Pats Release K Stephen Gostkowski

Soko

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Well I started saying this about two or three years ago so...

Even still, to compare Gostkowski to Vinatieri, no less declare him more clutch, is ridiculous.

He doesn't have the iconic kicks, but he was comparably accurate under pressure. Vinatieri's status is built on everyone remembering his makes and forgetting his misses. For example, everyone forgets that the only reason he was in the position to make game-winner against Carolina was that he'd missed two very makable kicks in the first half.

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

He doesn't have the iconic kicks, but he was comparably accurate under pressure. Vinatieri's status is built on everyone remembering his makes and forgetting his misses. For example, everyone forgets that the only reason he was in the position to make game-winner against Carolina was that he'd missed two very makable kicks in the first half.

Adam postseason: 81.2%

Ghost postseason: 88.6%

Ghost has been great for most of his career.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Adam postseason: 81.2%

Ghost postseason: 88.6%

Ghost has been great for most of his career.

Including the Colts, yeah. My point is that Gostkowski has been shaky for a few years and most hated hearing that. He sucked under ANY pressure in the last 3 years or 4 seasons, even in the regulation situations where it wasn't a "pressure moment".

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

For example, everyone forgets that the only reason he was in the position to make game-winner against Carolina was that he'd missed two very makable kicks in the first half.

I'm not saying Adam was perfect, I know he missed a couple of kicks in one particular postseason run. There is no debate however that he is the most clutch kicker in Patriots history.

32 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Including the Colts, yeah. My point is that Gostkowski has been shaky for a few years and most hated hearing that.

100% not true. Most fans have known Ghost has been out of it for a few seasons.

He sucked under ANY pressure in the last 3 years or 4 seasons, even in the regulation situations where it wasn't a "pressure moment".

This past decade, he’s missed 3 FGs in the playoffs and the only loss in those 3 games was vs Philly. Ghost has been very comparable to Vinatieri - just never had to make those signature kicks.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Well then, most of those fans weren't represented here until it became, (pardon the oncoming pun), PAINFULLY obvious in 2019.

You got here in 2018, I don’t want to hear that, lol. 

The pushback you got last year, I remember, was because you said he was a below average kicker. 

He still only missed 3 FGs this decade in the playoffs. 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

The pushback you got last year, I remember, was because you said he was a below average kicker. 

dude been posting here for like 13-14 years under different names fwiw

• Like 1

I understand Gostkowski is an all time great for sure but after 07 when Bill went for it on 4th and 13 instead of the field goal, I've always been skeptical. Truly an end to an era, though. Will never mean as much as VInatieri but Pats definitely can find kickers.

• Like 1

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

I've posted here since right before 2007.

The pushback I received is what I'm alluding to since people didn't want to admit the obvious which was the Gostkowski was in decline. The quality of his kicks, even converted ones, become increasingly shaky.

The missed field goals and extra points have come at the worst time, and within the past 3 or 4 seasons like I said. Vinatieri always came through and redeemed himself on the Patriots if he missed a field goal. Extra point misses I don't recall him missing either.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I've posted here since right before 2007.

The pushback I received is what I'm alluding to since people didn't want to admit the obvious which was the Gostkowski was in decline. The quality of his kicks, even converted ones, become increasingly shaky.

The missed field goals and extra points have come at the worst time, and within the past 3 or 4 seasons like I said. Vinatieri always came through and redeemed himself on the Patriots if he missed a field goal. Extra point misses I don't recall him missing either.

In a playoff loss, he’s missed one FG this decade. You’re overplaying it.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

In a playoff loss, he’s missed one FG this decade. You’re overplaying it.

I'm glad he is gone. Untrustworthy, overpaid. Gone. Shouldn't have been re-signed to begin with. Like I said. He missed extra points which impacted games as much as missed field goals which made even the wins tougher. The makes he had too were usually close. Clearly it was time for him to go as his production is replaceable.