens that those were exactly what his listed weaknesses were in several of his Draft Profiles. This dude can be a GOOD WR in the XFL.

Donald Parham is a freak of nature. This dude dominated defenses from the get-go in the XFL... And to top it off, he ran faster than Terry McLaurin on a deep touchdown! This guy can hit well over 21 miles per hour at 6'8", 240. Is he a true TE? No. He's a glorified slot WR, and probably should play in the slot full-time in the NFL. But dang. That's a FREAKY mismatch. 

Kenny Robinson was the best player on arguably the best defense in the XFL, and he will likely be drafted early on day 3, as he's draft-eligible this year. He really played excellent football with Will Hill, and those two locked down deep passing games. He was physical as a tackler, matched up well in coverage, and had a real nose for the football. He can get overeager at times, but he's probably a day 2 draft prospect if he stays in school and gets the hype of D-1 football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Allen got traded 

For what a Box of Bon Bons, 2 Juicy Fruits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

For what a Box of Bon Bons, 2 Juicy Fruits?

5th round pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nabbs4u said:
50 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Allen got traded 

For what a Box of Bon Bons, 2 Juicy Fruits?

Oh God, that's even more priceless! Hail to the Redskins Dan Synder and I'm guessing Ron Rivera! 🍺. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was holding out hope he'd end up in Seattle with a clear-line to the backup job behind Russ, but obviously that gives him little to no chance at seeing meaningful snaps. 

Now he goes to an offense he's somewhat familiar with in Rhule behind an injury-susceptible Bridgewater and a guy in Grier who the new staff clearly is not faithful to. Happy for him. Hope he somehow gets an opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm actually very excited for PJ. I don't know if he beats out Bridgewater, but I'm just happy he's moving up to the next level.

You think any other XFL guys going to get a shot? Shawn Oakman, Jordan Ta'amu, Cam Phillips and Cardale Jones looked great at times, you'd have to think someone would take a flyer on a guy...

Austin Proehl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Okay, the next three most likely guys to end up in the NFL would have to be Donald Parham, Kenny Robinson, and Cam Phillips.

Phillips was actually a stud in college and did well in the NFL pre-season. The reason he hasn't had traction in the NFL so far? There were questions about his deep game and he ran a 4.8 unofficial forty. I think it was a 4.79 official. And not having that pedigree is HUGE in the NFL.

We'd like to think otherwise, but GMs usually dedicate those last few positions on the depth chart to guys who were higher investments, not necessarily whoever played the best, especially at a position like WR where you have five, six, seven of them on the roster. I mean, we've seen this with the Redskins WRs in the past, we've seen this with the Rams WRs under Fisher, we've seen this with the Bears and Bucs, etc. Anyways, Phillips played well. He wasn't an elite off-season star, but he was good for the Bills.

He's obviously worked hard and refined his game. His blocking, effort, toughness through contact, and deep ball ability were all exceptional in the XFL. It just so happens that those were exactly what his listed weaknesses were in several of his Draft Profiles. This dude can be a GOOD WR in the XFL.

Donald Parham is a freak of nature. This dude dominated defenses from the get-go in the XFL... And to top it off, he ran faster than Terry McLaurin on a deep touchdown! This guy can hit well over 21 miles per hour at 6'8", 240. Is he a true TE? No. He's a glorified slot WR, and probably should play in the slot full-time in the NFL. But dang. That's a FREAKY mismatch. 

Kenny Robinson was the best player on arguably the best defense in the XFL, and he will likely be drafted early on day 3, as he's draft-eligible this year. He really played excellent football with Will Hill, and those two locked down deep passing games. He was physical as a tackler, matched up well in coverage, and had a real nose for the football. He can get overeager at times, but he's probably a day 2 draft prospect if he stays in school and gets the hype of D-1 football.

Those are the players I think will have a shot to crack a roster.

Cam Phillips was an almost flawless, technically sound prospect and lock to be drafted until he ran a dreaded 4.8 forty. That said, he was working back from groin surgery and was clearly far from 100%. Ran in the 4.5s later but couldn't save his draft stock anymore. He reminds me of Tyler Johnson of this year's draft class. No reason he can't be a decent #4 WR or even #3 if he finds a good fit.

Parham is really exciting, but those lengthy TE prospects that are basically oversized WRs rarely pan out. If he moves to WR, he is too slow in and out of his brakes. At TE he won't hold up physically. He absolutely dominated XFL opposition, although the horizontally spread Air Raid offense created very favorable matchups for him. His length is impressive though and best case he could earn a very RZ specific role like Fauria with the Lions. Fauria had 8 TDs on just 24 career receptions in basically one full season before a mystery incident all but ended his NFL career.

I'm very high on Kenny Robinson. Seems that he gets totally overlooked in the draft process. Hence many draftniks don't even know about him. I had a 2nd round grade on him and his play in the XFL confirmed my grade. He is a playmaker with natural instincts and a true ballhawk. It will be great for the XFL to have a player drafted into the NFL. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if he got 1st round consideration had he been eligible for another season at WVU. As you said he will probably end up a day 3 pick, but what a steal for whichever team picks him!

About PJ Walker. I don't know if he can translate his XFL success to the NFL. He flamed out quickly with the Colts. Maybe it has clicked and slowed down from him. Without the XFL he probably never gets another crack at making a NFL roster. Now he is imo the odds favorite to back up Teddy in Carolina. Incredible success story for the XFL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fullback said:

Those are the players I think will have a shot to crack a roster.

Cam Phillips was an almost flawless, technically sound prospect and lock to be drafted until he ran a dreaded 4.8 forty. That said, he was working back from groin surgery and was clearly far from 100%. Ran in the 4.5s later but couldn't save his draft stock anymore. He reminds me of Tyler Johnson of this year's draft class. No reason he can't be a decent #4 WR or even #3 if he finds a good fit.

Parham is really exciting, but those lengthy TE prospects that are basically oversized WRs rarely pan out. If he moves to WR, he is too slow in and out of his brakes. At TE he won't hold up physically. He absolutely dominated XFL opposition, although the horizontally spread Air Raid offense created very favorable matchups for him. His length is impressive though and best case he could earn a very RZ specific role like Fauria with the Lions. Fauria had 8 TDs on just 24 career receptions in basically one full season before a mystery incident all but ended his NFL career.

I'm very high on Kenny Robinson. Seems that he gets totally overlooked in the draft process. Hence many draftniks don't even know about him. I had a 2nd round grade on him and his play in the XFL confirmed my grade. He is a playmaker with natural instincts and a true ballhawk. It will be great for the XFL to have a player drafted into the NFL. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if he got 1st round consideration had he been eligible for another season at WVU. As you said he will probably end up a day 3 pick, but what a steal for whichever team picks him!

About PJ Walker. I don't know if he can translate his XFL success to the NFL. He flamed out quickly with the Colts. Maybe it has clicked and slowed down from him. Without the XFL he probably never gets another crack at making a NFL roster. Now he is imo the odds favorite to back up Teddy in Carolina. Incredible success story for the XFL!

 

Well I wouldn't say he flamed out "quickly" with the colts. Three years in a row he was signed by them but couldn't beat out the guys they had in the room already.....which doesn't say much considering those guys were Luck and Brissett. They obviously liked what they saw to keep bringing him back and putting him on the practice squad. That's what doesn't make his play surprising to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×