FLOODx's Return Mock 3/23/20

Orleanz

Round 1 Pick 24: Kenneth Murray [LB; Oklahoma]

murray_zpswuqxtwat.jpg

The Saints' addition of Emmanuel Sanders allows them to focus on defense with pick 24. Our NFC South rivals have all added talent to the offensive side of the ball this offseason, and we'll need to bolster our defensive unit in order to stay atop the division. Linebacker is at the top of the Saints' needs with the health concerns of Alex Anzalone and Kiko Alonso and the lack of depth behind them. Kenneth Murray's athleticism and range will benefit the Saints in the underneath passing game and give them a dynamic playmaker next to Demario Davis. 

*TRADE* Round 2 pick 50: A.J. Terrell [CB; Clemson] *Saints send picks 88, 170, and their 2nd round selection in 2021 for pick 50

terrell_zpsqqrz4iol.jpg

The Saints are in "win-now" mode and cant take a chance on developmental prospects in the early rounds. Loomis makes a call to his old colleague, Ryan Pace, and snags one of the Bears' two second round selections. Terrell has experience on the biggest of stages at the collegiate level and can make an immediate impact in the Saints' secondary. At 6'1 195 lbs, Terrell has prototypical size to be a starting Corner in the NFL.

Round 4 pick 130: Van Jefferson [WR; Florida]

jeff_zps2tsxyzv5.jpg

Thus far in his career, TreQuan Smith has been somewhat of a disappointment. Competetion and depth will help improve what was probably the Saints' weakest unit in 2019. Jefferson has experience against SEC defenses and his versatility allows him to line up and all over the formation.

Round 6 pick 204; Kyle Murphy [OL; Rhode Island]

murphy_zpshsmqurlw.jpg

You can never have too much depth in the trenches. Murphy had experience lining up at Center, Guard, and Tackle at Rhode Island.

Edited by Orleanz

I think the Saints would love either Queen or Murray to fall to them at 24 and by judging how FA has gone so far it’s a possibility. Personally my preference would be Queen who I have comped as a young Jon Vilma. I also ain’t writing off a top flanker like Justin Jefferson, tee Higgins or Denzel Mims at 24 even with the addition of Sanders. AJ would be a good fit but I think he’s a 1st round pick all day. People bang on him because of his outing vs Jamar Chase but honestly that can be said about every top corner prospect in this draft lol.

i think we need a playmaking LB ... but Justin Jefferson’s fit is so seamless and would make this offense so explosive if he’s there I might have to take him.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Murray might be the higher rated LB, but man does Queen's ability and tool box remind me a lot of Deion Jones coming out. I think I prefer him if we're taking a LB that high.

In this scenario Queen is taken by the Raiders 19th overall. 

3 hours ago, Orleanz said:

To me the gap between Queen and Murray doesn’t justify a trade up, and we’d have to give up two #1s to get Simmons

I wouldn't be too upset if he becomes the player he's projected to be.  Especially since we have enough talent we have enough young talent we have to pay, skipping another 1st might not be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Any chance that we could get LB Simmons if he falls outside of the top 8? That seems like it would be slam dunk pick.

His floor would have to be Carolina no? They just lost Keuchly and Simmons is the type of talent that could revemp their D.

Still if the Saints see him as a good enough piece, I can see us trading up. We've traded up 17 times in the 14 years Payton's been at the helm. If they like a player, they'll go get him.

Personally, I'm keeping my eyes on the WRs. With the talent in this draft both in WR and other positions (OT's for example), If we see one of the bigger name WR fall to 15 or later, I could see Payton trade up for themm LB's be damned lol. (and make this offense absolutely bonkers lol)

On 3/30/2020 at 6:44 PM, Raves said:

Jeudy seems like a great fit next to Thomas

I think he'll be frustrated under Brees, as he's a deep threat guy (Brees isn't that), but will be a really good WR down the road, as in a few years from now. This pick could be a good "age fill" opposite Thomas and Sanders.

I still think some LB talent is needed. Davis isn't getting any younger, and although he's one of the best in the league, if he goes down with any sort of injury, our defense is hosed.