Offensive Line

onejayhawk

We have had an OL thread annually for years. I'll kick this one off with an article on LDT. After four years he is really coming into his own. 

The knock on LDT was that he didn’t really seem to grasp the nuances of the game in the past, from technique issues to handling stunts/blitzes. He’s improved in every way every season he’s been a Chief, and deserves all the credit in the world for that.

If the game against the Eagles is any indication, LDT has indeed taken another jump forward, this time to the best lineman the Chiefs have and maybe one of the best at his position in the league. Here’s hoping he keeps trending up. Frankly, at this point, I have no reason to doubt he’ll do so.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/9/20/16336998/chiefs-best-offensive-lineman-field-against-eagles-name-laurent-duvernay-tardif

Generally, I think the OL has been significantly better than any in recent memory. You have to go back to the Roaf/Waters/Shields group to find better. After two weeks FBO has the Chiefs rated #1 in run blocking, with top scores in 3 of the 4 subcategories. Given seven sacks, the pass blocking should not be as high and isn't. However, especially given the level of defenses we have faced, it's an excellent showing.

J

Witzmann was a weak spot vs.the Eagles. But looks like Ehinger is getting healthy - started practicing. Guess it's only a question of time when he'll take over.
Fulton at C for the foreseeable future ... we'll see. There are much shabbier backups than him - plenty of teams would be happy to have him starting.

Good thing is that Alex seems to trust his legs again if need be. Made at least a couple of crucial scrambles/runs last Sunday.

I've definitely been impressed by the unit as a whole so far. Even given the Philly game. Morse looks like an absolute force. Shame he went down, but he'll be back. LDT looks excellent. I've been a bit underwhelmed by Schwartz, and Witzmann has had some predictable struggles, but given the OL performance around the league we're definitely better off than most teams. Especially in run blocking. We're clearly good enough to dominate the bad fronts, but not quite good enough to stonewall the great ones. Which is fine. I'm not sure we'll face a better or deeper DL than Philly. Mack, Miller, and Bosa are threats in the division, but I don't think their teams have full DLs on the same level.

• 3 weeks later...

What are we looking at for Sunday Night? Fisher/Witzmann/Fulton/Erving/Schwartz?

Washington and Philly both have impressive front sevens and the Chargers' pass rush its top drawer. This may be the best complete defense to date. That said, we hung 461 yards, a 100 yards rushing game and 2 TD on a top five defense in Washington.

Here is an article focusing on the OL as the backbone of the revved up offense.

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/What-Has-Stood-Out-About-Chiefs-Offense-One-Experts-Answer-Will-Surprise-You/97acb1a4-17b5-420b-95f3-b23be4a747d2

J

I'd guess Ehinger starts at RG. I'm really impressed with the interior OL play thus far. Witzmann has been really good aside from the Philly game, LDT was awesome (probably our best lineman this year), and Fulton did well in his replacement of Morse. Schwartz has been, imho, the big disappointment considering he's our most established player there 

34 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What are we looking at for Sunday Night? Fisher/Witzmann/Fulton/Erving/Schwartz?

Washington and Philly both have impressive front sevens and the Chargers' pass rush its top drawer. This may be the best complete defense to date. That said, we hung 461 yards, a 100 yards rushing game and 2 TD on a top five defense in Washington.

Here is an article focusing on the OL as the backbone of the revved up offense.

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/What-Has-Stood-Out-About-Chiefs-Offense-One-Experts-Answer-Will-Surprise-You/97acb1a4-17b5-420b-95f3-b23be4a747d2

J

I'm still thinking Ehinger gets back in at one guard spot. Either moving Witzmann to RG so Ehinger can take his old LG spot, or moving Ehinger to RG. I get the feeling that we just want to spend the season reworking Cameron Erving from the ground up, and then he'll get his shot to fight for playing time in the offseason. The fact that Devey went in at RG before Erving means he's not seeing playing time anytime soon (Erving was active last week, too, just saw one snap as an extra OL.)

It is definitely impressive how our OL has managed all these injuries. Looking around the league, and seeing how horrible some teams' entire offensive lines are, I honestly feel like we have 5 interior offensive linemen that could start on at least 10+ teams around the league. If we can get Erving to show the potential he came into the league with, we'll legitimately have 8 offensive linemen that are all at least decent.

The guys know they have a special talent in Kareem Hunt and want to do all to help him. This is to their credit. With that I think there's some outperforming the norm going on. Houston's defense is no slouch and we'll see if the damaged Oline can keep it up the good work.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Contrary to our thoughts, Cam Erving played the whole game at RG. In fact, none of the five starters missed a snap. Hunt had a workmanlike 100 yard game and Alex Smith had an MVP kind of game. The OL did something right.

J

I've heard that Erving was solid, which compared to the level seen in Cleveland is a sigh of relief.

The OL is a patchwork held together with duct tape. Despite that it's still holding up well 

Erving held his own. The one hold in the run game, and there was one running play where he got turned around and looked a little silly. They probably could've called him for holding a time or two in pass pro, but they just straight up didn't call holding in the passing game in this game, as most of us noticed.

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I've heard that Erving was solid, which compared to the level seen in Cleveland is a sigh of relief.

The OL is a patchwork held together with duct tape. Despite that it's still holding up well 

I remember seeing him whiff on a couple of blocks and falling on his face. I'm still not comfortable with him there long term. He needs to stick to RT once other guys get healthy.

I think we can agree that Erving had a good debut. From various comments, it seems like he can at least spot play anywhere but C. With some time working with the unit, he'll get better.

The next question has to do with his future. Is this our RT in 2018? 

J

12 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I think we can agree that Erving had a good debut. From various comments, it seems like he can at least spot play anywhere but C. With some time working with the unit, he'll get better.

The next question has to do with his future. Is this our RT in 2018? 

J

Eh I think it depends on the cap next year. Who we want to keep and such.

id rather Erving get more seasoning and try to gain more muscle 

Archived