Jimmy Smith Re-signing with Ravens

coordinator0

29 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I started off the offseason saying, lolno to paying Judon top pass rusher money. Then I moved to let's just tag and keep Judon, because the tag isn't bad at all for 1 year of his prime. Now, I'm starting to think a multi-year deal where he's paid more than a tier below the top market could be something that happens. If no one is going to offer him stupid money, and it doesn't seem like the hype is there, then maybe he will take reasonable money on a contract that works for both sides. From the Ravens' side there really isn't a need to lose a starter, if the market isn't there for a 2nd/3rd round pick and an $18-20M a year deal. I'd sign up for 4/$60M range.

That deal is on the upper-end of what I'd be OK with. I think Judon is going to want a 5- or 6-year deal, though. This contract is really going to be his only bite at the apple given his age and draft status. Maybe that means he takes a bit less to guarantee a pay day now, but it's also possible he plays out the tag and tries to get that one huge deal next offseason. Obviously tough to speculate on the motivations at play absent the behind-the-scenes intel his agent would be able to share with him.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/jimmy-smith-expects-a-new-hybrid-role-in-ravens-defense

^I don't normally pay much attention to team articles, but it's good to know that Jimmy and team are open to using Jimmy in a lot of "hybrid" roles. He would be one of our best options to cover tight ends in the slot. 

This would be a change from last year too, when we had Humphrey slide inside a ton and kept Smith and Peters on the edges when we had all 3. We can keep Peters and Humphrey on the outside now. Smaller quicker guys in the slot can be covered by Tavon and Jimmy can take the bigger slot receivers/TEs.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/jimmy-smith-expects-a-new-hybrid-role-in-ravens-defense

^I don't normally pay much attention to team articles, but it's good to know that Jimmy and team are open to using Jimmy in a lot of "hybrid" roles. He would be one of our best options to cover tight ends in the slot. 

This would be a change from last year too, when we had Humphrey slide inside a ton and kept Smith and Peters on the edges when we had all 3. We can keep Peters and Humphrey on the outside now. Smaller quicker guys in the slot can be covered by Tavon and Jimmy can take the bigger slot receivers/TEs.

I actually like this a lot. I was thinking Marshall might play some of that hybrid CB/S role that Carr played last year, but Jimmy is a good fit there as well. 

• 1 month later...

Probably taking on Carr's role from last season. But much better. If Young comes back and plays like himself the secondary is going to be even scarier next season. There's a big difference in his ability to cover the slot and Humphrey's even though Marlon wasn't bad at doing it.

That allows Clark to do the same stuff too. I'm getting chills thinking about how good the defense will be. Forget about the offense this is going to be really fun to watch.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Probably taking on Carr's role from last season. But much better. If Young comes back and plays like himself the secondary is going to be even scarier next season. There's a big difference in his ability to cover the slot and Humphrey's even though Marlon wasn't bad at doing it.

That allows Clark to do the same stuff too. I'm getting chills thinking about how good the defense will be. Forget about the offense this is going to be really fun to watch.

Would be interesting to see how Smith looks in that role. If he thrives with that type of transition, it could open him up to an extension at some point towards the end of the season, especially if the rumors of a culture rift between the Ravens and ET have any sort of legs to it. Better to have Jimmy who is a quality locker room leader (will never forget him sticking up for Lamar against the Chargers), than a possible locker room cancer... again, depending on a) how Smith looks b) if ET loses a step and/or c) if ET has more locker room friction.

But admittedly it’s a lot of ifs, just a situation worth monitoring over the course of the season IMO.