Roster Moves

KC_Guy

34 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Here's a new one: 

This means he'll be  a free agent unless the Chiefs re-sign him prior to 14 March.

Oh wow. What does this do for the cap? Is it considered cutting him where we end up with 2.25mil in dead money? Is he considered a free agent for 2019 comp pick possibility?

I personally hope we bring him back as depth with an incentive laden deal.

Cap wise it's the same as a cut - the 2.25 M$ prorated signing bonus will remain as dead money. Whether a voided contract- which in fact means he never was under contract - makes him eligible for a comp pick is a good question. Relevant only though if he continues to play for a team other than the Chiefs - making more than approx 1 M$/yr.

Update:

According to Joel Corry a voiding contract is considered an expiring contract, thus Johnson might in proiciple net a comp pick:

I can get behind that. 1 year deal means probably cheap. He looked real good just a year or two ago. And as bad as he looked for Oakland last year, I don't exactly trust them to use DBs properly given the night and day difference in Sean Smith with us vs Sean Smith with them.

I read he gets 2,25 million base salary with 3,75 million in incentives, so he could earn alltogether 6 million. Which number would count agains the cap? I guess 2,25 million, probably also depending on if he makes the roster and other bonusses, right?

It's a 1 year proven deal, which is fine. With Peters, Fuller, Nelson and now Amerson we upgraded the CB position. Maybe Amerson could be even moved to Safety.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I can get behind that. 1 year deal means probably cheap. He looked real good just a year or two ago. And as bad as he looked for Oakland last year, I don't exactly trust them to use DBs properly given the night and day difference in Sean Smith with us vs Sean Smith with them.

I would agree with this if he didn't have his only good season in his career under Del Rio/Norton. Washington gave up on him, too.

Amerson was a documented scrub before he came to Oakland. Gave up the most yards in the NFL one year in Washington iirc. He's a guy who has the perfect traits you want in a CB and has youth and athleticism but he just isn't good and it's frustrating. He'll make a couple plays here and there that get you excited but then get burnt on a long TD where he falls over his own feet (he's on Tyreek Hill's highlight reel multiple times). Just not a consistent player and has more lows than highs.

I'm not sure if he's the ideal guy to play across from Peters, where I'm sure he'll he preyed upon.

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

He has nowhere to go but up. Issue I see is KC keeps their CBs on one side of the field. This is what Ken Norton Jr. was doing and teams would matchup against Amerson and expose him over and over. When Pagano took over, Smith followed the bigger WRs and was successful. 

Injuries are also a concern. Multiple concussions lately slowed him down from playing among other lingering things.

Just some thoughts about Amerson and free agency in general:

With Amerson on board I wonder how the CB depth chart will look like:

Peters & Fuller as starters, Fuller moving inside in three CB sets? Amerson #3 or Nelson? Camp will show I think.
One thing is for sure: The Chiefs are developping depth at the position, and rightfully so.

Still waiting for details on Amerson's contract. From what I heard: 2.25 M$ in 2018, 3.75 M$ in incentives. I'd expect those to be tied to NLTBE criteria, thus they would become cap relevant only in 2019.

General observation:

The Chiefs have a load of Free Agents that may net them a comp pick (Colquitt, Logan, Fulton, Wilson, Johnson, Pierre Louis, even Mitchell) - so filling the FA ranks with guys that won't jeopardize a comp pick haul next year makes all kind of sense.

Archived