Predict the surprise cuts

pwny

Across the NFL, every year teams surprisingly let go of players that not only seemed like they would make the roster, but often times appeared to be locks for a starting position.

Do we have any of those on our roster this year? And if so, who are they?

I get the feeling Poz isn't going to make it at SLB, but I'm not sure we have someone who would be good enough to supplant him. Not really buying the likes of Blair Brown being a starter.

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think we might be able to trade Poz if it comes to that.

Dante Fowler Jr. definitely has to be in the discussion at this point.

I'd be awfully surprised to see a 1st rd pick with one year of player be cut...but this is a new regime and he's made some stupid decisions so I guess it's possible. Just not sure with our edge rush situation it'd be smart to cut anyone that is young with some sort of upside.

If Fowler wasn't a first round pick, he'd be gone. But because of his draft stock, they're going to be troubled by his actions and give him another chance. Hopefully he figures out his life and becomes productive for us somehow.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I agree with that sentiment... but Coughlin has a pretty prominent role and he was quick to get rid of Soward.

He didn't get rid of Soward tho. If Soward was reinstated today, he would still have a contract with the Jags. 

35 minutes ago, iPwn said:
36 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I agree with that sentiment... but Coughlin has a pretty prominent role and he was quick to get rid of Soward.

He didn't get rid of Soward tho. If Soward was reinstated today, he would still have a contract with the Jags. 

You are right. I knew that too. It has been a long month.

And Dave's statement on Dede kinda makes it seem like they're willing to turn a blind eye to stuff when it benefits the team. Can't say I'm happy with that, but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, iPwn said:

And Dave's statement on Dede kinda makes it seem like they're willing to turn a blind eye to stuff when it benefits the team. Can't say I'm happy with that, but it is what it is.

I think with Dede, it also helps that he has stayed out of trouble since then and has seemed remorseful.

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think with Dede, it also helps that he has stayed out of trouble since then and has seemed remorseful.

Was specifically referencing this

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Was specifically referencing this

Yeah, was not huge on that quote. Guess I just hope maybe they discovered something that the public doesn't know? IDK, these guys just talk to SOOO many different people and dig so deep into these guys chldhood and all the things that he has been involved with. But I have no idea why Caldwell would say something like that as it just looks bad.

My stance then and now was that it was just a poor way of saying that accusations do not always hold weight.

I will say this: Domestic abuse has to be treated seriously. I do believe in second chances though. For the main three to have those concerns the past couple of years (Tyreek Hill, Joe Mixon, and Dede Westbrook), I am willing to give that to them. I hope they all stay clean and are not violent toward anyone heading forward. If they do not do that, then they deserve to get hit hard both by the NFL and the law.

14 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

My stance then and now was that it was just a poor way of saying that accusations do not always hold weight

Even if said *correctly*, I still see that as a problematic stance for an organization to take. The NFL has a big domestic violence issue, and continuing to perpetuate the same tropes that make it hard for victims to come forward doesn't help matters at all.

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:
28 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

My stance then and now was that it was just a poor way of saying that accusations do not always hold weight

Even if said *correctly*, I still see that as a problematic stance for an organization to take. The NFL has a big domestic violence issue, and continuing to perpetuate the same tropes that make it hard for victims to come forward doesn't help matters at all.

I get that. Domestic violence or sexual assault in general are sticky, because you don't want to create an atmosphere that prohibits victims from coming forward, but you always have to be wary about false accusations. It is hard to know the truth and I usually try to stay out of commenting because it is such a no-win situation and I don't want to seem insensitive to either side. Either way, regardless of what has happened with Dede in the past, the Jags organization definitely took a risk (as much of a risk as you can at that point in the draft) by taking a player who has had those accusations.

I think the difference with Fowler is that he has had documented recurring issues (actual arrests and citations, along with that video of him egging his girlfriend on), and has had them over the course of the past two years. I think heading forward that Fowler is probably on a short leash, though that leash could get longer if he performs well and doesn't do anything egregiously bad.

Archived