Kyle Allen Traded to the Redskins for 5th Round Pick

Skinsin2013

None of the backup QB options on the table via the draft have any sort of NFL starting experience.  Kyle Allen at least has two years in the current offensive system.  As I said in other threads, it would be a smart idea to get someone into the fold that's familiar with this offense, who could start in case the off-season program is truncated by Covid-19, so I think this is a pretty good deal all things considered.  The other option was giving Joe Flacco a contract similar to Keenum, and while he fits the archetype of a Coryell QB, he doesn't have the experience in the offense.  

Although considering my "Battered Fan Syndrome" I can easily see a situation playing out here similar to how things went with RGIII and Cousins, though this time changing the names to Haskins and Allen.  

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

None of the backup QB options on the table via the draft have any sort of NFL starting experience.  Kyle Allen at least has two years in the current offensive system.  As I said in other threads, it would be a smart idea to get someone into the fold that's familiar with this offense, who could start in case the off-season program is truncated by Covid-19, so I think this is a pretty good deal all things considered.  The other option was giving Joe Flacco a contract similar to Keenum, and while he fits the archetype of a Coryell QB, he doesn't have the experience in the offense.  

Although considering my "Battered Fan Syndrome" I can easily see a situation playing out here similar to how things went with RGIII and Cousins, though this time changing the names to Haskins and Allen.  

That will only become a thing if Haskins doesn't improve, bc Allen is back up quality, not the starting quality player than Cousins was/is.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ya but that means he only has 1 more cost controlled season left.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That will only become a thing if Haskins doesn't improve, bc Allen is back up quality, not the starting quality player than Cousins was/is.

Let’s play fair here. 

When Cousins was 23, he was a senior at Michigan State. Kyle Allen was in his second NFL season. In Cousins’s 2nd NFL season, he had a chance at the starting job and sucked so bad that he almost immediately lost it back to Colt McCoy and RGIII’s reanimated corpse. Kyle Allen takes a lot of heat for his INTs, but his INT rate was 3.3%. Cousins didn’t post an INT rate lower than 4.4% until his fourth NFL season. 

We know that Cousins became a good starting QB. But there was nothing in his play that suggests he was any better than Allen at this point in his career — in fact, Allen is clearly more advanced at his age than Cousins was. I don’t expect Allen to beat out Haskins long-term, but it’s certainly within the realm of reasonable possibility. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but that means he only has 1 more cost controlled season left.

Right, but there are also extenuating circumstances surrounding this off-season with Covid-19.  It's a pretty smart decision to add someone who spent two years in the offense at this point.  It's very likely that the NFL off-season workout program will be truncated or eliminated completely, so having someone to step in early and start while Haskins continues to learn the offense is key.  No one that the Redskins are adding with a fifth round pick at QB is bringing that to the table.  

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Let’s play fair here. 

When Cousins was 23, he was a senior at Michigan State. Kyle Allen was in his second NFL season. In Cousins’s 2nd NFL season, he had a chance at the starting job and sucked so bad that he almost immediately lost it back to Colt McCoy and RGIII’s reanimated corpse. Kyle Allen takes a lot of heat for his INTs, but his INT rate was 3.3%. Cousins didn’t post an INT rate lower than 4.4% until his fourth NFL season. 

We know that Cousins became a good starting QB. But there was nothing in his play that suggests he was any better than Allen at this point in his career — in fact, Allen is clearly more advanced at his age than Cousins was. I don’t expect Allen to beat out Haskins long-term, but it’s certainly within the realm of reasonable possibility. 

Great post.  Again, Battered Fan Syndrome here.  What's happened before will happen again.  

After thinking about it I'm ok with a 5th for a 24 year old QB with starting exp in the system we're going to run.

Think it looks to bad to me cause Kyle was most likely going to get Cut as odd man out in Carolina,so feel like we coulda gave up less or waited and did trade after draft since there no OTA for him to attend right now anyways.

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

Let’s play fair here. 

Not exactly but not point in arguing over ancient history. You have to break down the 2014 game logs to get a more accurate view of what kind of pace Cousins was on, and it would have blown away RG3 & Colt’s stats that season even if he would have had 15-20 ints.

It is true that Allen has flashed some too. I just don’t see the same arm potential in Allen. Cousins has a strong arm, once he lessened then ints then, he blossomed.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Not exactly but not point in arguing over ancient history. You have to break down the 2014 game logs to get a more accurate view of what kind of pace Cousins was on, and it would have blown away RG3 & Colt’s stats that season even if he would have had 15-20 ints.

It is true that Allen has flashed some too. I just don’t see the same arm potential in Allen. Cousins has a strong arm, once he lessened then ints then, he blossomed.

2014 was Cousins’s third season. 2013 was his second season, the one that was the equivalent of Allen last season, and he was horrible that year (58 passer rating). 

You're right, Cousins was pretty good despite the INTs in 2014. I think that’s when we (and you and I were probably more resistant than most to choosing to go with Cousins over RGIII) realized that maybe Cousins was onto something. But he was already a 26-year-old third year player by then, so I guess the point is that Allen (and Haskins of course) still have a lot of time to grow into that. 

Which is kind of exciting, when you think about it. Two very young guys with legit NFL arms who already have some meaningful experience being thrown into the fire of the NFL. On one hand, I don’t love the idea of Haskins being made to compete with someone who has a leg on him (already knowing the system), but then I remember that he beat out a pretty damn good QB the last time he was made to directly compete with a peer (at OSU), so I’m not as concerned. 

• Like 2