Jimmy Smith Re-signing with Ravens

coordinator0

Wow, that is a brilliant deal for us. 

Means that the secondary will be the same as last year at worst from a personnel standpoint, with the potential that adding a top level slot CB in Tavon Young to take it to another level

49 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Yup, love Jimmy. Glad he's back, we're stocked in the backend. Would like to get another young Safety in the draft for some youth. 

Yep. I would expect the team to try Marshall out in a role similar to Carr last season (CB/S hybrid) given that his scouting reports coming out suggested that he may be better served making the positional switch at the next level. I agree, though, that the team would benefit from adding a S in the top half of the draft. I really like how the FO seems to be building talent/contract pipelines in this regard to prepare for the future while still contending in the present (I think trading Hurst for a second is a great example of this).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Incredible deal, wow. No can say Jimmy isn't loyal. He's always given us the hometown rub.

Absolutely. I’ve always loved Jimmy as he was my sig for a long time (before Tucker) on the old forum (what I most miss about this version), but when he was really defending Lamar during and after that Chargers game... that’s when I really felt his character and his leadership. He’s that hungry veteran that you love having. He’s going to do whatever it takes to win this club another SB. Love it! And hopefully when we win the SB this season he will be a huge part of it to really make sure he earns a spot into the Ring of Honor. Two rings and being a prominent factor in both rings, I feel would be enough to do it.

• Like 1

One thing I will say though is that after these last two deals, I’m more likely to believe the idea that Judon might actually be returning and playing this season on the franchise tag. If these other guys are doing one year deals... especially a guy like Levine that Judon is really close to (along with Peanut), then Judon returning seems much more sensical.

Without as much offseason options for guys to gel, keeping the status quo might be the new revamped plan of action. We’ll see though... it’s almost April and once we get there... all those questions (and more) will be answered.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

MOne thing I will say though is that after these last two deals, I’m more likely to believe the idea that Judon might actually be returning and playing this season on the franchise tag. If these other guys are doing one year deals... especially a guy like Levine that Judon is really close to (along with Peanut), then Judon returning seems much more sensical.

Without as much offseason options for guys to gel, keeping the status quo might be the new revamped plan of action. We’ll see though... it’s almost April and once we get there... all those questions (and more) will be answered.

I started off the offseason saying, lolno to paying Judon top pass rusher money. Then I moved to let's just tag and keep Judon, because the tag isn't bad at all for 1 year of his prime. Now, I'm starting to think a multi-year deal where he's paid more than a tier below the top market could be something that happens. If no one is going to offer him stupid money, and it doesn't seem like the hype is there, then maybe he will take reasonable money on a contract that works for both sides. From the Ravens' side there really isn't a need to lose a starter, if the market isn't there for a 2nd/3rd round pick and an $18-20M a year deal. I'd sign up for 4/$60M range.