Q Dunbar Gifted to the Seahawks

MKnight82

I would have liked more but what does this tell us?

dunbar with one year left on his contract and Very little experience starting over five seasons just isn’t valued at more than a 5th. I’m sure everyone had the chance to bid- and thats the best we were offered.  I don’t think we gage a special deal to Seattle. Trading Dunbar is what I’d call an “Attention Getter”. 

it’s a new day, a new way, and if a player doesn’t like it- you’re not going to be here. 

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

You don’t have to give a guy away for cents on the dollar to make a point.  He’s worth more than a 5th.

He'll be 28 when the season starts, can't stay healthy, needs an extension and wanted out.  All of this works against the Redskins bargaining point.  

If you don't believe me, then maybe you'll listen to Keim

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Dunbar played in seven games in 2018, starting six, and started all 11 contests he played in last year.  He will also turn 28 when training camp is scheduled to begin, and a new team is likely going to have to give him a fairly decent extension.  

Put yourselves in the shoes of the Seahawks for a minute, or imagine the Redskins are trading for a player similar to Dunbar........is this really a bad deal?  Without much leverage here, and how trades usually work in the NFL, it's par for the course.  Maybe trying to get back a future seventh rounder but that's about it.  

Completely understand. But if we weren't getting at least a 4th for him, I would;ve just made him play for us this year and let him walk in FA (hoping he balls out this year)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Has onyone been able to confirm we both received and sent our 2020 5th rounders?

I asked the same question yesterday, but, at this point, I think it would have been leaked from the Redskins if we only gave up a 2021 5th - to calm down the hysteria that hit the fanbase yesterday, if nothing else.

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Dunbar played in seven games in 2018, starting six, and started all 11 contests he played in last year.  He will also turn 28 when training camp is scheduled to begin, and a new team is likely going to have to give him a fairly decent extension.  

Put yourselves in the shoes of the Seahawks for a minute, or imagine the Redskins are trading for a player similar to Dunbar........is this really a bad deal?  Without much leverage here, and how trades usually work in the NFL, it's par for the course.  Maybe trying to get back a future seventh rounder but that's about it.  

1. Trading Dunbar saved some money. Dunbar was crying about his contract and wanted to get paid, when he should be grateful the Redskins kept him around and continued to believe in him. 

2. He socially distanced himself from the Redskins by using social media to whine about his discontent. Saved a locker room fiasco from happening. 

3. 28 years old. Injury laden 2019. Last year of contract. Not a lot of good signs. Better to get something than nothing. Most teams weren't going to hang a high pick out there for a guy with a few red flags. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Completely understand. But if we weren't getting at least a 4th for him, I would;ve just made him play for us this year and let him walk in FA (hoping he balls out this year)

Nope. Take what you can get. Rivera said he wants people who are all in. Dunbar was not all in. Very evident. He was an UDFA and we got a 5th in return. 

Edited by mike23md

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

That's not Rivera's MO coming in here to change the culture.  He wants guys who are all in.  Any other situation, and I understand letting him sit around and play, but not right now.  Also, look at what Keim is saying, it seems we took the best offers.  Other teams were offering packages with sixth and seventh round picks.  The Redskins have had few quality players over the years, so we tend to overrate them, but a fifth round value for Dunbar seems appropriate, given the red flags against him.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's not Rivera's MO coming in here to change the culture.  He wants guys who are all in.  Any other situation, and I understand letting him sit around and play, but not right now.  Also, look at what Keim is saying, it seems we took the best offers.  Other teams were offering packages with sixth and seventh round picks.  The Redskins have had few quality players over the years, so we tend to overrate them, but a fifth round value for Dunbar seems appropriate, given the red flags against him.  

Yeah, I get it. I don't like it. But I get it.

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

Nope. Take what you can get. Rivera said he wants people who are all in. Dunbar was not all in. Very evident. He was an UDFA and we got a 5th in return. 

Yup. As I said to naptown, I get it. I don't like that we couldn't wrangle a 4th, but it is what it is.

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I guess I just have to wonder is if if would have been smarter to let the Trent Williams situation work out before we show the world that we will take low value to get rid of an unhappy player.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

I guess I just have to wonder is if if would have been smarter to let the Trent Williams situation work out before we show the world that we will take low value to get rid of an unhappy player.  

Again, I'll reference John Keim, but this was the going rate on Dunbar.  We as Redskins fans have a habit of over-rating our good players because over the past decade, good players have been in sort supply.   The rest of the offers were sixth and seventh round picks, and the Seahawks came in with a fifth.  Dunbar has a lot of red flags and points on the Seahawks side in a trade negotiation.  

Considering how dug in Trent Williams is on the contract demands, that one isn't really on us either.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Again, I'll reference John Keim, but this was the going rate on Dunbar.  We as Redskins fans have a habit of over-rating our good players because over the past decade, good players have been in sort supply.   The rest of the offers were sixth and seventh round picks, and the Seahawks came in with a fifth.  Dunbar has a lot of red flags and points on the Seahawks side in a trade negotiation.  

Considering how dug in Trent Williams is on the contract demands, that one isn't really on us either.  

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f5508c8fe0711a1a5e