Pondering the Imponderable

HH650

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Agreed. Winston is a bit of a vote of non-confidence in Baker. Winston still expects to start and will push hard to be the starter. We don't need that this year.

Baker definitely needs to play on edge this year. I believe this team can win this year and that Baker knows it. And Baker knows it's year three, put up or shut up time. We need to give Baker a chance to learn the new system and have support. It looks pretty unlikely that another big name QB will be coming in from free agency.

I know you're an on the fence guy...are there some QB's 3rd round or later who you would want to to draft as a developmental guy/sleeper elite QB upside? 

I was thinking we could carry (1)Baker, (2)(mentor coach) Keenum and (3) a young developmental player who is going to be the unofficial #2 on the depth chart and could possibly be a high level NFL starter in his own right.

Jalen Hurts? 

That is a great idea.

Also would strip Mayfield of another level of comfort/enabling.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

That is a great idea.

Also would strip Mayfield of another level of comfort/enabling.

I don't know if Baker really needs to be stripped away as much as he needs to be regimented, have a solid structure of coaching around him and people to answer to.

Keenum added the dimension of a Josh McCown 2.0 so Baker will have a veteran presence to model maturity, work ethic, attitude etc. Also, Keenum is no slouch. Baker pretty much has no comfort zone anymore. Freddie and Dorsey are gone. The backup QB already knows the new coach's system. I'd call that some real pressure.

A rookie QB like Jalen Hurts (or someone else? Fromm?) in the third would be an acceptable amount of fire to light under Baker.

Also, 17 game seasons are one more reason to roll with 3 QB. I'm a big fan of 3 QB, one being a rookie on a cheap rookie deal.

I don't think it sends a good message if we grabbed a QB at 41.

No chance in hell that Herbert falls to 10 or that we would take him if he did. But Herbert is going to be good I bet. 

MAYBE if we had the #1 pick would we consider taking Burrow, but I doubt that even. 

What is this thread? We can’t have a politics thread, but we can have this trash can of a topic?

Not pooping on you, OP. It’s boring season so any topic is fair game IMO. 

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I know you're an on the fence guy...are there some QB's 3rd round or later who you would want to to draft as a developmental guy

I think if a guy like Jacob Eason somehow fell to the mid-rounds I’d be OK with that. I think he’s probably more of a long-term quality back up than a guy with good starting upside, but I know some might feel differently and he’s likely to go higher than I’d take him. I am OK not targeting a starting caliber quarterback this year though. I think this year is about having a quality veteran back up who can push Mayfield to get the most. Next year could be different, but ideally we get a lot better play this season out of the position.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

If Herbert is there at 10 I ransom him to some team who thought they'd have to wait a couple years for their heir apparent (NE, NO, OAK, etc.) and build a powerhouse out of the 3-4 1st/2nd round picks I make them give me for it. And I laugh the whole time because I'm not even remotely sure Herbert will be good. Burrow will be good assuming he doesn't get ruined by Cinci. Tua will be good if his medical works out. Herbert is all tools little show so far, and dudes like that flame out all the time. Heck, I think Mariota was a much better prospect coming out and look what's happened to him.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone

It is good to hear the consensus is that the grim days of idiocy are over here.  I hope Baker will get the kind of support you identify as needed for him, and it also is surprising that a number of mock sites recently have Herbert falling as low as to the Patriots.

Onward.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

If Herbert is there at 10 I ransom him to some team who thought they'd have to wait a couple years for their heir apparent (NE, NO, OAK, etc.) and build a powerhouse out of the 3-4 1st/2nd round picks I make them give me for it. And I laugh the whole time because I'm not even remotely sure Herbert will be good. Burrow will be good assuming he doesn't get ruined by Cinci. Tua will be good if his medical works out. Herbert is all tools little show so far, and dudes like that flame out all the time. Heck, I think Mariota was a much better prospect coming out and look what's happened to him.

It could even be jordan love that people want. 

We could potentially trade down twice with qb leverage. 

1st tatget oakland, lose two spots and get a 3rd and a 5th

Next target new england, at 23, a future 1st and 3rd this year. 

Expecting new england to be average will give us a solid pick next year.

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

It could even be jordan love that people want. 

We could potentially trade down twice with qb leverage. 

1st tatget oakland, lose two spots and get a 3rd and a 5th

Next target new england, at 23, a future 1st and 3rd this year. 

Expecting new england to be average will give us a solid pick next year.

I'm with you here. I've been floating that thought for a couple Month's now.

I feel there will be a "2nd" Auction in this draft.

I predict there is going to be a run on QB's, with Burrow going, then Young (Skin's gonna want WAY too MUCH for 2), the Jockying for Tua...then I feel the Blue Chippers are going to fall in line (Brown, Okudah, Simmons), a Surprise Pick somewhere in there (I think a Wr) and then around pick 9 starts the Auction for Love, Eason and possibly Fromm (if Herbert is still there, I gaurentee that would happen).

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, it’s not really even that though.

He’s here for 4 at a minimum, probably 5 unless he doesn’t progress at all.  Even if he isn’t a stud but progresses, we’re ok.

If he can’t look above average with a Pro Bowl TE, Landry, OBJ, the best RB in the league, and an above average to good OL, we should move on halfway through 2021. 

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If he can’t look above average with a Pro Bowl TE, Landry, OBJ, the best RB in the league, and an above average to good OL, we should move on halfway through 2021. 

Define look above average?

A good stat line?  Yeah, sure.  

I’m talking more about if he still needs more 1-2 read plays, half field reads, understanding coverages, etc.  That stuff takes time and having great WR’s doesn’t really help.