Redskins overpay a 5th rounder for Kyle Allen

MikeT14

Kyle Allen is awful. No pocket presence, can't read defenses, doesn't have a strong arm... he can run around and pad stats when the 1st read (CMC or DJ Moore) gets open though.

Glad he's off the roster and cannot believe we netted something in return. Rare good move by Hurney.

4 hours ago, bomont said:

He sucked in the latter half but early on he did well, esp for a rook thrown in the fire. It's unlikely he'll ever be great, and maybe he won't pan out, but he showed enough last year to take a flyer easily. 

I honestly think it's a good move, though a lot of Redskins fans don't see it.  Allen has two years of experience in this offense and started the majority of last season.  Any other QB who the Redskins might draft with that fifth pick won't have that experience, and Allen is still on a rookie deal.  This is going to be key because I imagine that Covid-19 is going to wreck havoc on the NFL's off-season schedule, and Haskins may not be ready while he learns his third offense in three years.  The free agent pool wasn't looking promising either, as Joe Flacco is the QB who looks to be the best fit for a Coryell-type offense, and he would cost much more money than Allen.  

It's a deal that, at first glance, it's easy to criticize the Redskins for, but when you pull back a couple layers, it makes a ton of sense and is a smart decision.  Although as I said in the Redskins forum, my Battered Fan Syndrome tells me this could play out as a RGIII/Cousins 2.0 scenario too.  

9 hours ago, bomont said:

lol @ overpay - good move by the Skins. Lose only a 5th rounder if he doesn't pan out (and really how much does he have to pan out for a 5th rounder?), if he gets back to early season form, a steal

It's an overpay there wasn't a single other team out there who would have paid a 5th or even a 6th for him. The skins received above market compensation and therefore it's an overpay 

Also, a 5th rounder holds more value because they have more time on their rookie contract than Allen does ..  plus there is the fact they could actually be good. Allen is known to be horrible. He might as well be a rookie 

• Like 1

A young QB that throws 17 TDs and 16 interceptions for a 5th round pick is equal value to me.  Not a good starting QB by any means.  He'd be a fine #3 anywhere and a fine emergency backup.  With starting experience, he at least adds something to the QB room assuming he's a #3.  No problem on either end to me. 

People have unrealistic expectations for backups, especially QBs.

Kyle Allen is not nearly as bad as some are making him out to be.     Sure, if youre looking at him as true starter, maybe, but as an undrafted backup in his 2nd year who was thrust into a bad situation,  he played fairly well.     Im not saying he will ever be a starter or even a great backup, but I wont be shocked if he does become a nice backup,   I think he would be better served behind a more experienced QB, but for an undrafted 24 year old QB, a late round pick isnt terrible value.     Most players picked that late struggle making the roster, and many QBs drafted late or undrafted never even see an active roster.     Not every undrafted QB can be future HOF QB Duck Hodges.  

And yes, the hate for Haskins is ridiculous too.

• Like 3

Kyle Allen was horrendous last season.  I'm not sure what people saw out of him that convinces them he played well.  

He started off decent, but he wasn't asked to do much.  The Cardinals game was by far his best performance of the 4 game stretch, but it is worth considering the Cardinals were a bottom five pass defense.  Still, I'll give him credit for the other three games in that period.

After that, he plummeted.  Over his next 9 games:

1-8 record, 60.7 CMP%, 10 TDs, 16 INTs, 71.1 QB Rating, 6.6 Y/A, 7 fumbles

Was it all on him?  Of course not, but once defenses figured out what the offense was doing he couldn't adjust.  First and foremost, he doesn't have the skill-set to make many throws.  He was the lowest rated deep passer in the NFL last year, and it wasn't because of a lack of deep threats around him.  Allen missed Samuel horribly far too many times last year - https://theriotreport.com/why-curtis-samuel-is-actually-having-a-great-2019/

So he can't make the throws to push the ball down the field.  Fair, but does he at least take care of the ball?  Nope.  7 lost fumbles (13 in total) and 16 interceptions in 13 games.  And while the offensive line wasn't the best last year either, he took far too many unnecessary sacks (also why he would fumble so much) and led the league in yards lost to sacks.

Yeah, he's young so maybe he gets better?  But I'm not seeing it.  He just doesn't have an NFL skill-set, so your best hope he starts to take care of the ball better.  But the combination of Rivera and Turner isn't something I would trust to bring that out of him.

It is a 5th round pick so whatever.  I won't go as far as to say the Redskins are dummies for it.  But I don't think people realize how bad Allen was last year.  He was easily the worst QB in the NFL after that 4 games stretch and the combination between him and our defense is why we finished 5-11 despite starting the season 5-3.  I'd rather have a backup who either A) I know can manage a game or B) has the skill-set to make plays every now and then.

Edited by iknowcool

41 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Kyle Allen was horrendous last season.  I'm not sure what people saw out of him that convinces them he played well.  

He started off decent, but he wasn't asked to do much.  The Cardinals game was by far his best performance of the 4 game stretch, but it is worth considering the Cardinals were a bottom five pass defense.  Still, I'll give him credit for the other three games in that period.

After that, he plummeted.  Over his next 9 games:

1-8 record, 60.7 CMP%, 10 TDs, 16 INTs, 71.1 QB Rating, 6.6 Y/A, 7 fumbles

Was it all on him?  Of course not, but once defenses figured out what the offense was doing he couldn't adjust.  First and foremost, he doesn't have the skill-set to make many throws.  He was the lowest rated deep passer in the NFL last year, and it wasn't because of a lack of deep threats around him.  Allen missed Samuel horribly far too many times last year - https://theriotreport.com/why-curtis-samuel-is-actually-having-a-great-2019/

So he can't make the throws to push the ball down the field.  Fair, but does he at least take care of the ball?  Nope.  7 lost fumbles (13 in total) and 16 interceptions in 13 games.  And while the offensive line wasn't the best last year either, he took far too many unnecessary sacks (also why he would fumble so much) and led the league in yards lost to sacks.

Yeah, he's young so maybe he gets better?  But I'm not seeing it.  He just doesn't have an NFL skill-set, so your best hope he starts to take care of the ball better.  But the combination of Rivera and Turner isn't something I would trust to bring that out of him.

It is a 5th round pick so whatever.  I won't go as far as to say the Redskins are dummies for it.  But I don't think people realize how bad Allen was last year.  He was easily the worst QB in the NFL after that 4 games stretch and the combination between him and our defense is why we finished 5-11 despite starting the season 5-3.  I'd rather have a backup who either A) I know can manage a game or B) has the skill-set to make plays every now and then.

They didn’t trade for him to play.  They traded for him to teach Haskins the playbook.  

30 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Wow, I come here for news, not an editorialized version of the truth.

Washington didnt overpay for Kyle Allen. They werent likely to get a better QB out of the gate than Kyle Allen with a 5th

I think getting a 5th for your 4th QB on the roster was a pretty good return for the Panthers.